GAMETHREAD 4/27/22: KC Royals at ChiSox (Greinke vs Cease) 1:10 pm CDT

4 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

At some point, Abreu needs to realize he's not producing shit and until he does he shouldn't be taking away from people who are.

Hopefully a day over 46 degrees will help Jose rally some what.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kopech is the Rodon replacement. He's been almost as good. 

They adequately replaced Rodon. They did not adequately replace their 5th starter. 

Turned on the Giants last night and was surprised to see Luis Gonzalez starting in CF and having a nice year so far,  Couldn't find a role on a team that desperately needs a plus fielding OF that hits left handed though....

Just now, brijames1957 said:

Any competent manager and FO would see that it is time to permanently give AV 1B and move Abreau to DH. It is a huge disservice to AV to ask him to play in the OF. He is a 1B and he needs to play. The Tigers sat Miggy and gave 1B to Torkleson. 

Vaughn gives the team flexibility, and he is a better defensive LF than Eloy. Would prefer the Sox stick with Abreu, Sheets and Eloy at 1B/DH, let Abreu take a FO position after the season. No need to give him a Konerko type extension for old times sake. 

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’m on the list of a few people who wanted to do the bolded. But I also realize it takes more than just Sheets to get Montas.

Then there was another list of people who seemed to be okay with not replacing Rodon with an established major league arm (and not just Kopech) and the depth on this club. That list should be kept too.

Not replacing Rodon is still top tier stupid, but shouldn't come at the cost of Vaughn when it could have just cost money.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

At some point, Abreu needs to realize he's not producing shit and until he does he shouldn't be taking away from people who are.

Or he needs ABs to break out of the slump.

Just now, Quin said:

Not replacing Rodon is still top tier stupid, but shouldn't come at the cost of Vaughn when it could have just cost money.

Again, they replaced Rodon with Kopech, who has been nearly as good. Letting Rodon walk isn't the problem. 

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Vaughn gives the team flexibility, and he is a better defensive LF than Eloy. Would prefer the Sox stick with Abreu, Sheets and Eloy at 1B/DH, let Abreu take a FO position after the season. No need to give him a Konerko type extension for old times sake. 

You're forgetting they wanted to rest Grandal more as he gets older...still a logjam.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kopech is the Rodon replacement. He's been almost as good. 

They adequately replaced Rodon. They did not adequately replace their 5th starter. 

Either way, they picked up a wildcard for the rotation in Velasquez when they could have gotten an established arm. I disagree that Kopech was the replacement  for Rodon, he should have been an arm in addition to Rodon’s replacement.

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So, we had the ridiculous conversation about having either Moncada or Burger play 2B when Moncada is back.

Now that Eloy is out for a while, would either of them be better than Vaughn in LF? Vaughn really needs to be primarily a 1B/DH and in LF only sparingly.

No I don’t think either of them should be in left field. Let’s not have any more ridiculous conversations about players playing out of position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

He's a notoriously slow starter.  Like I agree, he's a bit past his prime but he also won an MVP two years ago but I also think he's still good for a .270 average with 30 home runs and 100 RBI.

That's fine, but let him rotate at 1B, DH, and Bench with Vaughn, Sheets and Burger until he starts producing. He shouldn't be penciled in every day as the 1B like he's still Jose Abreu in his prime.  Gotta work the younger guys in without forcing them to play out of position all the time.

Just now, The Beast said:

No I don’t think either of them should be in left field. Let’s not have any more ridiculous conversations about players playing out of position.

Wouldn't Moncada out of position in LF be better than Vaughn out of position in RF though?

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, they replaced Rodon with Kopech, who has been nearly as good. Letting Rodon walk isn't the problem. 

You keep telling yourself that.  They let someone walk without a QO.  Rodon could have rejected the QO and it would have turned into a draft pick.  More of those are better.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't want him at first base anymore but once the weather warms up I expect Jose to start hitting again. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

You're forgetting they wanted to rest Grandal more as he gets older...still a logjam.

Grandal's contract and fWAR is a sunk cost, He's fortunate they don't have automated strike zones, otherwise his primary strength (pitch framing) would be neutralized.  Now that he is DHing more than Catching, his fWAR remains negative.

• Haha 1