Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Just now, maloney.adam said:

If you think about it we really only have 3 proven starters on the team. Giolito, Lynn and Keuchel even though he was bad last year. Both Cease and Kopech are unproven. 

Not really, just Giolito and Lynn. Keuchel=Shields. 

There is tons of upside with Cease and Kopech though, and Cease showed something last year though it was only one season. If he goes back to his 2019-2020, god help us. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well then do I have great news for you: 

Who else COULD they be linked to at this point, besides back-up catchers and random starters on the trade market, like Manaea and Montas?

It's all a bit too logical.

Unless that long-discussed Ketel Marte trade is breaking, which would 50-75% redeem this offseason, but likely aggravate everyone with the cost in young Sox talent surrendered.

At this point, almost not even caring about anything beyond 2024, they've already boxed themselves into such a corner with their current roster construction.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Who else COULD they be linked to at this point, besides back-up catchers and random starters on the trade market, like Manaea and Montas?

It's all a bit too logical.

Unless that long-discussed Ketel Marte trade is breaking, which would 50-75% redeem this offseason, but likely aggravate everyone with the cost in young Sox talent surrendered.

At this point, almost not even caring about anything beyond 2024, they've already boxed themselves into such a corner with their current roster construction.

Caulfield, holy shit that was not the point of me quoting a month old tweet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have a feeling we're going to get a response about Cease's fWAR being in the Top 15 or 20 or whatever it was in all of MLB last season...granted, a big chunk of that production was from the AL Central match-ups.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I have a feeling we're going to get a response about Cease's fWAR being in the Top 15 or 20 or whatever it was in all of MLB last season...granted, a big chunk of that production was from the AL Central match-ups.

Yeah, but it's just one season. There is plenty of reason to think Cease is going to continue to get better though, and Keuchel is going to continue to get shelled. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There is tons of upside with Cease and Kopech though, and Cease showed something last year though it was only one season. If he goes back to his 2019-2020, god help us. 

Dount count me on it but watch Keuchel is going to rebound. Lol

Edited by maloney.adam

Why is there a scramble to get a backup catcher? Oh yeah, because the catcher they drafted in the first round 6 years ago is still not even backup quality. I'd honestly say that's a more urgent need than a big RF signing. We have several guys that'll play in RF and not kill you. When Grandal sits, however, it's nasty back there.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

@Y2Jimmy0 What are your thoughts on the rotation? What do you think Keuchel w-ill do this year? Will Cease get to the next level and will Kopech make strides? 

I’m worried that they really only have 3 quality arms and they need one more. Say if Giolito or Lynn gets injured than what? 

There's also a possibility that Lynn drops off due to age, but that's just me. I'm expecting a return to 2019-20 levels for Giolito. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The Sox must have thought they could have netted an equal return value in a Kimbrel trade as the Rodon pick compensation that the QO would have given them. We all realize they couldn't risk doing both, so it had to be one or the other. I just cannot understand why they would even entertain either of those options If they were that caught up against their budget. Why even take that risk? I honestly cannot see them moving Kimbrel now without picking up something on that deal, or including a prospect to sweeten the deal. 

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS