Let's talk about Luis Robert

VAfan

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

He made 37% of his starts last year in the #4 spot. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

From April 17 to June 19 last year, Abreu hit 4th in all but 5 games.

And then was penciled into the 3 spot for basically the rest of the year.  TLR tinkered but still started Abreu in the 3 spot 60+ percent of the season.

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And then was penciled into the 3 spot for basically the rest of the year.  TLR tinkered but still started Abreu in the 3 spot 60+ percent of the season.

Robert hit 2nd more than any other position in the lineup last year.  Moncada hit 3rd more than any other spot.  But Moncada hit best slotted 5th or 6th.  

If you go that route, the top of the lineup becomes very right handed.  And the bottom has all the lefties or switch hitters.  

I believe Tony will try Anderson, Moncada, Robert, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, Sheets/Vaughn, Engel, Garcia/Harrison, and if it works, he might stay with that more often than not.  But having Tony LaRussa stick with a single lineup is not going to happen.  Not in his nature.  

The real point is that Robert is almost certainly going to hit at the top of the lineup because he's clearly the best player on the team. 

What's crazy is that Robert is likely to keep improving, so who knows what kind of numbers he's going to post.

What if they enlarge the bags?  How many bases will he steal, even if maybe he shouldn't to save wear and tear?  

And he's not even near the top guy that people talk about when they talk about the White Sox.  

Tim Anderson, Jose Abreu, Lucas Giolito, even Lance Lynn get more hype than Robert.  He's like our "secret" weapon.  

I think that's going to start to change this year.  He may still have the language barrier that prevents him from getting a lot of interviews, but commentators are going to be clued in.  

14 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

was there some prior doubt?

The best ability a good player can have to make him a great player is "availability". Once Robert shows he can stay on the field the possibilities are limitless.

Eloy has the same problem. Robert has less than a full seasons worth of games under his belt and Eloy has less than 2 seasons. Robert was spectacular when he came back last year, Eloy not so much. We need them both to exhibit that availability.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't be more excited about watching Robert's growth.  His eye/discipline has improved tenfold since he first came up.  Yesterday's HR AB was a prime example of understanding how pitchers are approaching him, and making them pay dearly when they don't execute.  I feel like the league thinks you can get him to roll over stuff up and away, nah dude punishes anything you dare to leave up.  He's gotta be the most exciting Sox player in my life since Frank and has the chance to be something truly special. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Robert is only going to get better.

Question, taking hitting out of the equation, who is the better centerfielder, Engle or Robert?

Robert has made some catches that very few others ever could make and he makes so many tough plays look like little more than a can of corn.   Robert is better than Engel imo, and I love Adam's defense.

4 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I couldn't be more excited about watching Robert's growth.  His eye/discipline has improved tenfold since he first came up.  Yesterday's HR AB was a prime example of understanding how pitchers are approaching him, and making them pay dearly when they don't execute.  I feel like the league thinks you can get him to roll over stuff up and away, nah dude punishes anything you dare to leave up.  He's gotta be the most exciting Sox player in my life since Frank and has the chance to be something truly special. 

The way he's able to flip his hands and clear his hips is Frank 2.0. He has a very similar swing despite starting it completely differently than Frank. Frank obviously had one of the best batter's eyes ever but as far as hit tool they are similar. I can see Robert putting up some 300 and higher average seasons, which in today's game is pretty special.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:43 AM, Balta1701 said:

Can he stay healthy for a full season? Are the White Sox doing everything they can to keep him healthy? (Proactive rest, working with him to limit risky plays like diving in the OF or sliding into bases? Making sure everyone who plays the OF has good fundamentals to avoid collisions? Having a solid OF alongside him to limit his full speed sprints?)

Makes perfect sense. But then I think he doesn't steal third because it's risky. He doesn't run into the wall saving an extra base hit because it's risky. Is he still a MVP candidate? 

Makes me realize that we will never see guys like Pete Rose and Nolan Ryan again. It's too risky. 

On 3/15/2022 at 6:43 AM, Balta1701 said:

Can he stay healthy for a full season? Are the White Sox doing everything they can to keep him healthy? (Proactive rest, working with him to limit risky plays like diving in the OF or sliding into bases? Making sure everyone who plays the OF has good fundamentals to avoid collisions? Having a solid OF alongside him to limit his full speed sprints?)

Playing scared can lead to injuries as well