AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The W/L controversy surrounding last night is dumb. I love the W/L stat but it's gonzo forever. The stat lovers who took over the game deemed it meaningless and pitchers aren't expected to even go more than six innings max anymore, so it's meaningless and should not even be a subject of discussion ever again.  Thank goodness in 05 pitchers were allowed to throw complete games.

We're going the way of the openers. Soon starting pitchers will be extinct. 3 innings for a starter/opener, max. They need to reduce the IP requirement for a win to be 3 innings so openers can get Ws. 

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

We're going the way of the openers. Soon starting pitchers will be extinct. 3 innings for a starter/opener, max. They need to reduce the IP requirement for a win to be 3 innings so openers can get Ws. 

I don't think this will totally happen.  You may see it fir the 4th and 5th starter. Bit can you see limiting scherzer or Giolito to 3 innings?

29 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Couldn't the voters just... look at their other statistics and body of work?

If a pitcher wound up with 300 wins for a career he was just about assured of entry into the HOF I can't name one pitcher with 300 wins who isn't in the Hall except for Clemens and we know why he's not in.

I would venture to say we will never see another pitcher with 300 career wins maybe not even 200, what the new criteria will be for entry in the HOF will be is interesting, I'm sure ERA will be a factor along with strikeouts and probably WHIP and WAR.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why does 6 innings matter if your team wins the game.  Who cares 

Cause it was fun for me at least to watch a masterful pitcher orchestrate an entire game. To finish what he started. It was a beautiful part of baseball, knowing you would see an elite pitcher that night try to go deep in the game:  I remember driving to the game with my dad, the most important thing would be what pitching matchup we'd see that night.

How bout in 05, all those complete games in the postseason. Beautiful artwork on the mound.

Pitchers throughout history who could go deep in games: Just look at the Hall of Fame list to list several. The Sox's best teams throughout history have had pitchers who could and would go deep in games. For me ... it's boring to know a pitcher will go 4 to 5 2/3 innings max. And it's sad.

Just me. I may be weird but I long for Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins, LaMarr Hoyt, Tom Seaver, Mark Buehrle ... so many more to mention. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the day starting pitchers mattered more than one-inning wonders who take over in the sixth. Somebody important decided that a starting pitcher going through the order a third time was not necessarily a good thing.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

Imagine for a moment thinking that because some teams prefer to limit their starter innings in April and May that it will lead to a collapse of baseball pitching as we know it.  But, I guess we are playing the IDGI game again 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Imagine for a moment thinking that because some teams prefer to limit their starter innings in April and May that it will lead to a collapse of baseball pitching as we know it.  But, I guess we are playing the IDGI game again 

They call 'em "openers" for a reason. It's coming and it's not fun. 95-100 then sliders low and away, whiff.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Imagine ignoring three years of the most disrupted baseball since WWII, and trying to pretend that one fringe thing that basically no one is doing, is actually happening everywhere.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Cause it was fun for me at least to watch a masterful pitcher orchestrate an entire game. To finish what he started. It was a beautiful part of baseball, knowing you would see an elite pitcher that night try to go deep in the game:  I remember driving to the game with my dad, the most important thing would be what pitching matchup we'd see that night.

How bout in 05, all those complete games in the postseason. Beautiful artwork on the mound.

Pitchers throughout history who could go deep in games: Just look at the Hall of Fame list to list several. The Sox's best teams throughout history have had pitchers who could and would go deep in games. For me ... it's boring to know a pitcher will go 4 to 5 2/3 innings max. And it's sad.

Just me. I may be weird but I long for Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins, LaMarr Hoyt, Tom Seaver, Mark Buehrle ... so many more to mention. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the day starting pitchers mattered more than one-inning wonders who take over in the sixth. Somebody important decided that a starting pitcher going through the order a third time was not necessarily a good thing.

Hell yea man.  I thought it was a better game then too.   I get why it’s where it is now, but the 2000s was the best version of baseball I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1