Cle 77.6

Kc 69.4

Det 67.4

2nd in AL

Both have sox 6 games ahead but pecota has them at more wins

wow, I would pound that over if it really was 87 LOL .  I'd drop a lot of money

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

wow, I would pound that over if it really was 87 LOL .  I'd drop a lot of money

The Dodgers at 94 seems like a safer bet to me.

Theres some interesting things in here. Fangraphs has the Sox 11th, PECOTA has them 5th.

Fangraphs has the Twins with a 50% shot at the playoffs without adding a pitcher.

Both are down on the Rays, I will believe they miss the playoffs when they’re eliminated.

PECOTA likes the Yankees, fangraphs likes the Blue Jays.

Both have the Red Sox in the mid-80s and third in their division.

Pecota has the Angels at a better than 50% chance at the playoffs, it really likes their offense, but is down on their run prevention.

Atlanta and the Mets are separated by about a game between both of them combined.

Big predicted leads in both Central divisions.

Padres are likely playoff team in both, big drops for the Giants.

The Sox won 93 against, frankly, a weak schedule:  AL Central, 6 games v. Cubs, etc.  On paper, the SP looks weaker.

BUT, a lot of players were out for extended periods last year.  I see OF, including RF, as a strength, not a weakness.  Hopefully the bullpen investment will take a lot of innings and pressure off of the starters (who broke down in the  playoffs).
In all, I see 90-93 again.

Now the Twins may have just had "one of those years" and could pop back up like the Sox did in 2008 after the 2007 debacle.  But, I didn't think they were particularly good in 2018-2020 when their records were good, so I see last season at least partially due to reversion to the mean.

Edited by GreenSox

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox won 93 against, frankly, a weak schedule:  AL Central, 6 games v. Cubs, etc.  On paper, the SP looks weaker.

BUT, a lot of players were out for extended periods last year.  I see OF, including RF, as a strength, not a weakness.  Hopefully the bullpen investment will take a lot of innings and pressure off of the starters (who broke down in the  playoffs).

Now the Twins may have just had "one of those years" and could pop back up like the Sox did in 2008 after the 2007 debacle.  But, I didn't think they were particularly good in 2018-2020 when their records were good, so I see last season at least partially due to reversion to the mean.

You see RF as a strength?  How?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Just a note - it seems like the Sox were hurt by injuries last year but on average they were surprisingly healthy. They had the 6th fewest days for players on the IL of teams in the sport. Yes, Robert for 3 months is a key injury, as is Eloy, but people need to calibrate themselves for what injuries are like these days. An average team last year used the IL for 400 days more than the white Sox, the white Sox used the IL for 33% fewer games than the average team. Squads like the Mets and Padres who were really banged up used the IL almost twice as much as the White Sox. 

The Sox’s roster is on average quite a bit older than last years’. You can’t be surprised if they have more injuries this year than last, including seemingly key guys again.

39 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

deleted

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

31 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'm high on Sheets, Vaughn and Engel.   

You’re high on Sheets & Vaughn despite the Jermaine Dye level defense they provided in RF last year?  And you’re high on Engel despite coming off of surgery and consistently missing time every season?

Adam Engel might be the most overrated player in Soxtalk history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re high on Sheets & Vaughn despite the Jermaine Dye level defense they provided in RF last year?  And you’re high on Engel despite coming off of surgery and consistently missing time every season?

Adam Engel might be the most overrated player in Soxtalk history.

Me also. I see, at least, 30 home runs from that group, at least 30. Whatever wRC that translates too, it will more than make up for the defense.

Am I crazy, but didn’t Sox win a World Series with Dye level defense in RF, literally?

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Me also. I see, at least, 30 home runs from that group, at least 30. Whatever wRC that translates too, it will more than make up for the defense.

Am I crazy, but didn’t Sox win a World Series with Dye level defense in RF, literally?

Sure, but 2005 Dye was significantly better than Dye 2006 forward and Sheets / Vaughn unfortunately were similar to the latter last year.

And to be clear, anything is possible and teams can obviously overcome weaknesses.  That being, it’s not ideal running a pair of 1B out in RF and poor OF defense will be exploited in the post season.

• Thanks 1