Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

10 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Rodgers is a pretty damn good reliever.  Good trade for both teams?  Seems to weaken the Twins bullpen, though.

I don't think they care about a weakened BP when he's going to be a FA. You will trade a reliever always for younger higher upside arms even if Paddack is a TJ waiting to happen they got 5 years for 1 and saved money for this year. Padres going for it all

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Why? Paddack stinks. 

If the Sox had acquired Paddack, I would have told you why Katz could fix him, helped him develop a third pitch, etc.

Now that the Twins have him: Bring me Craig Dedelow

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

He’s ok but I wouldn’t say he stinks or is awful.

Paddack is super interesting.  I like him a lot.  But he's certainly not without risk.  He had UCL damage late last season and decided to get platelet injections and rehab instead of surgery.  While I am not a doctor, I feel like those things generally don't just go away.  If he needs TJS, he's probably a non-tender next offseason.  And the Twins just gave away far and away their best reliever in a pen that already sucked.  Its a trade that makes a ton of sense for a team that isn't try to win.  But I think the Twins are.  

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

If the Sox had acquired Paddack, I would have told you why Katz could fix him, helped him develop a third pitch, etc.

Now that the Twins have him: Bring me Craig Dedelow

He didn’t look so hot against the Sox minor leaguers the other day.  Not that that’s indicative of much, but ?

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t understand what the twins are doing. They’re so caught in between. 

Feels a little reminiscent of the KW retool on the fly sort of years where they don’t really have a strong core but still make a few interesting moves believing it will move the needle. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Paddack is super interesting.  I like him a lot.  But he's certainly not without risk.  He had UCL damage late last season and decided to get platelet injections and rehab instead of surgery.  While I am not a doctor, I feel like those things generally don't just go away.  If he needs TJS, he's probably a non-tender next offseason.  And the Twins just gave away far and away their best reliever in a pen that already sucked.  Its a trade that makes a ton of sense for a team that isn't try to win.  But I think the Twins are.  

One guy I remember with this was Masahiro Tanaka, who supposedly partially tore his UCL in his first US year, opted to rehab rather than surgery. He had a nice career and avoided the surgery but I don’t think he ever again became the top of the rotation guy he was pre injury.

Just now, smellysox said:

It's a different twins team for sure compared to last season.  Not really sure where I would even rank them in the Central?

I could see them as high as 2nd, but not really ever challenging the Sox for the top spot, or as bad as 4th.  

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If you looked at this list of moves and didn't know any better, you'd think it was a list of moves by multiple teams.  Can't quite figure out what the Twins are doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

If you looked at this list of moves and didn't know any better, you'd think it was a list of moves by multiple teams.  Can't quite figure out what the Twins are doing.

Akin to shuffling deck chairs or making moves simply to make moves.