4th best rotation?

Chimpton

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Assuming he does not get injured, how many innings do you expect Kopech to pitch?

Well, that is a bit of a loaded question, given that SPs tend to get hurt a fair amount, and that that SPECIFIC SP has a non-insignificant injury history. [I know, I know, we're supposed to dwell on Rodon's injury history, but absolutely ignore Kopech's injury history, so that RH gets a pass.]

That said, Kopech:

• went 5 IP only once last season, 4 IP only once last season, and 3 IP only four times.
  • He's also [AFAIK], not facing live batting in ST as we type this.
  • He only was able to produce 69.1 IP all season long, and had to go on the IL.

At the moment, I think it is reasonable to not only question Kopech's durability to produce 120+ IP over the course of a season, but also, his endurance to go 5IP in a single game with regularity. [Of course, there's also Katz's/TLR's proclivity to allow SPs to go on fumes in a game, because they don't seem to have a handle on pitcher useage.]

Most of this is not Kopech's fault, IMO. This org has done a shitty job preparing him, and got hooked on the "sugar high" of his talent being in the bullpen.

All this taken together, given Kopech's [SHHHHHH!!!] injury history, his 2021 IP production, the abject failure to stretch him out, and his current injury status make me believe that he'll produce between ~90 and 110 IP this season. 90 IP is a ~30% increase in IP, while 110 IP is a ~59% increase in IP. Either way, I doubt he won't be on fumes by ~September or so, meaning another SP will have to step up, IMO. [Thank God for the most expensive BP in MLB history, though, amirite?]

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

18 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, that is a bit of a loaded question, given that SPs tend to get hurt a fair amount, and that that SPECIFIC SP has a non-insignificant injury history. [I know, I know, we're supposed to dwell on Rodon's injury history, but absolutely ignore Kopech's injury history, so that RH gets a pass.]

That said, Kopech:

• went 5 IP only once last season, 4 IP only once last season, and 3 IP only four times.
  • He's also [AFAIK], not facing live batting in ST as we type this.
  • He only was able to produce 69.1 IP all season long, and had to go on the IL.

At the moment, I think it is reasonable to not only question Kopech's durability to produce 120+ IP over the course of a season, but also, his endurance to go 5IP in a single game with regularity. [Of course, there's also Katz's/TLR's proclivity to allow SPs to go on fumes in a game, because they don't seem to have a handle on pitcher useage.]

Most of this is not Kopech's fault, IMO. This org has done a shitty job preparing him, and got hooked on the "sugar high" of his talent being in the bullpen.

All this taken together, given Kopech's [SHHHHHH!!!] injury history, his 2021 IP production, the abject failure to stretch him out, and his current injury status make me believe that he'll produce between ~90 and 110 IP this season. 90 IP is a ~30% increase in IP, while 110 IP is a ~59% increase in IP. Either way, I doubt he won't be on fumes by ~September or so, meaning another SP will have to step up, IMO. [Thank God for the most expensive BP in MLB history, though, amirite?]

I thought I saw a post where he is pitching today or tomorrow. 

I don't think anyone has ever ignored the Kopech injury issue but you keep on keepin on.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I thought I saw a post where he is pitching today or tomorrow. 

I don't think anyone has ever ignored the Kopech injury issue but you keep on keepin on.

Because somehow adding two injured pitchers together means one healthy pitcher to cover a season, even though it really doesn't work like that.