Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Brian - Do you think there is any chance the Sox sign Conforto at this point?

I don't have any reason to rule it out but people I trust have said Sox will address RF internally all offseason. I had heard the Sox made an offer that was well below the value Conforto/Boras have assigned to Conforto.  

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

And to piggyback, is there a good chance Kimbrel opens up the year with the Sox? @raBBit

I know the Sox have been active with multiple teams since the lockdown ended. While it is ST, his clunker the other day certainly can't help the chances of moving him. I think the Sox probably should have ate some money for a better return before it got to a point of having to actually pitch him but that's not something Reinsdorf likes to do obviously. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

There's also rumors he has long covid. Who knows what it true, but the fact that Boras spokesman Heyman has nothing indicates to me, he is going to be out there a while. Maybe they are now waiting for an injury. 

Haven't heard that. Where is that coming from?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They might need another starter more than a RF.  I’m not exactly loving what Kopech is saying about his preparedness to start the year strong.

They 100% need a SP more than a RF. Trade for Manaea, get what you can for Kimbrel, and then I'll feel like this has been at least a B- offseason.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

They 100% need a SP more than a RF. Trade for Manaea, get what you can for Kimbrel, and then I'll feel like this has been at least a B- offseason.

Without adding a RF or legit 2B option I can’t give them any higher than a C. It’s been a bad offseason. Plus we have no idea what they will have to give up to get Manaea. We might hate it. He is a rental after all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

They might need another starter more than a RF.  I’m not exactly loving what Kopech is saying about his preparedness to start the year strong.

No doubt they need another SP more than a RF.

Not that I'm happy about it but I can squint and see a solid RF rotation between Sheets/Vaughn/Engel/Adolfo.

I'd argues strongly they need RF more than SP.  In the playoffs you start 4 starters max.. Of those that actually get to start, it's rare anyone makes it past 4 innings now.  First sign of trouble and they're out.  Give me the guy who will start every game.  That being said.. We still need another starter lol

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd argues strongly they need RF more than SP.  In the playoffs you start 4 starters max.. Of those that actually get to start, it's rare anyone makes it past 4 innings now.  First sign of trouble and they're out.  Give me the guy who will start every game.  That being said.. We still need another starter lol

Every team that advanced in the playoffs was using their 6th or 7th or even 8th starters/bullpen games because of injuries though.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What now?

The Braves lost Morton, Ynoa missed a start with a shoulder injury, and Soroka if he even counts now (same boat as Burger).. The Astros were down Verlander the whole year (their biggest contract I believe) and McCullers obviously. The Dodgers lost Kershaw, May, and Bauer. The Rays lost Glasnow. The Red Sox…surprisingly healthy. Other than them, no one has their top starters healthy through the playoffs. 5th and 6th and 7th starters were all over the place in the playoffs- saying you only need 4 pitchers doesn’t do it justice when 2 of your top pitchers are on the IL. I believe the Braves had a guy set the record for making fewest starts in their career before starting a World Series game.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I agree with your SP want but the Kimbrel unload is my #1 concern as of now.  We have real potential contributors who could use his spot on the roster.  

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Braves lost Morton, Ynoa missed a start with a shoulder injury, and Soroka if he even counts now (same boat as Burger).. The Astros were down Verlander the whole year (their biggest contract I believe) and McCullers obviously. The Dodgers lost Kershaw, May, and Bauer. The Rays lost Glasnow. The Red Sox…surprisingly healthy. Other than them, no one has their top starters healthy through the playoffs. 5th and 6th and 7th starters were all over the place in the playoffs- saying you only need 4 pitchers doesn’t do it justice when 2 of your top pitchers are on the IL. I believe the Braves had a guy set the record for making fewest starts in their career before starting a World Series game.

So we agree that starting pitching is less important in the playoffs..?

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t disagree with what you’re main point is and there were definitely more injuries than normal last year, but in the playoffs I don’t recall most teams being out three or four of their primary starters.  Maybe you referring to the regular season.

cq8orygm7d1qjtg3sach.jpg

Luis, Luis, Luis!

"Petriello: Guaranteed Rate Field doesn’t have a roof, so there is no ceiling here. I know his 2021 got messed up by injury, but you know what really impressed me? He showed that enormous drop in strikeout rate, down to about league average. If that's real, you've got a guy who doesn't strike out too much ... who is a fantastic defensive center fielder ... who has a career slugging percentage over .500 ... and who is only 24 years old. If it's not Trout here next year, it's Robert, at No. 1."

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What now?

What happens to the Braves if Kyle Wright doesn’t give them 4.2 innings of 1-run ball in their game 4 “bullpen game” win last year? They won that 3-2.

Lose that game and it’s tied 2-2, and the Astros have home field advantage back.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What happens to the Braves if Kyle Wright doesn’t give them 4.2 innings of 1-run ball in their game 4 “bullpen game” win last year? They won that 3-2.

Lose that game and it’s tied 2-2, and the Astros have home field advantage back.

So you just made a crazy generalization based off one abnormal postseason?