Student Teaching: Calling advice from all teachers

BridgeportHeather

So, I was talking with a professor yesterday, and she informed me of my placement for student teaching during the last 3/4 of next semester. I will be student teaching at Wilmington High School, which is just south of Joliet, allowing me to live at home in Bolingbrook during my student teaching process. I am asking for those of you who are currently teachers to give me any advice you may have with regards to preparing to be an effective student teacher.

Thanks!

I'm currently teaching at the university level, but I did teach 10-12th grade biology several years ago. My absolute downfall was discipline. For honors and A.P. classes, the kids actually liked being there and it was no sweat. But for 10th grade general bio my lack of skill as a disciplinarian killed me and they ate me alive for a while.

If you are going to be lucky enough to be in a situation where you will still have the primary classroom teacher on-hand to police the class while you execute lessons you'll have few problems. Otherwise, I would be prepared to be a hard-arse for a while even though you'd like to be more personable - you know it's the nice teachers they love to screw around with. Bust some heads (figuratively), then let up as you can. You'll have a challenge since the tone for the year has already been set by another teacher, but hopefully you are walking into a good group (i.e., not too many of them in Joliet to be close to their incarcerated parents and whatnot).

My wife is a first year 8th grade teacher and is currently learning the ropes of classroom manegement. She is finding out that everything they say about the importance of procedure procedure procedure is true. She already can't wait for Christmas break, which I'm sure is not a good sign.

Break a leg!

Is spanking still legal?

Ribbie,

What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes is ok. Go for it!

If she'll put on the Rhubarb costum ~ even better ;) :D

In the classroom at the HS level, probably won't work.

If they smell blood they'll be all over you. When you start to slip think JM and what it got him.

Be consistant, be consistant, be consistant. I work with 11 to 18 year olds and if you waver and sometimes are lax and joking like a HS kid then come down like Miss Diseal you'll have problems. Give them praise when deserved. Find someone doing something right and sing to the heavens.

Best of luck.

I'm going to school for Poly Sci/secondary ed.  keep the posts coming, I'm interested.

I am a Poly Sci major too, got one semester and 2 classes in the summer and I'm done...

Who knows what I'll do after that though, thinking about going back for a year so I can be licensed to teach...

I am a Poly Sci major too, got one semester and 2 classes in the summer and I'm done...

Who knows what I'll do after that though, thinking about going back for a year so I can be licensed to teach...

that's most likely what I'll do. Are you thinking about teaching high school gov't? what about graduate work?

I'm in love with the fact that you can do so much with a poli sci undergrad degree.....

• 3 weeks later...
that's most likely what I'll do. Are you thinking about teaching high school gov't? what about graduate work?

I'm in love with the fact that you can do so much with a poli sci undergrad degree.....

Yeah, I'm good friends with a Poly Sci B.S. owner. Graduated a few years back. Um, he's a Kitchen Manager at an Outback Steakhouse!!! Those Poly Science Degrees are worth more than gold!! :lolhitting

one thing that I'm planning on doing is having mandatory 10-15 minute sit down meetings with each of my students at the beginning of the year. I want them to know that I'm available for help any time they need it, and I want them to feel comfortable with telling me how they best learn and what they expect to get out of class. Being a hard ass is important as long as they see you're willing to listen and I agree with being consistent.

and ALWAYS BEGOOD:)

So, I was talking with a professor yesterday, and she informed me of my placement for student teaching during the last 3/4 of next semester.  I will be student teaching at Wilmington High School, which is just south of Joliet, allowing me to live at home in Bolingbrook during my student teaching process.  I am asking for those of you who are currently teachers to give me any advice you may have with regards to preparing to be an effective student teacher.

Thanks!

I did a little research for you. Wilmington High School performs slightly below the state of Illinois average. For the 20002-23 school year the composite ACT score for the school was 19 compared to 19.9 for the average score in the state. Unfortunately for you the composite math score is 18.0 which is considerably below the state average of 20.1. The school district is about 95% white with most of the minority students being Hispanic. Sounds somewhat rural and a little bit below average economically.

Regarding your student teaching. The hard truth is that you will be at the mercy of your mentor teacher. If the teacher is on your side, and lays down the law to his/her students then you'll probably have a relatively easy time. If your mentor teacher does what a lot of them do and throws you to the wolves, then it's going to be Excedrin headache time. Another factor is whether or not this school is used to having student teachers year in and year out. If they are it will make somewhat of a positve difference for you.

Even in the best of circumstances student teaching and substitute teaching can be rough. High school students can be brutal to both students and subtitutes. You are not that much older than the students so they may have trouble seeing you as an authority figure. The more competent you are in your subject matter the better off you will be. If it looks like you don't know what you're teaching it's all over for you. Ditto if you act scared. The first week is important in establishing order and discpline.

In school, as in life, personalities are important. If the kids decide they like you, because you're "cool", "smart" or whatever then the time will go by fast and the experience will be great. If possible it would be good if you could observe your mentor teachers classes for about a week before you actually handle the classes by yourself. This will give the kids a chance to see you, get to know you and feel comfortable around you. They will already think of you as their "teacher" before you even begin to conduct class. This is so much better than trying to teach stone cold.

If ISU has a decent Education program they will have thought of all this and you will be well prepared. Unfortunately most schools Education programs leave a lot to be desired. Good luck. Hope all goes well. Let us know.

I'm currently teaching at the university level, but I did teach 10-12th grade biology several years ago.  My absolute downfall was discipline.  For honors and A.P. classes, the kids actually liked being there and it was no sweat.  But for 10th grade general bio my lack of skill as a disciplinarian killed me and they ate me alive for a while.

If you are going to be lucky enough to be in a situation where you will still have the primary classroom teacher on-hand to police the class while you execute lessons you'll have few problems.  Otherwise, I would be prepared to be a hard-arse for a while even though you'd like to be more personable - you know it's the nice teachers they love to screw around with.  Bust some heads (figuratively), then let up as you can.  You'll have a challenge since the tone for the year has already been set by another teacher, but hopefully you are walking into a good group (i.e., not too many of them in Joliet to be close to their incarcerated parents and whatnot).

My wife is a first year 8th grade teacher and is currently learning the ropes of classroom manegement.  She is finding out that everything they say about the importance of procedure procedure procedure is true.  She already can't wait for Christmas break, which I'm sure is not a good sign.

Break a leg!

I completely disagree that the students pick on the nice teachers. I knew and had plenty of cool teachers, and they we're adored by almost every student who was in class, with the exception of those kids who just hate everything about school. And every teacher who had a bad rep or was a horrible teacher, had s*** planned against them weeks in advance to f*** with them.

At least in my case, being a hard ass, send you to the office and the drop of a hat kind of teacher DID NOT WORK.

Being a cool teacher does not mean you're a teacher who doesn't command respect and who's kids never pass because of a lax environment. Some of the best final grades I had in school we're from the cool teachers. And some of the worst from horrible teachers, it's not a coinsidence.