Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

25 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Sheets being involved in a trade for one of the Oakland SP's would make a lot of sense.

He's a viable, cheap alternative since it seems like a given they'll deal Olson.

Gonna be very surprised if Sheets is still on the team next week.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

A is Conforto, B is Bryant, and C is Castellanos. And I'm taking Conforto all day.

You got it.  The only thing I manipulated was Castellanos’ defensive numbers because he was epically bad in 2017 and fairly consistent from 2019 to 2021.  Surprisingly he grades out better than Bryant in RF if you only include those three years.

And fully agree Conforto should be the primary target, even before you consider he will likely get the lowest contract of the three.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s one of the three guys yes.

The players are all comparable enough where I'd default back to Bryant because of positional versatility. I think being able to play LF, RF, CF (he'd be overextended here but he did play over 100 innings in CF last season), 3B, & 1B at a star caliber level gives him value that isn't reflected in WAR. In a lot of ways, he is a 2022 version of Ben Zobrist. I know this might seem like a stretch, but given how willing Bryant has been to play other positions, I think he could likely be passable at 2B if a team had to start playing him there in a pinch.

"In 2018, Doug Fearing, former Dodgers head of research and development and current head of Zelus Analytics, penned an academic piece about the value of versatility to a roster. He focused on Ben Zobrist in that paper, but his findings presaged Chris Taylor’s importance to the Dodgers. By trying to “quantify the impact of flexibility on team and individual performance and explore the player chains that arise when injuries occur,” the paper showed that “top teams can attribute at least one to two wins per season to flexibility alone, generally as a result of long subchains in the infield or outfield.”

I found this quote, from an Eno Sarris article last year, interesting and it's stuck with me ever since.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pal said:

Gonna be very surprised if Sheets is still on the team next week.

I think the league is waiting for the first move to open the floodgates. I think things will move quick with the Sox, my guess would be RF first.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who do people prefer for RF?  Stats are from 2017 to 2021.

• Player A: 2,438 PA | 128 wRC+ | .364 OBP | 111 HRs | +0.1 OAA/100 in RF | 138 wRC+ vs RHP
  • Player B: 2,489 PA | 130 wRC+ | .376 OBP | 102 HRs | -1.4 OAA/100 in RF | 121 wRC+ vs RHP
  • Player C: 2,834 PA | 123 wRC+ | .339 OBP | 124 HRs | -0.7 OAA/100 in RF | 114 wRC+ vs RHP

Can’t really go wrong between A or B tbh. But if I had to pick, I’d go A cuz this team badly needs to improve against RHP. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sheets for Bassitt huh?  Seems inevitable IMO.  The good news is that means Conforto must be coming soon as well.

Sheets for one year of Bassitt would be so White Sox.

I really wish we can finally turn the page in short-sighted trades like this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sheets for Bassitt huh?  Seems inevitable IMO.  The good news is that means Conforto must be coming soon as well.

I would not like that trade. Not opposed to using the Sheets bullet, but not on that move. He has legitimate value to this team even without a clear starting spot. I’d need to really like the return. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That would be rough unless Bassitt agrees to an extension like Lynn did.

I really liked what I saw out of Sheets last year and he put up pretty decent numbers in AAA & AA before that.  The challenge is he has no business playing in the OF, which limits him to 1B & DH.  If he can maintain what he did last year then he‘s got quite a bit of value, but it doesn’t take much regression with the bat to lose all trade value.  I’d rather not move him, but if they add Conforto I won’t be upset if he’s used to add a legit SP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would not like that trade. Not opposed to using the Sheets bullet, but not on that move. He has legitimate value to this team even without a clear starting spot. I’d need to really like the return. 

I'd want at the very least a player with 3 years control.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We don’t have a ton assets that are going to move the needle in a trade though.  Going to be very difficult to add a SP without giving up Sheets.  Maybe Burger is close enough in value to bridge the gap.

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Please explain to me the universal love for Conforto. 

I just looked him up. He hit .232 with 14 homers last year. He’s a career .255 hitter. Are we so in need of a left-handed bat that we’re excited to get a crappy left-handed bat. 

I really don’t understand his appeal. Explain it to me.

I agree.  We need our biggest contract in history to be a sure thing...not a hope it works out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Player A’s wRC+ is only 138 against RHP (typo on my part). Does that change anything?

No, not really.  HR and the wRC+ vs RHP still tip in A’s favour despite a little less OBP.  Even with an option C added I’m not swayed much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We don’t have a ton assets that are going to move the needle in a trade though.  Going to be very difficult to add a SP without giving up Sheets.  Maybe Burger is close enough in value to bridge the gap.

I’m holding Sheets and dumpster diving SP. i know it’s likely Sox will make a trade or two and Sheets is at top of the list of who’s going, but 1 year of Bassitt in return is rough. Another SP would be nice but I’d rather have Gavin around for when we’re sure to need him. This team is plenty good as is to win division. Bassitt isn’t moving the needle on the playoff rotation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

But then again goes this unnecessary anxiety folks have about having to add another SP right now.  

Not many teams contending are going ACES 1-5 out of the gate.

I want Kopech to get a chance to start, PERIOD.   I understand his innings limit, but I'm also not blocking him right now to get a chance to get those innings in. 

And Keuchel isn't going anywhere too.  

So where does another SP fit to start the season? 

Let's use those few bullets we have in $$$ and trade pieces to solidify 

a) Second Base 

b) RF (and even RF I'm not to worried about right now since I also need Vaughn to play the field everyday) 

I haven’t thought about our roster in a long time, but given CWS’s 3 choices for RF I’m starting to think that NO MATTER WHAT our corner OF defense is going to suck.  

Eloy/Robert/Conforto- sucks

Eloy/Robert/Bryant- sucks

Eloy/Robert/Castellanos- sucks

Eloy/Robert/VaughnSheets- sucks

Outside of a huge trade it’s going to suck out there, but Robert probably makes up for that all by himself.  

So if you admit it’s going to suck, what do you do?

• Like 1

Just now, Jerksticks said:

I haven’t thought about our roster in a long time, but given CWS’s 3 choices for RF I’m starting to think that NO MATTER WHAT our corner OF defense is going to suck.  

Eloy/Robert/Conforto- sucks

Eloy/Robert/Bryant- sucks

Eloy/Robert/Castellanos- sucks

Eloy/Robert/VaughnSheets- sucks

Outside of a huge trade it’s going to suck out there, but Robert probably makes up for that all by himself.  

So if you admit it’s going to suck, what do you do?

Sign a good hitter and hope you are winning big early and plug Engel or good defensive outfielder out there in the 7th or 8th

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You got it.  The only thing I manipulated was Castellanos’ defensive numbers because he was epically bad in 2017 and fairly consistent from 2019 to 2021.  Surprisingly he grades out better than Bryant in RF if you only include those three years.

And fully agree Conforto should be the primary target, even before you consider he will likely get the lowest contract of the three.

I was guessing it was Conforto A) & Castellanos B).  I’m not overly interested in Castellanos, but seeing all 3’s stats side by side he would still be my 3rd choice of the three contract demands aside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

But then again goes this unnecessary anxiety folks have about having to add another SP right now.  

Not many teams contending are going ACES 1-5 out of the gate.

I want Kopech to get a chance to start, PERIOD.   I understand his innings limit, but I'm also not blocking him right now to get a chance to get those innings in. 

And Keuchel isn't going anywhere too.  

So where does another SP fit to start the season? 

Let's use those few bullets we have in $$$ and trade pieces to solidify 

a) Second Base 

b) RF (and even RF I'm not to worried about right now since I also need Vaughn to play the field everyday) 

Exactly. Rotation is full. We have mlb ready guys who can take some starts. Grab a cheap vet to compete with Keuchel and go to war.  Keep Gavin. If you’re gonna make a trade, grab an expiring asset SP for Burger + fluff and call it a day.