Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I actually think Mystery Team might contend for a Wild Card spot this year.  They have been very involved in the last few offseasons.

Much like the White Sox, they are content to have a seat at the table, but never seem to close.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get it. To me, he's not a good enough hitter to be a full time dh, he's not better than Vaughn so he isn't going to be a first baseman, and I'm not putting him in the outfield.

I wouldn't be shocked if the highest ops of sheets career was last year. 

What’s your beef with Sheets buddy?

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Makes no sense that the sox would trade kimbrel at the break if he'd built up his value. They'd then be trading a rental reliever to a team in a race they're also in

They'd be hurting their own big league roster

I mean, the thought is probably to trade Kimbrel for prospects and turn around and trade those prospects for help in another area.  Doesn’t make it much more logical, but I’m guessing that is Hahn’s plan.

I still can’t believe we didn’t pursue Robby Ray or Kevin Gausman if adding a starter was going to be a primary offseason goal.  Both guys got super reasonable deals and would have made this roster considerably stronger than what we currently have.  All it would have taken is not exercising Kimbrel’s option and not signing Harrison.  And it’s not like we have an obvious starter pitching candidate to replace Keuchel after the season anyways unless they work a miracle with Crochett, so a multi-year commitment should have been far less of a concern.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be very happy if we can somehow land Manaea, but just seems like prioritizing Ray or Gausman would have been the better play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still can’t believe we didn’t pursue Robby Ray or Kevin Gausman if adding a starter was going to be a primary offseason goal.  Both guys got super reasonable deals and would have made this roster considerably stronger than what we currently have.  All it would have taken is not exercising Kimbrel’s option and not signing Harrison.  And it’s not like we have an obvious starter pitching candidate to replace Keuchel after the season anyways unless they work a miracle with Crochett, so a multi-year commitment should have been far less of a concern.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be very happy if we can somehow land Manaea, but just seems like prioritizing Ray or Gausman would have been the better play.

It’s not like they couldn’t get a 2B at the trade deadline…if Romy flopped.  There are always a handful available at the deadline.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s not like they couldn’t get a 2B at the trade deadline…if Romy flopped.  There are always a handful available at the deadline.

Plus you already had Leury as a temporary insurance policy at 2B.  Definitely would have preferred going with Romy at 2B and buying Ray or Gausman than trading something from a weak farm system for Manaea.  And have a bad feeling if a deal goes down it will end up being Ramos++ and that kid will probably turn into a superstar 3B.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, the thought is probably to trade Kimbrel for prospects and turn around and trade those prospects for help in another area.  Doesn’t make it much more logical, but I’m guessing that is Hahn’s plan.

But how many non Top 10-15 payroll teams would want Kimbrel at the TDL?  How many of those same teams are not going to be eventual competitors at some point in the postseason?  Let’s say he is 2021 first half Kimbrel, you basically can’t trade him because then he’s pitching the way and fitting into then pen the way he was supposed to LAST year.  Unless you get an absolute haul, but then every team knows we want to clear payroll space as well.  Hahn seems boxed in every direction you think this through.  These flipping theoretically acquired prospects scenarios seem even more of a reach…

Just now, caulfield12 said:

But how many non Top 10-15 payroll teams would want Kimbrel at the TDL?  How many of those same teams are not going to be eventual competitors at some point in the postseason?  Let’s say he is 2021 first half Kimbrel, you basically can’t trade him because then he’s pitching the way and fitting into then pen the way he was supposed to LAST year.  Unless you get an absolute haul, but then every team knows we want to clear payroll space as well.  Hahn seems boxed in every direction you think this through.  These flipping theoretically acquired prospects scenarios seem even more of a reach…

I’m not defending the plan, just stating what Hahn is probably thinking.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm assuming he is referring to just SP right?

Not RF?

Yeah seemed he was referring to SP, but IIRC he said he thought RF should be fine but the front office is always looking for ways to improve a team and that no one should be untouchable.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t hear it, but I’m sure any deal involves a SP.  Don’t think a savage will be coming unfortunately…we gotta pray that Sheets and eventually Colas develop into them.

This team just hates left handed savages. 

It's mystifying and bizarre. 

There's always excuses as to why we can't get one. 

First It's we don't need one. And then when we get exposed it's suddenly a priority. And then when we still can't get one there's excuse making like the prices are too high right now or whatever. 

Yeah, I think we really need Colas to develop and later on, Montgomery and Kath, otherwise we can forget about a LH savage. 

Hopefully Sheets keeps hitting RHP well as DH.