Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So the solution to not having enough starting pitching depth is to imagine how things would be worse with an extra pitcher.

dr-evil-right.gif 

I would prefer using someone like Lopez or a bullpen day for about 6-7 spot starts as opposed to depending on Rodon and having to fill in for spots in the rotation.

I would also be in favor of acquiring another starting pitcher to help with the load.  I've said all along I would put the resources towards pitching.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If this is the case then they read the market correctly as he didn't get 5 years at 100. He got 2 years at 44.

You're right where is does make a difference if he got the long term deal thus they were sure he would turn down the qualifying offer. However the deal was close enough that he may have accepted the QO and the Sox would have been stuck with him.

1. That's not what you said earlier. You said "What he got really doesn't matter." That was incorrect for a number of reasons. 

2. You keep saying "stuck with him" but you're leaving out some small details: 

- He posted a 5 WAR last season in 132 innings

- He's entering his age 29 season

- It's a one-year commitment, not 6 or 7 years. 

- His current replacement in the rotation is Dallas Keuchel, who was left off the playoff roster and posted a 5.28 ERA last season

- You're defending the Sox decision on Rodon, but seemingly not bringing up their decision on Craig Kimbrel, which are absolutely related. Kimbrel carries almost as a big of a price tag as Rodon would with he QO in 2022, yet at most you're pegging Kimbrel for 60 IP this season. They didn't want to get stuck with Rodon so they didn't offer him the QO....but they picked up the option for Kimbrel...why exactly? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Yeah, I was referring to the big contract game. 4/72 is pathetic for a top 3 market. It's the optics of that more than anything. 

My bad. I understood what you meant, I was just piggy backing. They aren't cheap but they are conservative with spending and can't seem to bring in quality position players to fill in the gaps. 

13 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

what team got better? The Padres are a sham and not winning anything. This didn't make the Yankees any better in our short window, so I am a bit whelmed on this deal. 

Voit doesn’t make the Padres better?  Castellanos doesn’t make the Phillies better?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. That's not what you said earlier. You said "What he got really doesn't matter." That was incorrect for a number of reasons. 

2. You keep saying "stuck with him" but you're leaving out some small details: 

- He posted a 5 WAR last season in 132 innings

- He's entering his age 29 season

- It's a one-year commitment, not 6 or 7 years. 

- His current replacement in the rotation is Dallas Keuchel, who was left off the playoff roster and posted a 5.28 ERA last season

- You're defending the Sox decision on Rodon, but seemingly not bringing up their decision on Craig Kimbrel, which are absolutely related. Kimbrel carries almost as a big of a price tag as Rodon would with he QO in 2022, yet at most you're pegging Kimbrel for 60 IP this season. They didn't want to get stuck with Rodon so they didn't offer him the QO....but they picked up the option for Kimbrel...why exactly? 

I agreed with me being incorrect on 1 and modified it.

If all you are trying to do is say I was incorrect on that I agreed. 

All of what you said about Rodon last year is true. However he also didt pitch a complete year which hurt the Sox in the playoffs because he was worn out. I just wouldn't take the chance that he could complete a full year and be ready for the playoffs. He has never done it.

His replacement is not Keuchal, it's Kopech who is moving into the rotation.

Kimbrel is a not a risk as they will trade him. This is why his situation doesn't really matter. However that was not part of the Rodon discussion.

Even if they don't trade him, taking a chance on Rodon isn't something I would do given his history. It's fine if you disagree and think his issues are all I'm the past and he will finally pitch a full season.

Edited by ptatc

37 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

HMM.  tAKES THEM OUT OF cONFORTO/cASTELLANOS IF THEY WERE EVER IN TO BEGIN WITH

Not necessarily.  Voit can DH, or they end up eating portions of the Hosmer and/or Myers deals.  Soler still makes sense, but doubtful they want to commit to either of those two although Preller is coming under a lot of pressure to get back to the postseason this year despite starting behind the 8 ball.

This hurts a bit, simply because Ty France was so useful for the Mariners and they just cast him aside.

Until Conforto is signed I continue to remain unimpressed but content with the current offseason.  If Conforto is signed, its pretty much exactly the offseason I expected sans Kimbrel still being on roster and lack of replacement for Collins.  There is still time. 

In reality, the order of the moves is irrelevant.  But its frustrating as fans to watch this unfold, but there is still hope fellas.  Conforto has limited suitors and we know for sure the sox are interested, even if they haven't publicly stated a need to add to LH pop in RF since the lockout end, Hahn certainly mentioned it at the outset of the offseason.  Nothing has changed since then.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Insane. Idiotic. There’s aren’t enough words to describe how bad this entire transaction is ending up.

They're clearly playing a waiting game and hoping for an injury to a back end guy that will force a desperation move for Kimbrel for one season only.

That is especially dangerous if Kimbrel doesn't start to look better...but it seems like the ship already sailed on making a big move for RF.  Hopefully they at least fortify the starting pitching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

How big of a fail would it be if we let the Twins get Conforto on a reasonable deal? 

Lol, the Twins aren't going to sign Conforto to the biggest contract in franchise history.  Where's he gonna play?  They already have 4 everyday quality OF in Buxton, Kiriloff, Larnch and Kepler. Plus Rooker.  One of those guys will need to DH, along with Sano frequently. That would be a real head scratcher with their moves so far. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, caulfield12 said:

They're clearly playing a waiting game and hoping for an injury to a back end guy that will force a desperation move for Kimbrel for one season only.

That is especially dangerous if Kimbrel doesn't start to look better...but it seems like the ship already sailed on making a big move for RF.  Hopefully they at least fortify the starting pitching.

I was thinking this too. And then had the scary thought that Kimbrel himself could get hurt ?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, the Twins aren't going to sign Conforto to the biggest contract in franchise history.  Where's he gonna play?  Their OF is full and Rooker/Sano will DH. That would be a real head scratcher with their moves so far. 

Yeah I would think Story would be more likely and I don't even think that is likely.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

How big of a fail would it be if we let the Twins get Conforto on a reasonable deal? 

Depends what the Twins get out of their pitching and Buxton.

In a way, letting Berrios go might have been a brilliant move for a limited budget team.

With Kepler, Larnach and Kiriloff, not sure how much they really need Conforto, especially after coming under financial pressure to dump Donaldson, Cruz, etc.