MLB.com has White Sox at No. 2

vilehoopster

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Anyway, I see you haven’t answered my invitation to explain what the Rays, Yankees, Astros, Red Sox have done in their offseasons to inspire you so much more than the Sox adding two of the best relievers in the game.  I do think it would benefit you to aim your hyper-scrutiny on another roster once in awhile to gain some perspective.

Sure, the Rays, Yankmees , and sawx didn't let 4.9 fWAR walk out the door for free.

The trashstros are still working to bring back Correa, and the sawx are looking to replace Schwarber with Suzuki.

By contrast, RH has added Velasquez to replace Rodon, and has replaced Hernandez with Harrison.

IOW, those teams have not subtracted as much as the SOX have so far. For those teams that have had subtraction (sawx and trashstros), they have both the track records and plans to replace or return potentially lost parts.

27 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Sure, the Rays, Yankmees , and sawx didn't let 4.9 fWAR walk out the door for free.

The trashstros are still working to bring back Correa, and the sawx are looking to replace Schwarber with Suzuki.

By contrast, RH has added Velasquez to replace Rodon, and has replaced Hernandez with Harrison.

IOW, those teams have not subtracted as much as the SOX have so far. For those teams that have had subtraction (sawx and trashstros), they have both the track records and plans to replace or return potentially lost parts.

I wasn’t planning on responding again, but “working to”?  “Looking to replace”?  Are you kidding?  So in other words, other organizations get credit for imaginary transactions that haven’t happened, and “plans to replace” that you invented, and the White Sox do not—I see.  And other teams have subtracted huge pieces…but they have “plans” so those subtractions don’t count against them?  I’m afraid the old mask has slipped, my friend.  Why not just say “those other teams are better because they’re not called the White Sox” and be honest about it?

I have no idea what will happen the rest of the off-season and neither do you.  Maybe the Sox will build a super team.  Maybe they’re done adding.  But there is no basis to penalize the White Sox for their incomplete offseason as of March 15 and credit their competitors, and your attempts to do so make your bias blindingly obvious.

And by the way, none of this even bears on my original point, which is that the quoted article is a ranking of teams, not a list of “who won the off-season” (a contest history teaches you don’t necessarily want to win).  

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

As of this moment, I would lean towards the Sox finishing 2nd next year. Too many iffy moves and not enough internal development to expect more than two first-place finishes in a row. After this season plays out, however, and we see more clearly what we're working with as far as the young stars go, that could change.

All gripes noted and considered, there are some potential superstars on this roster. It's very Soxy to hope for a horseshoe year in order to win a championship, but that's where we are. I'm just not one to get too heated over the offseason. Winning the offseason has no bearing on anything.