How Unconcerned Should We Be?

asindc

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Either?  Both?  IDK.  There is definitely something mental when they shrivel up vs Cleveland though.  

Possibly goes back to Hahn wanting Hinch instead of TLR and now he’s just being overruled on anything that happens now internally in the organization and is not happy about it. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Possibly goes back to Hahn wanting Hinch instead of TLR and now he’s just being overruled on anything that happens now internally in the organization and is not happy about it. 

That series late 2020 when the Sox clinched and were in first place, then absolutely got destroyed in Cleveland sticks in my head after last night.  I don’t know if there is a direct connection but more times that not it seems they shrivel in the big moments vs Cleveland. 

The hubris of the organisation is on full display.  The walking corpse of TLR being forced on everyone, the lack of depth, lighting stacks of cash on fire around the margins while never paying up for difference makers, handing Leury a 3 year deal, thinking Gavin freaking Sheets  was a viable RF option and not grabbing any proven bats.  The list goes on.  The roots go all the way to the chairman and down to the FO.  I don’t know how the same people responsible for the mess fix their own mess. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That series late 2020 when the Sox clinched and were in first place, then absolutely got destroyed in Cleveland sticks in my head after last night.  I don’t know if there is a direct connection but more times that not it seems they shrivel in the big moments vs Cleveland. 

The hubris of the organisation is on full display.  The walking corpse of TLR being forced on everyone, the lack of depth, lighting stacks of cash on fire around the margins while never paying up for difference makers, handing Leury a 3 year deal, thinking Gavin freaking Sheets  was a viable RF option and not grabbing any proven bats.  The list goes on.  The roots go all the way to the chairman and down to the FO.  I don’t know how the same people responsible for the mess fix their own mess. 

Yeah things are not going to change until an individual buyer comes in and purchases this team and he has 100 percent ownership of the team. Treats this organization as a big market team like it should be and allows his staff to make decisions and do their job instead of butting in.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

That would pretty much make the White Sox the most dysfunctional organization in MLB if what you asserted was actually true.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Correct.  They don't suck like the bad teams do, but they seem to have zero resolve and fold at the first sign of adversity. 

They're good, but not good enough. 

Last night just proved that it's the defense that will make or break this team.  I think the offense will come around and starting pitching if healthy is nails.  But nothing I've seen this year makes me think we aren't going to see another Leury in RF type debacle in the playoffs again even if we do make it.  This team makes those mistakes way too consistently to not expect it at this point.

I don't think much will improve in this organization until there is new ownership.

Even the large markets teams treat scouting and development as a priority.  They don't always litter their organization with former players. Some odd resewn fans are for this.

I guess though there is more improvement in some areas with drafting and development.

They still think career NL players will make an immediate impact which seems to fail. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Last night just proved that it's the defense that will make or break this team.  I think the offense will come around and starting pitching if healthy is nails.  But nothing I've seen this year makes me think we aren't going to see another Leury in RF type debacle in the playoffs again even if we do make it.  This team makes those mistakes way too consistently to not expect it at this point.

Starters going for more Ks than innings exposes the overrated pen. 

3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Well, Hahn's previous four managerial decisions were:

1. Begging Robin Ventura to stay beyond 2016, after four years of complete horseshit.
  2. Promote Ricky Renteria within 24 hours after Plan 1 failed.
  3. Extending Ricky Renteria in October 2019.
  4. Firing Ricky Renteria 60 games later.

Thinking through this out loud in an attempt to ease my mind a bit. In the simplest terms, for me it all comes down to: Can the talent overcome the flaws?

This team might have the most talent in baseball.

They also have:

• Piss poor fundamentals
  • Negligent managing
  • Problematic roster construction
  • Questionable organizational decision making and chain of command
  • Unfortunate injury luck

I absolutely think they have enough talent to win in spite of the above, but it's a lot to overcome. Some things are in their control to fix (fundamentals,...well I wish this list was longer), others they're just sort of stuck with. 

Time will tell. Good thing it's a long season. A loooong, roller coaster of a season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Yeah things are not going to change until an individual buyer comes in and purchases this team and he has 100 percent ownership of the team. Treats this organization as a big market team like it should be and allows his staff to make decisions and do their job instead of butting in.

I've thought along these lines for decades.

8 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Thinking through this out loud in an attempt to ease my mind a bit. In the simplest terms, for me it all comes down to: Can the talent overcome the flaws?

They also have:

• Piss poor fundamentals
  • Negligent managing

I absolutely think they have enough talent to win in spite of the above, but it's a lot to overcome. Some things are in their control to fix (fundamentals,...well I wish this list was longer), others they're just sort of stuck with. 

Time will tell. Good thing it's a long season. A loooong, roller coaster of a season.

I’m not ready to say this team is the most talented in baseball even on paper when the Dodgers exist as a thing.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m not ready to say this team is the most talented in baseball even on paper when the Dodgers exist as a thing.

I’m not either, but I think there’s at least a case to be made. The Dodgers as an organization seem to squeeze every little bit out of each player. The Sox don’t quite have that luxury, so there’s more of a reliance on raw talent IMO.

40 minutes ago, Snopek said:

They also have:

• Piss poor fundamentals
  • Negligent managing

It is indeed a lot to overcome.  One or two of these flaws might not be a major hinderance, but all of them together and a drunk/asleep at the wheel "manager"?  Hard to see this talented mess going very far w/o some serious luck.

I'm concerned about inability to beat the Central teams. Let's say Sox have a series against a Central Division team on the road. Are you confident the Sox have even a shot at winning that series? Nobody fears the Sox and I'd say Sox chances of winning a road series vs. Cleveland, KC, Minnie or Detroit are not good the rest of the season.

That leaves home games vs. those teams. Sox 'should' beat them every time. It's not happening. That is a concern. Maybe it'll change when the team is healthy.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm concerned about inability to beat the Central teams. Let's say Sox have a series against a Central Division team on the road. Are you confident the Sox have even a shot at winning that series? Nobody fears the Sox and I'd say Sox chances of winning a road series vs. Cleveland, KC, Minnie or Detroit are not good the rest of the season.

That leaves home games vs. those teams. Sox 'should' beat them every time. It's not happening. That is a concern. Maybe it'll change when the team is healthy.

Come on, it's a SSS issue.  There's no magical quality possessed by AL Central teams -- we just happened to have played our worst in the small number of series we've played against them prior to early May 2022.  We'll see how it shakes out over a whole season.