Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

They may need some young arms to emerge but Keuchel is a sleeping giant. Usually it's easier to sleep in the bullpen. There should be one young guy make the team in spring training. 

Master Rick on White Sox Weekly says we are championship ready regardless of any moves being made. Maybe he will walk the plank next winter. 

54 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Unless you’re signing Story to play 2B, no one.

There should be a song about Rockies hitters. Arenado is a good hitter for the Cards but the hitting numbers are lower than in Denver. Story's baseline is significantly lower than Arenado's. I can't help but have the sneaking suspicion that the Sox are going to go with stopgaps at 2nd and in RF hoping that Romy/Sanchez and Colas/Cespedes pan out in the near-term.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

The problem I see with a trade for McNeil is that the Mets are in win-now mode but want to avoid the highest CBT threshold and want to trade for pitching. Kimbrel makes $13.5 million more next year and he's probably the only pitcher we have available to trade that can help the Mets. It makes sense for the Sox, but I'm not sure we have what the Mets want. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Very nice. I'm assuming NYM wants us to eat a big salary in exchange (Cano)? If so, we REALLY need to unload Kimbrel ASAP. IDGAF if they don't get shit in return, unload the damn salary already. 

Man, a Cano/McNeil deal would be interesting as it would solve LH batter issue we have and potentially RF and 2B, for nothing but money, if Cano had anything left and we prioritized a trade for a difference maker SP.. He really hasn't had a down year in his career apart from 2019, but who knows if he can still move lol

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Man, a Cano/McNeil deal would be interesting as it would solve LH batter issue we have and potentially RF and 2B, for nothing but money, if Cano had anything left and we prioritized a trade for a difference maker SP..

What happens if Cano gets caught for PEDs again? Isn't he banned for life?

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Very nice. I'm assuming NYM wants us to eat a big salary in exchange (Cano)? If so, we REALLY need to unload Kimbrel ASAP. IDGAF if they don't get shit in return, unload the damn salary already. 

The Cano salary is huge $48M in salary but 41M for the next 2 yrs against the cap if that translates from the Mets to the Sox They'd have to take one of either Keuchel or Kimbrel ,give up  McNeil ,  1yr of Nimmo ( FA next yr.) or both and a very good Minor Leaguer of which they plenty . That saves the Mets money this year and a lot next yr. once the Keuchel or Kimbrel contracts end. McNeil is a late bloomer who isn't a FA until 2025 but is already 30.

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What happens if Cano gets caught for PEDs again? Isn't he banned for life?

Cano wouldn't be the focus of the trade anyway .Getting good talent along with Cano would be. If the Mets are really serious about saving money they have to give up a lot more than McNeil to rid themselves of Cano.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I still think the Sox can make a good deal with the Mets. They have 5 or 6 good prospects and need to rid themselves of the Cano contract .

Cano contract is $24M but $20,250M adjusted against the Luxury Tax and the same for 2023.

Keuchel is $18M

Kimbrel $16M

Nimmo is $6M and he's a Free Agent Next year

McNeil is 30 yrs old $2.5M and isn't a free agent til 2025

Catcher Thomas Nido is 28YO $1M for 2022 not a free agent til 2025

Then the Mets have some really good prospects between AA and AAA Francisco Alvarez C AA, Ronny Mauricio SS AA, Brett Baty 3B AA, Mark Vientos 3B/LF AAA  https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/these-5-mets-prospects-made-the-athletics-top-100-list

The Mets want to shed salary and the Sox have some room but how much they are willing to spend is unknown

The Sox could take on Cano's salary while giving up Keuchel or Kimbrel. That saves the Mets between$2-$4M against the CBT for 22. If they give up Nimmo that's another $6M If they Add Nido that's another $1M. Mets could replace Nido with Collins

Taking on Nimmo,Cano, and Nido contracts only adds between $9-11M to the Sox payroll for 2022 LH RF is solved for 1 year so then there's the matter of being compensated for that extra year of Cano for 2023. That's where either McNeil or a real nice prospect like Mauricio fits in.McNeil is a nice fit for us but is 30 but saves the Mets another $2.5M this year. But would they give up 2 LH guys who are expected to play key roles ? Doubtful. I'm thinking a top prospect like Mauricio is better payment for that extra year of Cano.

So it basically ends of being Keuchel or Kimbrel and Collins for Nimmo, Nido, Cano and Mauricio. Looking at it the Sox get the best player in Nimmo but only for a year, take on a bad contract and get rid of one of our bad contracts. The Sox get a great prospect while the Mets save money this year and next year without the Cano contract, lots of years with Collins and get either their choice of Kimbrel or Keuchel for only 1 yr.

WS should do this in a heartbeat. Doubt Mets would trade Mauricio but they have several youngsters, including a couple of pitching prospects on the farm who I'd love.  Mets fans rave about Nido's framing and defense (hitting not so much). Still, this trade is a win-win.

Just now, Flash said:

WS should do this in a heartbeat. Doubt Mets would trade Mauricio but they have several youngsters, including a couple of pitching prospects on the farm who I'd love.  Mets fans rave about Nido's framing and defense (hitting not so much). Still, this trade is a win-win.

I thought it was a pretty even trade but only if the Mets are serious about shedding some salary and winning now. It does leave plenty of trade capital to trade for pitching. The only problem I see for the Sox with this trade is next yrs payroll. But it brings in a lot of talent.

• Like 1