Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

7 minutes ago, KBX said:

One thing most aren't accounting for is Correa's looming signing with Balmer. That's key to our offseason: Houston getting worse.

Hahn is playing high stakes hold 'em, and y'all are playing Uno. 

Except for that Verlander guy.

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

OK: FANGRAPHS has his defense as being negative according to UZR, and exactly 0 by DRS. He's 34 going on 35.

If they had wanted DEFENSE, then Simmons [who went to the scrubs, has played SS, and is younger than grandpa Josh] was the superior signing.

If they had wanted OFFENSE [relative to what was available], then LHH Miller or SH Villar were the better choices.

If they had wanted a mix of the two, then gambling on Cesar again would have been defensible.

There is no real reason to want Harrison here. He is not better than Leury, and will likely be DFA'ed just like Eaton was DFA'ed.

Nothing to do with keeping Cesar on this roster is defensible. He didn’t fit in. Wasnt the guy. Now that isn’t necessarily a defense of Harrison, but I’ll roll with the ball of energy and spark plug over the drone that is Cesar Hernandez. 

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Yep, Jerry likes teasing a World Series team but will never spend the necessary money to get there

The worst part might be that they actually spent the money. $180 was the dream goal at the offseason start and they’re at that.

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

If they really are “out” of money, why the bloody hell did they pick up an unnecessary $16M option for a pitcher they knew they didn’t want to keep?

Incompetence 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The worst part might be that they actually spent the money. $180 was the dream goal at the offseason start and they’re at that.

After bad defense in RF as well as almost no offensive production from that spot helped doom us in the playoffs, Hahn really thought the fix was 2 utility players and 3 relievers. It's fucking baffling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Unfortunately…..And yet they are still how far away from the luxury tax? You would think the owner who loves baseball and has a legit chance of winning a World Series would push it to there or go over it to fill his holes. Yes yes I know spending money doesn’t equate to winning the whole damn thing but it sure does give you a better chance.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Dumb question but maybe they figured a better cba? I'm reaching here, I know.

We're not that close to the luxury tax threshold. Hard to cry poor when you've got $16 million in space but can't sign an OFer for less than $10 million. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

We're not that close to the luxury tax threshold. Hard to cry poor when you've got $16 million in space but can't sign an OFer for less than $10 million. 

I thought it was like $22M of space, but perhaps I’m thinking of dated info. 

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Unfortunately…..And yet they are still how far away from the luxury tax? You would think the owner who loves baseball and has a legit chance of winning a World Series would push it to there or go over it to fill his holes. Yes yes I know spending money doesn’t equate to winning the whole damn thing but it sure does give you a better chance.

They are $17 million from the tax line (likely a little less when IL stints happen).

30 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

And you'll watch a third straight first round exit at this rate. 

I'm not jumping off any ledges. I'm just frustrated and bewildered at an inability to address basic needs...even cheaply! 

Perhaps. But I’ll still root for them and enjoy it. 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Wait what? Where did you hear they aren’t trading them anymore?

Oh, I didn't hear that anywhere. But reading all the Kimbrel comments around here, I figured if guys aren't traded yet, that must mean they aren't getting traded.