GT 5/14: Yankees @ SOX, 6:10 pm CT, NBCSC

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

It was his best game in his 11 years in a White Sox uniform.

I'm not sure what he actually did well.  Should have had McGuire in for Grandal.  Trusting Hendriks?...but it really came down to Kiner Falefa's base running blunder.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They're obviously going to struggle without Buxton and Correa, just like the White Sox don't win tonight without Luis Robert.

I'm just amazed they are 2 games behind themselves 

• Haha 1

They're obviously going to struggle without Buxton and Correa, just like the White Sox don't win tonight without Luis Robert.

I mean we would still be a value bet to win the Central right now. I find it hard to believe Lynn won't be better than Vince and that Jose and Yasmani won't hit a combined .180 all year. I mean they could, but I choose not to visualize it.

I'm not sure what he actually did well.  Should have had McGuire in for Grandal.  Trusting Hendriks?...but it really came down to Kiner Falefa's base running blunder.

• Trusted Keuchel through 5 (though should have had someone warming up after the second base runner, Justin Case).
  • Used Graveman against the heart of the order, and for two innings.
  • Pulled Kelly while they still had a lead.
  • Pushed Abreu down to fourth in the lineup (he should stay 4th/5th).
  • Started Engel in RF, had their best defensive lineup.

Tony really feared going down 3-0, nice to see he and the team responded the way they did.

Just now, Heads22 said:

I mean we would still be a value bet to win the Central right now. I find it hard to believe Lynn won't be better than Vince and that Jose and Yasmani won't hit a combined .180 all year. I mean they could, but I choose not to visualize it.

Well, I definitely wouldn't bet against the Sox.  Not sure how confident I would be betting huge on them, though.

The Indians' offense was bound to come back down to earth.

Likely comes down to pitching to win it...and injuries/attrition. 

That said Moncada playing like a star would help offset the aging issues with Abreu and Grandal.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • Trusted Keuchel through 5 (though should have had someone warming up after the second base runner, Justin Case).
  • Used Graveman against the heart of the order, and for two innings.
  • Pulled Kelly while they still had a lead.
  • Pushed Abreu down to fourth in the lineup (he should stay 4th/5th).
  • Started Engel in RF, had their best defensive lineup.

Tony really feared going down 3-0, nice to see he and the team responded the way they did.

No way he goes to Kelly in the 6th.  To TLR he is forever postseason 8th inning stud Joe Kelly and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, I definitely wouldn't bet against the Sox.  Not sure how confident I would be betting huge on them, though.

The Indians' offense was bound to come back down to earth.

Likely comes down to pitching to win it...and injuries/attrition. 

That said Moncada playing like a star would help offset the aging issues with Abreu and Grandal.

They are .500 for how poorly they've played.  I do still expect them to go the playoffs for a 3rd year in a row by winning the division.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

No way he goes to Kelly in the 6th.  To TLR he is forever postseason 8th inning stud Joe Kelly and nothing else.

Graveman and Liam were his only two good options tonight, and in the foreseeable future. Injuries played a role (Bummer and Crochet), but it's primarily on Hahn, for not drafting / developing quality bullpen depth throughout his tenure.

Going strictly on baseball acumen, given an option of having a solid GM and Tony as Manager, or having Hahn and a solid Manager, there is only one proper answer.

Should McGuire just come in to catch 9th innings so Liam can actually throw a breaking pitch with a guy on 3rd? Seems like neither Yaz or Liam have any confidence in Yaz blocking a pitch in the dirt. 

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Graveman and Liam were his only two good options tonight, and in the foreseeable future. Injuries played a role (Bummer and Crochet), but it's primarily on Hahn, for not drafting / developing quality bullpen depth throughout his tenure.

Going strictly on baseball acumen, given an option of having a solid GM and Tony as Manager, or having Hahn and a solid Manager, there is only one proper answer.

They have drafted a TON of relievers.

The problem is most of them haven't panned out...at least until this season.  Still the bulk of the bulk of late inning responsibility falls to imported talent.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They have drafted a TON of relievers.

The problem is most of them haven't panned out...at least until this season.  Still the bulk of the bulk of late inning responsibility falls to imported talent.

Yes, that is the point. Quality, not quantity, is what is important. 

Banks, Burr, Foster, Graveman, Hendriks, Kelly, Lopez, Ruiz and Sousa.

These are the "multi-championship" bullpen options in May, 2022.