Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Madrigal’s ceiling is high AF.  A dude challenging for a .400 BA with an OBP over .400 annually while never striking out would be a ridiculous player.  

His floor is a totally valueless booster seat swinging a wet newspaper.  

His floor is perpetually injured.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VAfan said:

The Sox are not trading Gavin Sheets.

They have no one who can come close to replacing his production against right handed pitchers.  To trade him would create a hole in the lineup.  Plus, he's cheap and under control.  

Vaughn?  Second worst hitter on the team against righties last year.  I'm sure he will improve, but so will Sheets.

Sox need more power hitting lefties, not fewer ones.  

I hope you are correct VA.  I love Sheets.

26 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Madrigal’s ceiling is high AF.  A dude challenging for a .400 BA with an OBP over .400 annually while never striking out would be a ridiculous player.  

His floor is a totally valueless booster seat swinging a wet newspaper.  

Damn, we found someone who thinks more highly of Madrigal than Nick Madrigal. 

He said he should get to 3000 hits, but he never promised a .400 season!

• Haha 1

Madrigal is going to be just fine. He was a really good fit for this team and I wish we still had him. He’d fit this team much better than Harrison. He may struggle with injuries his entire career - his early career would indicate as such, but you never know. It was an awful trade but it’s time to move on. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Madrigal is going to be just fine. He was a really good fit for this team and I wish we still had him. He’d fit this team much better than Harrison. He may struggle with injuries his entire career - his early career would indicate as such, but you never know. It was an awful trade but it’s time to move on. 

Harrison is basically an older Madrigal-lite. Both rarely strike out and both don't hit the ball hard. Harrison is probably an upgrade on Nick defensively. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Harrison is basically an older Madrigal-lite. Both rarely strike out and both don't hit the ball hard. Harrison is probably an upgrade on Nick defensively. 

Emphasis on lite. Harrison hasn’t sniffed a season as valuable on a per game basis as Madrigals half season in 2021 since 2017. 

When Madrigal plays enough games for his high batting average to move the needle, let me know.  I have nothing against the kid, I liked the pick and hoped for the best.  But that prospect shine wore off quickly and he had some serious warts defensively and on the bases.  And, he couldn't stay healthy.  I wish nothing but the best for him, but the hand wringing over him being gone is really baffling to me.

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

When Madrigal plays enough games for his high batting average to move the needle, let me know.  I have nothing against the kid, I liked the pick and hoped for the best.  But that prospect shine wore off quickly and he had some serious warts defensively and on the bases.  And, he couldn't stay healthy.  I wish nothing but the best for him, but the hand wringing over him being gone is really baffling to me.

For a guy who had high scouting marks in speed, defense, and make-up, what we actually saw in those departments was severely disappointing. His bat lived up to the hype and then some when he finally started hitting for a little power before he got hurt.

He wasn't a 60 grade speed guy like the scouting reports said. More like a 50 or 55. His fielding was just average and he'd panic in certain fielding situations. Same with his base running decisions. For a guy who was supposed to have high baseball IQ, he did a lot of stupid shit on the bases. One of them cost him most of 2020.  

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

For a guy who had high scouting marks in speed, defense, and make-up, what we actually saw in those departments was severely disappointing. His bat lived up to the hype and then some when he finally started hitting for a little power before he got hurt.

He wasn't a 60 grade speed guy like the scouting reports said. More like a 50 or 55. His fielding was just average and he'd panic in certain fielding situations. Same with his base running decisions. For a guy who was supposed to have high baseball IQ, he did a lot of stupid shit on the bases. One of them cost him most of 2020.  

Well said.  I too remember reading the scouting reports on him and being very excited, and then severely disappointed by what we saw regularly in game.  The BA & OBP were really nice when he was available to play, and I'd welcome that profile with open arms on this current squad.  But the obsession with him over the bat while ignoring the rest is puzzling.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Players aren't rated on a "per games basis"

Lol. Madrigal put up 1.3 fWAR in 50 some games last year. Harrison 1.5 in 130 some games. That was Harrison’s best season since 2017. Madrigal is a far more effective player. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol. Madrigal put up 1.3 fWAR in 50 some games last year. Harrison 1.5 in 130 some games. That was Harrison’s best season since 2017. Madrigal is a far more effective player. 

This is the Carlos Rodon craziness again.

What good does a limited sample size do for you when you can't count on the player to be there at the end?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This is the Carlos Rodon craziness again.

What good does a limited sample size do for you when you can't count on the player to be there at the end?

Rodon has a much longer track record of being hurt. Madrigal may get to that point, but he’s not there yet. I don’t even know why we’re taking about Madrigal. He’s gone. But he’s a better player than Harrison and it’s not particularly close. He may get injured every season, he may not. Neither of us know.