Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Do we really need a horse 30 starts though?  I mean I’d love to get Keuchel out of the rotation before the season starts, but aren’t the Sox more likely to let him fail all April/May to pretend they honored their contract to a veteran blah blah?

So if trade for Manaea now, are we going 6 man for a couple months until Dallas implodes himself out?

If they think Keuchel is cooked, you 100% upgrade now.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they think Keuchel is cooked, you 100% upgrade now.

Yea but that’s US being the front office.  I’m not sure if that’s how it really works at 35th st.  He might get 5-10 starts of shit.  Assuming that, maybe the trade happens early in the year like attempted 1st Peavy?

Edited by Jerksticks

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yea but that’s US being the front office.  I’m not sure if that’s how it really works at 35th st.  He might get 5-10 starts of shit.  Assuming that, maybe the trade happens early in the year like attempted 1st Peavy?

We literally have no one to replace him after 5 to 10 starts though.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Absolutely agree. However, this is the group that traded Madrigal for half a year of Kimbrel, so...

I think the org thinks much more highly of Vaughn than Madrigal.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

On the WS Talk podcast, Stoney implied the Sox are very high on Manaea.  He made it sound like it’s possible they could trade from their farm system for him, but he didn’t sound like anything is imminent.

Burger, Adolfo+++

Edited by maloney.adam

18 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This isn’t even close to the same situation.

I was never a huge fan of the Madrigal pick because I like upside, however, here are some ways that the situation is similar:

Madrigal was the 4th pick in the draft.  Vaughn was the 3rd pick.

Madrigal came up, was somewhat disappointing, but then showed flashes of offensive potential, especially in the last month before he was hurt.  Vaughn came up, struggled (especially against RH sliders,) then showed flashes of offensive potential before getting hurt/wearing down in the last two months.  And like Madrigal, Vaughn is currently injured even if it's not severe.

Madrigal and Vaughn both hit RH, so are somewhat replaceable given the Sox have other RH options. (Perhaps they believe that Burger could be a pretty good 1b/DH option down the road)

This is the exact same front office, and they seem to value the now in extraordinary ways. Just look at all the 30+ players they've added in the last couple of years.

I think this would be a moronic thing to do, but given their track record of trading Semien/Bassitt for Samardzija, Tatis for Shields, and Madrigal/Heuer for Kimbrel, I just don't see how you can 100% rule out them doing something this stupid again.

Edited by Timmy U