Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

3 minutes ago, bruni said:

Ok - what does WSox nation think of this one:

WSox give Milwaukee Kopech, Kimbrel, and Aldolfo.

Milwaukee gives WSox Woodruff (3 years of control left) and Joey Wiemer 

I wouldn’t do Kopech straight up for Woodruff. Wouldn’t even consider it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So much for those big moves 

The money will be spent! 

Seriously, I get why people say certain guys (Conforto) are a no-brainer of a fit but that honestly doesn’t mean shit if they aren’t willing to sign him or have another plan of what to do with the position. Not that he has signed yet and there is still time but I just don’t know where the confidence comes from.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The money will be spent! 

Seriously, I get why people say certain guys (Conforto) are a no-brainer of a fit but that honestly doesn’t means shit if they aren’t willing to sign him. Not that he has signed yet and there is still time but I just don’t know where the confidence comes from.

On the bullpen… again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

As much as we want to poo poo spending money on bullpens, they tend to be key in winning October baseball games. 

Everybody wants to poo poo spending money on bullpens because, aside from closers, bullpen pieces aren't flashy acquisitions. The lemmings want the big names even if they aren't the best option.

56 minutes ago, bruni said:

Ok - what does WSox nation think of this one:

WSox give Milwaukee Kopech, Kimbrel, and Aldolfo.

Milwaukee gives WSox Woodruff (3 years of control left) and Joey Wiemer 

Assuming everyone is healthy and I'm not missing a mystery injury to Woodruff. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Woodruff is at the top of his game and Kopech is a gleam in our eyes hoping to become what Woodruff already is. Woodruff would make the Sox a real legit threat out of the box to win it all this year and can pitch a full season.

Not only that his salary this year is $6M and Kimbrel's is $16M so the Sox gain $10M  in CBT space for 2022.

Am I missing something here ? Seems like a no brainer .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

As much as we want to poo poo spending money on bullpens, they tend to be key in winning October baseball games. 

I don’t think this concept holds up very well, TBH. 

The last team I can think of that tried the super expensive bullpen route was the Yankees in 17-19, and they could never turn that into even a WS appearance.

Braves - Bullpen was fine, but you think more of their starters and OFs as the key guys.

The 2020 Dodgers kinda, with Jansen, Treinen, and Kelly out there, but they also got contributions from guys like Graterol out of the pen.

The Astros always keep a solid closer and 1 or 2 setup men, but never go that deep on solid guys, going with matchups and starters instead.

The 19 Nats had an awful bullpen saved by Hudson. Won thanks to their starters.

18 Red Sox got use from Kelly but their big thing was using their starters to finish things off.

Rays - matchups.

You have to go back to Miller and Chapman in 16 to see a huge pen impact, and then the ‘15 Royals. And in 16 it was more “2elite arms, pitch them as much as possible.”

14 - Bumgarner.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Am I missing something, has any of the remaining top outfielders been signed yet? 

As I said in my post, no. Just not sure where the confidence to sign any of them comes from as history dictates otherwise. Would love for them to prove me wrong and spend more than $73 million on a free agent for the first time.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

18 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don’t think allocating 25% of their payroll to older bullpen arms every year is a good use of money when they have other glaring holes. Bullpens are such crapshoots that it’s a failure on their end for not be able to produce one or two bullpen arms from internally. 

36 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Getting outbid by the Rockies in the middle of a championship window would be fucking pathetic, but I wouldn’t be surprised given that it’s the White Sox we’re talking about here.

Monfort thought he knew what being cheap was. Turns out he's about to find that he has no clue what being cheap is really all about (JR).