GT 6-4: Dodgers @ Sox (7:10pm)

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If that was the case, wouldn't he have sucked last year too? He didn't.

There was a significant portion of us on this board that questioned where his power was last year.  He fielded great and walked a lot, but let’s not act like his slugging was good.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yoan is clearly not 100% and would be much better if healthy (how much so obviously TBD).  It’s not clear if Grandal is hurting or impacted by offseason surgery, but perhaps there is something there.  Neither guy walking is very weird though.

They're not walking because pitchers can get them out in the zone. 

Also, are we sure that Yoan is hurt? If he is hurt, why the fuck is he playing because he's killing them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright boys, the Sox have reclaimed 2nd place in the Central after last night’s win and now are four games back of the divisional lead.  A win tonight would put us back at .500, which would be a nice milestone with Lynn & Eloy coming back soon and hopefully Anderson in a few more weeks.  It would also ensure that we’re at .500 heading into six games against the Rangers & Tigers.  As such, wining one of these next two games will be huge.

Tonight will prove the more challenging games of the two remaining with the Dodgers.  On the mound for LA is Tony Gonsolin, who currently sits 6-0 with a 1.59 ERA, 3.04 FIP, and a 90th percentile xwOBA.  Beyond just being awesome to start this year, the dude has a wide assortment of secondary pitches that should pose problems for us.  Against righties, he primarily uses his slider (.152 wOBA | .255 xwOBA) and against lefties a combination of a split finger fastball (.143 wOBA | .194 xwOBA) and a curve (.000 wOBA | .048 xwOBA).

As such, Tony won’t just be able to stack the lineup with bad LH hitting tonight.  Gonsolin’s biggest weakness has traditionally been his walk rate, so if I’m Tony I’m probably starting every guy who has a semblance of plate discipline and hoping Cueto can keep us alive until we reach their bullpen.  Unfortunately we don’t have many players that fit that billing, so I’d look to prioritize defense where possible (i.e. Pollock in LF & Engel in RF).  Also, I pray that Legend and his two walks will be on the bench, but fully expect Tony to bat him leadoff due to his speed & switch hitting abilities.

This game isn’t going to be easy and will likely come down to Cueto’s pitching performance tonight.  If he can limit the Dodgers to two runs over say six we may be able to squeak out a win.  If not, at least Thursday poses a far more favorable matchup for us.  Either way, we got nothing to lose tonight given the tough matchup and hopefully the offense can find a way to surprise us.

Let’s fucking go!!!!

We got Leury hitting lead off , Moncada 3rd. ,and Grandal 5 th. TLR back to his old tricks - lefty/righty matchups no matter how bad the lefties are.  BTW,  Leury promptly swung at the first pitch of the game and popped out.  No patience, no working counts, no walks, looks like Gosolin is going deep into this game.

Edited by hankchifan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

There was a significant portion of us on this board that questioned where his power was last year.  He fielded great and walked a lot, but let’s not act like his slugging was good.

We know that, but it was good enough. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yoan is clearly not 100% and would be much better if healthy (how much so obviously TBD).  It’s not clear if Grandal is hurting or impacted by offseason surgery, but perhaps there is something there.  Neither guy walking is very weird though.

What's the opposite of a guy having a career year called?  If this many hitters on this roster continue to struggle, I do not see how Menechino survives.  Someone has to take the fall.

Does defense matter to you or not? 

Yes.  But Burger isn't that bad at 3B and will probably get better with more experience.  Moncada was supposed to be a 2B to begin with.  

And defense matters much more to me than it does to a team that plays 1B/DHs in the outfield and Catchers at 1B on a regular basis.

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Yes.  But Burger isn't that bad at 3B and will probably get better with more experience.  Moncada was supposed to be a 2B to begin with.  

And defense matters much more to me than it does to a team that plays 1B/DHs in the outfield and Catchers at 1B on a regular basis.

You're making defense worse at two positions moving Moncada to 2B. 

3 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

just needed my reminder of TLR incompetence

todays line-up

I can't stand Tony either, but there's not much he can do when the highly paid guys like Pollock, Grandal and Moncada aren't worth a damn, and that's not even counting Leury and Harrison. 

Those guys will get every opportunity to get their shit together just because of their paychecks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, caulfield12 said:

There's always OU/TX softball. Pretty incredible that's the more rational viewing choice.

Or Game 3.

Definitely switching to game 3. I hope Draymond's bum ass gets ejected. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

5 players in this lineup with an OPS under .600

TLR playing the matchup game with crappy switch hitters hitting 1st., 3rd and 5 th. And Sheets has been pretty crappy lately.  At least, we didn’t get Harrison tonite.

You're making defense worse at two positions moving Moncada to 2B. 

But you're improving OF defense by allowing Vaughn and Abreu to play 1B/DH and playing Pollock and Engel in the corners.  Overall I would say the team is better off with Pollock LF, Engel RF, Burger 3b and Moncada 2B over Vaughn LF, Sheets RF, Moncada 3B and Leury/Josh 2B.

And if Moncada is such a big dropoff defensively at 2B and doesn't get his hitting turned around, just put Leury/Josh/Mendick back at 2B and let Moncada be the utility guy.  His bat this year hasn't earned him a permanent starting position anymore.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

But you're improving OF defense by allowing Vaughn and Abreu to play 1B/DH and playing Pollock and Engel in the corners.  Overall I would say the team is better off with Pollock LF, Engel RF, Burger 3b and Moncada 2B over Vaughn LF, Sheets RF, Moncada 3B and Leury/Josh 2B.

And if Moncada is such a big dropoff defensively at 2B and doesn't get his hitting turned around, just put Leury/Josh/Mendick back at 2B and let Moncada be the utility guy.  His bat this year hasn't earned him a permanent starting position anymore.

What to do with Moncada while Burger is raking is the biggest question facing this team. You have to give him an opportunity to get out of the slump, but at the same time you're costing the team games doing so.