Joe Mauer

8 years, $184 million

Carlos Correa

3 years, $105.3 million (opt outs after Years 1-2)  $35.1 million/year

Byron Buxton

7 years, $100 million

Josh Donaldson

4 years, $94 million  

The deal also includes an $8 million buyout of a $16 million club option for a fifth year. 

Erwin Santana 

4 years/$55 million

https://m.startribune.com/twins-land-free-agent-shortstop-carlos-correa-in-stunning-105-3-million-three-year-deal/600157495/

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33543369/sources-carlos-correa-minnesota-twins-agree-3-year-1053-million-deal-opt-outs

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 3

Grandal $73/4

Moncada $70/5 could end up at $90 million depending on $25 million option which is not guaranteed

Abreu $68/6

Danks $65/5

Konerko $60/5

Buehrle $56/4   signed with Miami at $58/4

Hendriks $54/3

Luis Robert $50/8

Robertson $48/4

Ordonez was 3/$29.5 and left for 5/$75 with Tigers in 2005.  El Caballo to the Astros for $100 million/6.

There's obviously an established comfort level between $50-$75, Wheeler, Tanaka, Harper and Machado notwithstanding.

If memory is correct, Alex Gordon almost disaster (turned down) was $68 million.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I don’t think we’ll beat up on the Twins or Tigers as much this year. We win the division for sure, but I’ll take the under 10.

I agree. These two teams will be tougher this year. The Sox should win their division, but it may not be as easy as some fans think. It will be under 10 games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Grandal $73/4

Moncada $70/5 could end up at $90 million depending on $25 million option which is not guaranteed

Abreu $68/6

Danks $65/5

Konerko $60/5

Hendriks $54/3

Luis Robert $50/8

Robertson $48/4

Ordonez was 3/$29.5 and left for 5/$75 with Tigers in 2005.  El Caballo to the Astros for $100 million/6.

There's obviously an established comfort level between $50-$75, Wheeler, Tanaka, Harper and Machado notwithstanding.

If memory is correct, Alex Gordon almost disaster (turned down) was $68 million.

I like that you include the Twins option years but not Robert's or Eloy's (who isn't here)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And zero more championships during that timeframe!

9 times in the postseason in 19 years (2002-2020) is still almost more times than the White Sox in their entire franchise history.  That's in addition to 1987 and 1991.

The White Sox are 11/119 seasons.

The thing is we're setting to pick up 2-3 more appearances but might equal the Twins' record of only that one series victory over the A's at the rate things are going.  Nobody will consider the rebuild a true success if they don't get to the ALCS even.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Grandal $73/4

Abreu $68/6

Danks $65/5

Konerko $60/5

Hendriks $54/3

Luis Robert $50/8

Robertson $48/4

Oh, now do RP contracts.

Where does this FO rank in terms of big RP contracts, despite them having an established budget?

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Oh, now do RP contracts.

Where does this FO rank in terms of big RP contracts, despite them having an established budget?

Colome was a great one for them!  Most of their money going to Rogers and Duffey with Alex C. and their other high leverage guy Hansel Robles traded to BOS.

Not quite the days of Guardado, Nathan, Hawkins and JC Romero.  Patrick Mahomes' father, haha.

Those 2002~2008 Twins' teams had some of the best bullpens (and infield defense) ever...at least until the 2013-2015 Royals.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

You can't blame Reinsdorf for this. It's hard for the Sox to compete financially with a team that is in the lucrative market that is Minneapolis. 

Geeze man, it's Minneapolis AND St. Paul. That's two whole cities. With the Sox it's just Chicago and what... Joliet? Hinsdale?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

9 times in the postseason in 19 years (2002-2020) is still almost more times than the White Sox in their entire franchise history.  That's in addition to 1987 and 1991.

The White Sox are 11/119 seasons.

The thing is we're setting to pick up 2-3 more appearances but might equal the Twins' record of only that one series victory over the A's at the rate things are going.  Nobody will consider the rebuild a true success if they don't get to the ALCS even.

Nobody will consider the rebuild a true success if they don't win the world series. True success is defined by championships, not league pennants. The Sox have had one legitimate year to attempt to win it all so far. I dont count 2020. The window is still wide open and is still young. This year will be a true test. One White Sox world series win in a 10 year span with say 5 postseason appearances>9 Twins postseason appearances and nothing to show for it.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Nobody will consider the rebuild a true success if they don't win the world series. True success is defined by championships, not league pennants. The Sox have had one legitimate year to attempt to win it all. I dont count 2020. This year will be a true test. One White Sox world series win in a 10 year span with say 5 postseason appearances>9 Twins postseason appearances and nothing to show for it.

F*** it, get to the World Series first and let me figure that out then?

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

F*** it, get to the World Series first and let me figure that out then?

Sure, that's fair. But I figured most of us on here who are probably old enough to remember 2005 would argue that was the best year of any Sox season any of us have experienced, because they won it all. Not 2000 or 2008 or 2020 or 2021 when they were just in the conversation and made it to the postseason. Sure, there were memorable moments like the two blackout games and Thome's homerun and Griffey's throw to homeplate, and the crowd in 2021 and Leury's bomb. But nothing even comes close to 2005. That is the ultimate prize.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Sure, that's fair. But I figured most of us on here who are probably old enough to remember 2005 would argue that was the best year of any Sox season any of us have experienced, because they won it all. Not 2000 or 2008 or 2020 or 2021 when they were just in the conversation.

None of those involved winning a playoff series, let alone making the World Series. Let’s just get there. Figure out if we’ve done well from there.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

None of those involved winning a playoff series, let alone making the World Series. Let’s just get there. Figure out if we’ve done well from there.

I'll just be on the record as saying this rebuild will be a conplete and utter failure, and I think Rick Hahn would agree, if the Sox did not at least win one championship, when really the goal is to build for multiple.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I'll just be on the record as saying this rebuild will be a conplete and utter failure, and I think Rick Hahn would agree, if the Sox did not at least win one championship, when really the goal is to build for multiple.

Between the Yankees and Dodgers, they each just have one in the past 44 combined years....

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Between the Yankees and Dodgers, they each just have one in the past 44 combined years....

And they've had the resources and the effort. LA has been going for it hard every year for as long as I can remember, and they went 30 something seasons between titles. There's a lot more luck involved than anyone thinks about. The Braves just won a fluke WS out of nowhere after they went 1 for 14 in the Bobby Cox era. Once you have a competitive run, you also need guys who just get it done in the playoffs and you can't really control that too much. The Dodgers and Braves didn't have that, certainly in part due to their HOF aces being generally worse pitchers in October than they were in the regular season. Those teams were based on Maddux and Kershaw. You can't replace those guys with some other HOF ace. But it's hard to win it all when your ace gives up 5R in 5 2/3 in a pivotal game 5. When that happens regularly you end up scratching your head how you only won it 1 time, or not at all. One of Cease/Kopech/Giolito needs to be a Josh Beckett type in the playoffs. You need someone to win 2 games in a series. 

Edited by KBX
  • Like 1