Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You have called the Guardians the wrong name at least 3 times in 24 hours.

TBF, they'll always be the Indians to me. Just like the Sox always will play in Comiskey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

On WS Talk podcast, Stoney said he thought Kimbrel is likely to be traded if a team has an injury to their bullpen.  Doesn’t sound like anything imminent.

Ugh, now we gotta hope he fixes himself. I was hoping he'd be someone else's problem. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Ugh, now we gotta hope he fixes himself. I was hoping he'd be someone else's problem. 

Yep and Stoney even said Kimbrel mentally doesn’t like not being the closer.  I personally think it’s a horrible decision keeping him on the roster for a role he doesn’t want.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

TBF, they'll always be the Indians to me. Just like the Sox always will play in Comiskey.

I thought their name was Savages. Something neutral.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep and Stoney even said Kimbrel mentally doesn’t like not being the closer.  I personally think it’s a horrible decision keeping him on the roster for a role he doesn’t want.

Let him close then and see if it works.  If it doesn't, you lose 2 extra games in april in a division that will be won by 10 games.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Let him close then and see if it works.  If it doesn't, you lose 2 extra games in april in a division that will be won by 10 games.  

And get the #3 seed as opposed to the #2 seed. Again.

23 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If his stuff and control still look like crap, there's no point. Having him close doesn't automatically make him better. One of his best outings last year with the Sox was in the 8th inning against Cleveland. In the few chances he did get to close, he wasn't dramatically better. 

48 minutes ago, fathom said:

Reason 10,000 as to why you cut your losses and give Rodon the QO.

This mistake just keeps expounding itself.  I liked the trade but obviously there has been no due diligence on the pitcher's capabilities and desires.

I wouldn't mind Hendricks in the Kopech role of last year going a couple of innings in a tight spot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Reason 10,000 as to why you cut your losses and give Rodon the QO.

This mistake just keeps expounding itself.  I liked the trade but obviously there has been no due diligence on the pitcher's capabilities and desires.

I wouldn't mind Hendricks in the Kopech role of last year going a couple of innings in a tight spot.

The Kopech role is going to Crochet to build up innings.

The problem with trading Kimbrel now is you are only going to get pennies on the dollar. If he's doing well, a team will want him, but then, why give him up? A contending team isn't going to give up a contributor. If he is doing poorly, it would be a salary dump. Total market misread amateurs like me saw coming from miles away.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem with trading Kimbrel now is you are only going to get pennies on the dollar. If he's doing well, a team will want him, but then, why give him up? A contending team isn't going to give up a contributor. If he is doing poorly, it would be a salary dump. Total market misread, in which  amateurs like me saw coming from miles away.

Yeah, but you don't have a law degree from Harvard so what the hell do you know? 

35 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

No it isn't it has just become culturally unacceptable.

Sorry, but a long standing misnomered nickname for an entire indigenous people group with no relation to the Indian subcontinent based solely on similar color of skin is in fact racist.  Being in common usage doesn't make it right.

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fathom said:

If all it takes to fix Kimbrel is making him the closer, and he's going to be on the roster anyways, not giving him the closer role would be insanity

La Russa isn't the manager to do this, but Hendriks would probably be more valuable as a high leverage relief ace rather than a traditional closer, assuming that it's something he would be willing to try

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If all it takes to fix Kimbrel is making him the closer, and he's going to be on the roster anyways, not giving him the closer role would be insanity

La Russa isn't the manager to do this, but Hendriks would probably be more valuable as a high leverage relief ace rather than a traditional closer, assuming that it's something he would be willing to try

I am someone that believes routine does matter quite a bit for relievers. But the idea that kimbrel is magically solved in the closer role just seems like such a farce. He was still eaten up in the playoffs, was that not enough adrenaline?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

No it isn't it has just become culturally unacceptable.

Oh it 100% is racist.  The history and the origins of the term, along with how we applied to to entire populations regardless of their actual tribal and political histories to dehumanize, subjugate, and conquer them over our 500ish year European history here in the Americas is unequivocal.  There were definitely times of acceptance for these types of terms, but them being accepted doesn't change the history behind them.  If we were talking about actual tribal names, we could talk, but this term isn't that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

If we’re going down this insane path, why not just make Kimbrel the closer for three months?  I get it sucks for Hendriks, but he’s already said he’d be ok with it and in all honesty it allows you to use Hendriks in even higher leverage situations than Tony normally does by limiting him to the 9th.  

Unfortunately it’s very clear the org’s plan is to ignore Kimbrel’s dislike of a setup role and simply hope for the best.