Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

What the bloody hell has Sheets done to deserve a roster spot over Vaughn?

Conforto is an actual major league caliber RF.  Neither Vaughn or Sheets are.  Sheets isn't even passable as a major league 1B, his supposed natural position.  I get that you don't like Conforto, but that limb you are walking further out onto is mighty shaky.

Those 150 hand selected great matchup at bats tho!!! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d be pretty surprised if Michael Conforto hit $100 million from anyone at this point. 

I saw your tweet yesterday and all I could think of is there was no way I thought Hosmer would get $144m. Boras always proves me wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

1 start a week at each of those positions is 4 starts a week when there are typically 6 games a week.  Get him 2 DH starts, and a 1B/LF/RF start a week, and that is five starts a week.   Slot him in around lefties and opportunistic righties, and you have a pretty easy path to 400 to 500 ABs.  There is nothing wrong with getting guys like Abreu and Eloy some days off too.  Conforto can rest against lefties easily.  We currently don't have a real DH.

Again, if you follow teams like the Dodgers, Rays or Yankees, they do this all of the time. 

TLR is the manager, so no doubt he won't be as logical as you've stated above.  But the notion that AV sits on the bench 5 days a week because they signed a real RF is patently absurd.  Sheets might not even make it out of camp with this club for all we know.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Those 150 hand selected great matchup at bats tho!!! 

And don't get me wrong, I like Gavin's bat.  But he's also a limited and flawed player.  His anointing as an everyday player after the afore mentioned hand selected ABs is damned silly.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

And don't get me wrong, I like Gavin's bat.  But he's also a limited and flawed player.  His anointing as an everyday player after the afore mentioned hand selected ABs is damned silly.

I do too. I want to keep him. He’s great depth. But there isn’t a chance in hell I’m sitting AV for him consistently. One is going to be an offensive star in this league. The other a useful platoon bat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Soxtalk logic I'm trying to understand:

Conforto not signed yet with very few rumors - "It's because he's asking for too much money and isn't worth his ask and will end up getting way less given how long he's been on the market."

Kimbrel not traded yet with very few rumors - "It's because there's a huge bidding war and so many teams interested in him, he absolutely will not be here opening day."

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do too. I want to keep him. He’s great depth. But there isn’t a chance in hell I’m sitting AV for him consistently. One is going to be an offensive star in this league. The other a useful platoon bat. 

??

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

TLR is the manager, so no doubt he won't be as logical as you've stated above.  But the notion that AV sits on the bench 5 days a week because they signed a real RF is patently absurd.  Sheets might not even make it out of camp with this club for all we know.

Now Tony could well throw all of this out of the window, that is the truth, but it is something that is really easy to achieve.  Especially in a compressed schedule like we are going to see this year, strategic days off make a ton of sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

What the bloody hell has Sheets done to deserve a roster spot over Vaughn?

Conforto is an actual major league caliber RF.  Neither Vaughn or Sheets are.  Sheets isn't even passable as a major league 1B, his supposed natural position.  I get that you don't like Conforto, but that limb you are walking further out onto is mighty shaky.

Neither one is about 'what they have done,' but what they might do. Sheets hit RHP very well last year. He hit a bomb of Lance McCullers in an elimination game. You act like it's an outrage that he should be strongly considered as a DH/1B. 

• Like 1

If the Sox had interest in Conforto, I imagine it would go like their interest in Bryce Harper. Thanks but no thanks after they find out how much it costs, but probably has some year and $ amount they would be interested.  That would probably ve enough for Boras to use them if the price dropped.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

1 start a week at each of those positions is 4 starts a week when there are typically 6 games a week.  Get him 2 DH starts, and a 1B/LF/RF start a week, and that is five starts a week.   Slot him in around lefties and opportunistic righties, and you have a pretty easy path to 400 to 500 ABs.  There is nothing wrong with getting guys like Abreu and Eloy some days off too.  Conforto can rest against lefties easily.  We currently don't have a real DH.

Again, if you follow teams like the Dodgers, Rays or Yankees, they do this all of the time. 

You continue to show your delusional thoughts.   Vaughn is not starting any games per week at 1B or LF.  That's a given and already stated.  

All he has left is DH and RF and you are NOT paying someone $20M+ to platoon or be a part time player 

• Haha 1

Just now, Polar Bear said:

You continue to show your delusional thoughts.   Vaughn is not starting any games per week at 1B or LF.  That's a given and already stated.  

All he has left is DH and RF and you are NOT paying someone $20M+ to platoon or be a part time player 

He will be an everyday player.  Whether all at DH or most at DH and 1-2 days in the OF.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Let's start with Andrew Vaughn playing 13 games at 1B last year.  So no, it isn't a "given".  You also have Eloy Jimenez in LF, so again, that isn't a "given".  DH is wide open, and so are at the 1 in 5-ish times a week the Sox face a lefty starter. 

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yeah, sorry, but SS2K is not the one being delusional here.

Eloy will get days off in LF.  Abreu will get days off at 1B.  Gavin Sheets, if he is even on the roster, will sit vs LHP.  There isn't a RF on the roster and we might be looking at 2 1B playing there every day.  Between RF, LF, 1B, and DH, Andrew Vaughn will not sit 5 days a week. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

94 wRC+ vs lefties is abysmal huh.

I was hoping we can scrape a 94 wRC+ total out of our 2b.

That’s entirely weighted down by his first two years as a pro and his poor 2021 season.  He put up a 109 wRC+ against LHP from 2017 to 2020.  This “he’s abysmal against lefties” argument is people just looking for a reason to hate.

• Like 1

This fan base cracks me up.  Kyle Schwarber is somehow the greatest hitter ever and despite his shitty platoon splits that are worse than Conforto’s no one seems to care if he cost ~$20M per year.  It’s so fucking clear that many Sox fans are incapable of evaluating a player beyond just looking at their 2021 results.  Hopefully Rick Hahn isn’t as narrow-minded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let's start with Andrew Vaughn playing 13 games at 1B last year.  So no, it isn't a "given".  You also have Eloy Jimenez in LF, so again, that isn't a "given".  DH is wide open, and so are at the 1 in 5-ish times a week the Sox face a lefty starter. 

Eloy and the team has already stated Eloy is the EVERYDAY LF.  

Vaughn played what 0.3 times per week at first and you think its gonna jump up 3+ times that lmao.  

So like I said before, unless you are banking on a major injury(s) early there i no where near the playing time you say there is, maybe not even half. 

7 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Eloy and the team has already stated Eloy is the EVERYDAY LF.  

Vaughn played what 0.3 times per week at first and you think its gonna jump up 3+ times that lmao.  

So like I said before, unless you are banking on a major injury(s) early there i no where near the playing time you say there is, maybe not even half. 

Vaughn played 13 games at 1B with LF being his primary spot last  year, so yes, there are plenty of starts there.  I didn't think I would need to say this, but Eloy isn't going to start 162 games this year.  There are PLENTY of games for Vaughn out there.  Eloy starting 5 of 6 days a week out there isn't going to hurt him at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This fan base cracks me up.  Kyle Schwarber is somehow the greatest hitter ever and despite his shitty platoon splits that are worse than Conforto’s no one seems to care if he cost ~$20M per year.  It’s so fucking clear that many Sox fans are incapable of evaluating a player beyond just looking at their 2021 results.  Hopefully Rick Hahn isn’t as narrow-minded.

I mean let's be clear too what we are talking about.

If I'm building a fantasy team would I target conforto first if he's costing $20M and I have a $200M budget?

No, he's not well rounded enough as a defender and seems like a brick as a person.

But the sox have a contending team that also has clear vulnerabilities, we have few prospects to trade, and the seasons are important now...then what I want is for them to spend what they do have in money on the guy that's clearly the best fit.

We made our perfect world choices in suffering for years to have long-term control over Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Vaughn, Giolito and Cease. Now we are making the imperfect world choices because we need to maximize that window now.

(it would be easier if we drafted better than awful).

• Like 1