Sox vs Minny 7/4/22 game thread Sweet Home Chicago, without Tony

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not sure Katz should keep his job either. There's been a ton of regression from pitchers this year. 

I can't look at the before & after with Lucas, Cease, Rodon, Lopez & Kopech and say Katz doesn't deserve his job. Katz is one of the best things the Sox organization has going for it right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure Katz should keep his job either. There's been a ton of regression from pitchers this year. 

Cueto Kopech and Cease have been great.  Lynn is coming around.  

The whole argument here is about Giolito.

Because even Banks Martin and Lambert are pitching key innings and doing pretty well.

I'm not sure if those are cutters that Liam threw or they're just slightly faster sliders. Adding a cutter would be huge for Liam as it would give him a horizontal pitch that he doesn't end up spiking more often than not. 

It's still a problem. 

How? Injuries aren’t his fault. Cease is arguably the best pitcher in the AL and Kopech wasn’t too far behind him. The pitching is the only reason this team isn’t 6 feet under by now. 

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I can't look at the before & after with Lucas, Cease, Rodon, Lopez & Kopech and say Katz doesn't deserve his job. Katz is one of the best things the Sox organization has going for it right now.

I know Kopech has had good results this year but have you seen his expected numbers? Looks a lot like Lopez 2018. 

Giolito has taken a major step backwards. 

Bullpen kinda sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Insane. Lynn injured most of the time. Giolito regressed but mos of it after he got Covid. Cease and Kopech no regression at all and Cueto has been wonderful. BP injuries, wth you talking about ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, T R U said:

How? Injuries aren’t his fault. Cease is arguably the best pitcher in the AL and Kopech wasn’t too far behind him. The pitching is the only reason this team isn’t 6 feet under by now. 

Seen Kopech's expected stats? They're not good. 

I know Kopech has had good results this year but have you seen his expected numbers? Looks a lot like Lopez 2018. 

Giolito has taken a major step backwards. 

Bullpen kinda sucks. 

Gio's strikeout and walk rates are basically unchanged from his previous 3 years. He's fine. The statcast data being bad this year which I know you've cited isn't predictive at all. Cease and Rodon alone are enough to justify keeping Katz around for awhile.

• Thanks 1

One thing to note...I think had Engel ran for Sheets initially instead of after Moncada's single, Engel probably ends up at 3rd instead of 2nd and the situation there is completely different. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Seen Kopech's expected stats? They're not good. 

Katz has been here 2 years and in 1 of those seasons they had arguably the best pitching staff in baseball. Two of the pitches (Cease + Rodon) went from looking like lost causes to CY contenders. He previously did the same work with Lucas before getting hired here. No pitching coach is going to turn every pitch on their staff into an ace/relief monster. Katz is as good as the Sox are realistically going to do. It's nice they have at least 1 modern coach with some influence in their organization.

• Like 3