Is it just me

The Beast

didn't know which thread to post this in...

I can’t say that I love Jesus

That would be a hollow claim.

He did make some observations

And I’m quoting them today.

"Judge not lest ye be judged."

What a beautiful refrain.

The studio audience disagrees.

Have his lambs all gone astray?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the single greatest cause of Atheism is Christians.

I would agree with that. Christians have too often made the faith a concern with selfishishness and other things and were I not already a believer, I wouldn't be. But I am a believer to the core of my being and as Reformation day approaches next Friday, time to reflect on what reformation we need again in this day, in this time and place.

The two portions of the Christian Bible, Prime Covenant and Christian Covenant (aka Old and New Testaments) must taken as whole by those who take it seriously, and I do. In accord with the ugsburg Confession (and Happy Reformation Sunday to everyone tomorrow) the Scriptures are the authority, the source, the norm, for the faith and life of the Church.

There is only place in Scriptures that I am aware of where it speaks of what God requires - in Micah 6.8 - and it is always instructive to read Micah. What God requires of us is to do justice, seek mercy, and walk humbly with out God.

The place in Scriptures that speaks of what God hates is in Amos - and what God hates is the worship of God when there is no justice, no equity for the poor and dispossed, where concerns for those in need are not foremost. (Amos 5)

And that reminds us that our faith - for those who are of the faith - is not about our personal salvation, as if faith were a fire insurance policy to avoid "hell." Our faith is not about ourselves. Our faith is one where the over riding passion is for justice, equity, mercy, concern for others. We are called into a covenental relationship is which God is our God and we are God's people and we are called to live doing justice, seeking mercy, walking humbly.

The 10 Commandments by Catholic-Lutheran numbering contain only 3 commandments about our relationship with God but 7 about living with justice towards others. (By Episcopal-Protestant numbering, that would be 4 and 6.) Jesus reminds us very clearly of the ethic of love - and calls us to, in a very dynamic way, love God and love others in such a simultaneous way that there is no separation. (Read James: if someone says they love God but harbor hate, they are not in the light.) We are called to be active witnesses to justice, to have compassion onm those in need, to feed those who are hungry, visit those in prison - the sheep and goats story, "when did I not do these things for you - you did not do them whenever you did not do them to the least of these my brothers and sisters." We are called by Jesus to be: peacemakers, to set aside any hate and even any ill will we feel towards others (Matthew 5 and following). We are called to be active agents of God's love towards all people - as Luther said, to be "little Christs" in the world. And by our fruits they shall know us.

The faith testified to by the Scriptures is not a list of you can do this but not that and you must believe this and not that in terms of any type of doctrinal points or dogma. What does God require: said only once, in Micah 6.

And living in that covenantal relationship means that we have assurance that in all things, including life and death, nothing can separate us from God.

But it is a covenental relartionship. The key question, the essential question, is not "where will I spend eternity." That is up to God anyway and thank you God for all grace which means that nothing separates us from God in this life or what is to come. The essential question is, how am I living a life right now at this moment that bears withness to justice and mercy, that displays kindness and compassion, that is actually about the needs of others and not my own self.

I think God is far less concerned about whom signs up onto what religious program and sets of beliefs as much as God is concerned that we (who are Christians) live as Christ has entered our lives, giving us witness and access to God, in whom the covenant is based. Seek first what God has required - the rest shall be supplied.