Moncada + Grandal

WBWSF

7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Neither are "great", and we needed Moncada to be great and consistent by the age of 25 when there was value to that contract.    Assuming player A above (whoever it is) eventually got great at say age 29-30 what good does that do for the White Sox right now for this championship window? 

And Moncada's stats above include a spectacular 2019 season which clearly is starting to look like a complete anomaly.  

I see, so the only value players have is when they are cheap? Moncada putting up a 5 WAR season would be useless because his contract is too expensive now? 

Player A's stats since then (including age 28) are .321/.352/.481/.833

Maybe that's not good enough though. Maybe it's all just an anomaly. 

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

It seems like every year we have threads questioning players' fundamental ability to hit after, say, 50 at bats. 

I don't know why Moncada has a particularly short leash with this board, but it seems he does. 

Yoan currently has a .194 BABIP. That will change.  

He also has a 111 career OPS+. By comparison, Ron Kittle had a 110 OPS+.  

Yoan also has generated 3.71 WAR per 162 games.

Also - for those saying that the defense is propping his stats up - did you know that Anderson has a higher defensive RWAR per 162 than Moncada does? 

I just don't understand why people can't seem to see he is a great player.   

Great player? No way, great players usually make the Hall of Fame, Yoan has no chance.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Taken from the Menechino thread:

Yasmani Grandal

Decreased his LA to 12.5, down by 2 points from last season.

His GB% has increased by 4% since last year, and 8% the year before that.

Lowered his K% significantly, while simultaneously increasing his Swing% (10%!)

Swings at balls out of the zone more by 4%, and a 15% increase from 2020.

Hes hitting the ball less hard than last year, a decrease of 9%! (Might be due to chasing)

His BB% has decreased from 23% to 12%

Wow, so Grandal is swinging at pitches out of the zone more, decreasing his walks. When he does make contact its weak and in the dirt half the time. Grandal needs to go back to being selective and wait for his pitch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Great player? No way, great players usually make the Hall of Fame, Yoan has no chance.

You realize you are closing the door on Yoan's entire career before he's even reached the age that Jose Abreu debuted in the majors, right? 

I really don't get it. Moncada is still a few days away from his 27th birthday. He had COVID during 2020, and is coming back from an serious injury in 2022. Why does everyone want to race to be the first to say a Sox player is an utter failure? I think I'll give it a couple more years. 

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

You realize you are closing the door on Yoan's entire career before he's even reached the age that Jose Abreu debuted in the majors, right? 

I really don't get it. Moncada is still a few days away from his 27th birthday. He had COVID during 2020, and is coming back from an serious injury in 2022. Why does everyone want to race to be the first to say a Sox player is an utter failure? I think I'll give it a couple more years. 

I hardly consider a minor oblique strain a serious injury.  Yoan just doesn’t look physically like the same player he was in 2019.   The speed (running and bat) seemed to have greatly diminished.

Yoan's not hitting the ball hard at all, thats his problem. Since his breakthrough season in 2019, he has been increasing his Contact%, walks, and has decreased his strikeouts. 

His peripheral stats look great, however his hardhit% has gone from 48% in 2019 to 33% (2020), to 40% (2021). Its at 34% this season.

He is barreling up the ball as much this season as he was in 2019, unfortunately its on the ground. 49% GB rate this season, 7% higher than in 2019. 

He needs to hit the ball harder like in 2019. I am not sure how he has lost so much power, but if hes swinging the ball less hard for better contact then he needs to flip that around and go back to the hitter hes meant to be.

Edited by reiks12
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I see, so the only value players have is when they are cheap? Moncada putting up a 5 WAR season would be useless because his contract is too expensive now? 

Player A's stats since then (including age 28) are .321/.352/.481/.833

Maybe that's not good enough though. Maybe it's all just an anomaly. 

LMAO.   

Moncada is not putting up a 5 WAR season anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Yoan's not hitting the ball hard at all, thats his problem. Since his breakthrough season in 2019, he has been increasing his Contact%, walks, and has decreased his strikeouts. 

His peripheral stats look great, however his hardhit% has gone from 48% in 2019 to 33% (2020), to 40% (2021). Its at 34% this season.

He needs to hit the ball harder like in 2019. I am not sure how he has lost so much power, but if hes swinging the ball less hard for better contact then he needs to flip that around and go back to the hitter hes meant to be.

Without checking stats, it seems he’s been grounding out a lot into the shift 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Without checking stats, it seems he’s been grounding out a lot into the shift 

He is hitting grounders 49% of the time this season which is a substantial increase from years prior. The same can be said about every Sox hitter except for Anderson.

13 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Grandal was vastly overrated defensively to the point I think he’s a liability there now. Offensively he’s not good enough to be an every day DH. 

He was never rated defensively.  He was rated as a framer very highly but apparently that has gone away.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Then he should go back on the IL and let Burger play.

Seems like that is probably why they selected Burger when Robert was placed on the Covid IL. So Burger can spell Moncada for a game or two while he is up.

Edit: although, we do have a couple of days off coming up in the next 6 days.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hurt Yoan batting 3rd today.

Don't worry, these next two are likely getting rained out. 

Anyway, I still think that Yoan can be a good offensive player, but I don't think he's ever going to be the superstar we were sold. If that makes him disappointing, so be it. 

I think somewhere between 3.5-4.5 WAR is where he's going to be most of the time. Still well above average, but not star. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't worry, these next two are likely getting rained out. 

Anyway, I still think that Yoan can be a good offensive player, but I don't think he's ever going to be the superstar we were sold. If that makes him disappointing, so be it. 

I think somewhere between 3.5-4.5 WAR is where he's going to be most of the time. Still well above average, but not star. 

The ability to draw walks is nice (not that he has been this season so far) but I definitely thought he would hit for more power. That is the aspect that is disappointing.