Poll about RF and SP

Will the White Sox acquire a LH RF and starting pitcher worthy of praising Hahn and JR .  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Will the White Sox acquire a LH RF worthy of praising Hahn and JR for spending the money or making the trade necessary to acquire said RF ?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Will the Sox also acquire another Starting Pitcher good enough to be put into the rotation on a regular basis ?

• YES
    • NO

26 minutes ago, wegner said:

Said No to both....getting the feeling they will roll with what they have and add in season.  Happy if I'm proven wrong.

Agree.  I think from here on out they're going for volume over quality.  I bet Kopech, Keuchel, Lopez, Lambert, Crochet are involved in a lot of piggybacks for the first 6 weeks of the season.

• Like 1

"No" to both.  For the most part, Sox will go with the pitching they have.  Also, with both Cespedes & Colas in the org and maybe just a year or two away, there's no big, long term money on a RF now.  Will go with Vaughn, Sheets, Engel patch work.  However, both positions will get reviewed at trade deadline; if improvement is needed then hopefully Hahn deals.

• Like 1

Despite the results so far on the RF situation and me being one of the biggest skeptics I'd like to re-emphasize the importance of more LHP power added to the lineup.

Guess who led the Sox in total bases in the playoffs despite being 8th in plate appearances ?

None other than Gavin Sheets. This a dude who had none of the hype of Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, Abreu ,Vaughn and really wasn't counted on to provide much of anything during a competitive window since his path to the lineup and remaining in the lineup or even on the team is questionable. This is exactly why the Sox need to get more LH, in all aspects of the lineup and power.

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It would describe his defense and the Sox OF defense in general, perfectly.

Yeah, I agree he's not the ideal choice if I had my pick.  But I'd be pretty jacked up at that lineup and willing to roll the dice a bit on the defense (which we'd be doing anyway with the likely internal options.)

• Like 2

This is my first time stating this, but I feel I'm going to be repeating it over and over. I believe completely that the Sox can win the World Series with a RF of rotating Vaugh, Sheets, and Engel. I completely believe that. I have said this before, I don't start to get the Comforto love on here. Career .255 hitter, batted .232. last year with a War of 0.8. What does he bring that would be worth the cost to get him?

I can't start to believe that Vaughn and Sheets can be so terrible defensively that the tons more we're going to gain on offense won't faaaar and away be an advantage over having Conforto's defense. Look at the huge jump Moncada and Robert had their 2nd years, and that's with minor league seasons behind them. Vaughn is going to make a major leap offensively this year, regardless of batting against lefties or righties. How are people not seeing that? Sheets was outstanding last year. Yes, the Sox put him in favorable spots to succeed; so, just do it again this year. That's why you want to platoon him with Vaughn. Yes, Vaughn needs to face righties; he can do that DHing. 

People keep talking about this or that person DHing. Am I the only one who thinks that Grandal is going to be DHing a lot this year? I would guess that it will average out to one day a week by the end of the season. It will happen less early, but become more common in August and September.  

Now, what I don't believe is that the Sox can win the World Series with this current pitching rotation. The Sox need another GOOD starting pitcher, not a 5th level pitcher, but a 3rd level pitcher or better.

I have no confidence in Keuchel, none. I don't have a ton of confidence in Kopech. I think he will be okay, average, but not great yet. I strongly think the Sox have to trade for a quality pitcher. 

Again, I'm fine with the platoon in RF; I'm okay with 2nd base. But we need another starting pitcher. 

• Like 1