Moncada + Grandal

WBWSF

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't worry, these next two are likely getting rained out. 

Anyway, I still think that Yoan can be a good offensive player, but I don't think he's ever going to be the superstar we were sold. If that makes him disappointing, so be it. 

I think somewhere between 3.5-4.5 WAR is where he's going to be most of the time. Still well above average, but not star. 

I'd be ecstatic if he came close to Robin Ventura, the player not the manager.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

28 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Sorry, meant "Hibbard".

Yeah to clarify my position:

I guess I’m looking at the 2 complete seasons in which Moncada went a combined .291 / .371 / .479 / .850 over 1175 plate appearances as a sign of massive improvement, while a lot of other people seem to look at the 225 PA during the 2020 season in which he had COVID and the 58 PA coming off the oblique strain as surefire evidence Moncada is not up to snuff. 

I suppose I’m the one who’s crazy, though.  

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I haven't been a huge fan of the lineups to be honest. I feel TLR is always adding one bad hitter to every lineup and I don't really get why.

Play the best hitters and let them figure it out and either sink or swim. Perfect example is why is Sheets getting all these at bats? Look I get we have injuries but Abreu and Vaughn should be playing every game at DH/1B. If you need outfielders call someone up or make a trade don't throw Vaughn into the outfield to get Sheets into the lineup he isn't hitting so why take the defensive hit?

14 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I haven't been a huge fan of the lineups to be honest. I feel TLR is always adding one bad hitter to every lineup and I don't really get why.

Play the best hitters and let them figure it out and either sink or swim. Perfect example is why is Sheets getting all these at bats? Look I get we have injuries but Abreu and Vaughn should be playing every game at DH/1B. If you need outfielders call someone up or make a trade don't throw Vaughn into the outfield to get Sheets into the lineup he isn't hitting so why take the defensive hit?

43 games; 43 different lineups.  Today will be no different.  Tony is the smartest guy in the room, according to him. 

24 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Are there any signs in the stats that suggest Grandal isn’t completely cooked?

Grandal still has the 6th largest difference between his expected slugging based on contract and his actual slugging and 7th largest difference between his expected and actual wOBA. While the ball or other physical factors may well play a role in this, it’s notable that some other guys who were at the top of those lists a few weeks ago like Merrifield and Abreu have performed better lately.

41 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Certainly could not see it yesterday, but Fegan had an article talking with Menechino and Yaz was discussed. He said Yaz had his best cage session this season Wed and was now onto approach as opposed to mechanics, insinuating he’d sorted out his swing issues. Again, last night we got 4 weak grounders so take it for what it’s worth. 

Yaz was like Superman with a bat when he returned from the IL last summer. It’s hard to believe a guy could fall off so quickly. There’s gotta be something in the tank, but they gotta stop batting him in the middle of the order until he finds it in game. 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, Greg Hibbard said:

Yeah to clarify my position:

I guess I’m looking at the 2 complete seasons in which Moncada went a combined .291 / .371 / .479 / .850 over 1175 plate appearances as a sign of massive improvement, while a lot of other people seem to look at the 225 PA during the 2020 season in which he had COVID and the 58 PA coming off the oblique strain as surefire evidence Moncada is not up to snuff. 

I suppose I’m the one who’s crazy, though.  

I wouldn't say crazy, but seriously confused!

The original Sale trade was to get a #1 overall prospect in MLB. It was not to get a consistently injured player, who you get to project production based on a select two seasons of the six seasons he has played. That is not what the Sox signed up for.

He also was suppose to be a 2nd baseman, if he would have worked harder at being a good 2nd baseman, then a former #1 draft pick and potential great player like Jake Burger, wouldn't have to be playing part time or being sent down to Charlotte.

I am tired of all these excuses that are made for Yoan, like, "It's still early in the season and he'll get better". News Flash! We are only 44 games into the season. Go check the MLB stats and count how many players are having great years. Great players just play great and get it done!

2022 stats:

59 AB's
BA .136
BABIP .158
OBP .177
SLG .254
OPS .431
1 double
2 HR's 
2 BB's
Career BA .257

I'm sorry, but that is not a great player for a former #1 prospect and a major part of the Chris Sale trade.

Btw, if Moncada is playing hurt, then they need to put him on the IL and play Burger. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

He just went away from his approach, which was a patient hitter ok with taking his walks. His swing% is about 10 to 15% higher this year. All this to say maybe his visions going, but like every hitter in this lineup hes chasing bad pitches.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:01 AM, WBWSF said:

Neither  Moncada and Grandal are hitting there weight. I went to the game last night and noticed that the Red Sox 3rd baseman is  playing in the shortstop position when these 2 come up to bat. All they would have  to do to get on base would simply bunt down the 3rd baseline. Is it beneath them to do that?. They would get on base every time as long as the 3rd baseman was playing at short.

I would think in high school and Little League and Babe Ruth a coach would DEMAND his batter plop down a bunt in such a scenario. But not the shift happy big leagues. The player still has to try to lift and pull and so often hits right into the shift. Disgusting.

I think of a single in baseball as a player catching a fish in a pond and tossing it right back unless it's a whopper. Singles ... ah, who needs 'em?

Edited by greg775

I know people hate firing the hitting coach when players struggle, but there is no way in hell I’d give up on either of these guys or Eloy without providing them access to a new voice.  Grandal’s approach at the plate in particular is radically different from the rest of this career.  Sucks for Menanchino, but I think it’s time to make a change.