Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

11 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Yeah, they aren't cheap, finally. They are just really, REALLY bad at roster management/makeup.

They spend a lot on short term contracts and contracts for relievers. It isn't cheap, but it isn't a huge financial commitment for difference making players. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They spend a lot on short term contracts and contracts for relievers. It isn't cheap, but it isn't a huge financial commitment for difference making players. 

Yeah, I was referring to the big contract game. 4/72 is pathetic for a top 3 market. It's the optics of that more than anything. 

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah you're forced to DH one and then hide one in LF. Problem is Harper also isn't good in RF, correct?

Statcast graded him out as average in 19/20 but every other year he's been about -5 in outs-above-average out in RF, including last year (-6). So somewhat below average but not awful would be a reasonable description so far?

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So the solution to this is to have Keuchel all suited up and ready to go for the playoffs. After all, if Kopech isn't available, he's surely good to go.

dr-evil-right.gif 

No that's not what I said. I said they are going to need to put kopech on a strict innings limit so he can be ready. They don't need another pitcher that needs this same treatment.

Just now, ptatc said:

No that's not what I said. I said they are going to need to put kopech on a strict innings limit so he can be ready. They don't need another pitcher that needs this same treatment.

So who takes the innings Kopech can't do, and who is the 5th starter?

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

Of course it does. Let's say he was in line for a 5 year, 100 million dollar deal. You still think the Sox shouldn't have "risked" offering the QO, because there was a chance he accepted the 1 year deal, instead of taking a 5 year commitment? 

Because if what he got really doesn't matter, that's still how you would think, which makes zero sense. 

If this is the case then they read the market correctly as he didn't get 5 years at 100. He got 2 years at 44.

You're right where is does make a difference if he got the long term deal thus they were sure he would turn down the qualifying offer. However the deal was close enough that he may have accepted the QO and the Sox would have been stuck with him.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So who takes the innings Kopech can't do, and who is the 5th starter?

That is the question. Imagine if they needed to do that for 2 pitchers instead of one.

Just now, ptatc said:

That is the question. Imagine if they needed to do that for 2 pitchers instead of one.

So the solution to not having enough starting pitching depth is to imagine how things would be worse with an extra pitcher.

dr-evil-right.gif