Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

Graveman was done before the CBA. The 15.5 MILLION we've given to the 3 guys post-CBA, could almost pay for a real RFer.

Not with the prices and length of contracts they are going for.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Really, with a team this good? You really can't be happy no matter what they do.

No, they're doing the 2003 thing again. They have a chance to put the team over the top and they refuse to do it. If an ALC team surprises, it might backfire on them like it did in 2003. 

They have proven that outside of a stroke of luck in 2005, they're not interested in winning championships, just stringing their fans along. The amount of contempt they have for their fanbase is ridiculous. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s be honest, we’re at a franchise high record payroll, the obvious guess is to assume it won’t go any higher.  If I were a fake insider, that’s the route I’d go if I’m playing the odds.

That's not Orlando's new gig is it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, they're doing the 2003 thing again. They have a chance to put the team over the top and they refuse to do it. If an ALC team surprises, it might backfire on them like it did in 2003. 

That team was not as good as this one and they've spent near the cap which was what everyone always asked for.

You will be the person that if they win a world series you will be unsatisfied, call it luck and refuse to go to a game unless they add 3 more all star players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can i get a .gif that shows Hahn painting himself into a corner ?

This is quite funny, you have Tottenham Hotspur getting roasted by their new UK "paint sponsor" Dulux...about as close to being "painted into a corner" as I could quickly find.

I guess it's the equivalent of Guaranteed Rate making a decrepit/dilapidated house in the RF position (or you could also go with 2B, or maybe both?)

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

That team was not as good as this one and they've spent near the cap which was what everyone always asked for.

You will be the person that if they win a world series you will be unsatisfied, call it luck and refuse to go to a game unless they add 3 more all star players.

All they had to do this winter was fix RF and replace Keuchel. They couldn't even do that. 

8 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Graveman was done before the CBA. The 15.5 MILLION we've given to the 3 guys post-CBA, could almost pay for a real RFer.

If you want to ignore the other 3-4 years at ~$20M AAV, sure. Still needed relievers and a 2B, so this statement doesn’t really work. Subtract Harrison and Valazquez if you will, but that is $7M. It’s nothing. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

All they had to do this winter was fix RF and replace Keuchel. They couldn't even do that. 

I continue to disagree thise are the priorities. However do you think either of those would be cheap when they near the cap?

Not saying I agree with everything they've done. But you aren't asking for easy additions.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

All they had to do this winter was fix RF and replace Keuchel (and address back-up catcher, add one more back-end starter for needed insurance with an abbreviated spring training, replace Madrigal with a plan beyond Leury, and trading Kimbrel to free up that money to fix RF). They couldn't even do that. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Two things. The trade itself, and accepting his option. Now let’s see if they trade him.

They accepted it to get some value out of the trade, whether thru him or thru moving him. I'll cheer him on but be cognizant of what happened. Wasn't a huge fan at the time, but if we don't move him I hope he can at least be a great setup guy. As much as I don't want to see ownership/leadership rewarded for bad decision making, banners hang forever even if dumb decisions lead there.

Just now, ptatc said:

I continue to disagree thise are the priorities. However do you think either of those would be cheap when they near the cap?

Not saying I agree with everything they've done. But you aren't asking for easy additions.

Like I would have been ok with rolling Leury out there at 2B If they fixed RF, which has been a problem since they traded Rios. 

If they didn't pick up Kimbrel, and signed Graveman, Kelly, Conforto and someone with upside like Drew Smyly to compete with Keuchel for innings that would have been a successful offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

They accepted it to get some value out of the trade, whether thru him or thru moving him. I'll cheer him on but be cognizant of what happened. Wasn't a huge fan at the time, but if we don't move him I hope he can at least be a great setup guy. As much as I don't want to see ownership/leadership rewarded for bad decision making, banners hang forever even if dumb decisions lead there.

I’m really not sure which is worse. That they couldn’t recognize that the 2nd highest paid reliever in baseball wouldn’t have trade value coming off several weak seasons, or that they recognized it but were determined to prove that they weren’t wrong on the trade and were blinded by their own arrogance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I’m counting what, $45 million in new money spent this offseason (including Kimbrel’s option).

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like I would have been ok with rolling Leury out there at 2B If they fixed RF, which has been a problem since they traded Rios. 

If they didn't pick up Kimbrel, and signed Graveman, Kelly, Conforto and someone with upside like Drew Smyly to compete with Keuchel for innings that would have been a successful offseason. 

See Eaton 2016, Avi Garcia 2017... Rios wasn't quite as hated as Greg775 made him out to be, but he wasn't exactly a "problem solver" in many aspects for the White Sox.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m really not sure which is worse. That they couldn’t recognize that the 2nd highest paid reliever in baseball wouldn’t have trade value coming off several weak seasons, or that they recognized it but were determined to prove that they weren’t wrong on the trade and were blinded by their own arrogance.

And we all know, it was the 2nd statement that happened there. No one was willing to admit the terrible move that was made, so now we pay for it twice.