Sox vs Minny 7/4/22 game thread Sweet Home Chicago, without Tony

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Engel was by himself and only had to watch the play.  What was Boston’s responsibility then, standing mere feet from Yoan?

By the time he would have even said something, it would have been too late.  It’s not like he would have been yelling at Yoan to tag up.

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

ya bad umpires are bad - the "well they are bad for both teams" never pans out... because when they miss a pitch could be at a more crucial situation.

The guy tonight was horrible... just plan bush league.

i will say its the first really bad umpiring ive seen in a while however.

Do you watch every day ? I do and there has been some incredibly bad umpiring this year.

Just now, fathom said:

By the time he would have even said something, it would have been too late.  It’s not like he would have been yelling at Yoan to tag up.

At least he caught it, get back…in the end, it would have been 2 outs recorded and a runner on first.

Engel’s out was the killer.  Like Zavala and Mendick a few times recently. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, having the first 8-5 triple play in history under your watch is SOMETHING.

Didn't they at least beat Michigan or PSU on of those years?  Wisconsin?

He's never beat the Hawkeyes and that's all that matters to me.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you watch every day ? I do and there has been some incredibly bad umpiring this year.

i was agreeing with you boss

I only watch white sox games and very few other mlb games.

I think overall balls and strikes have been terrible for the last few years specifically.

Tonight, was the first night in a while where i thought the balls and strikes were terrible.

but ya there were plenty of other bad plates this year.

I still believe good coaching might salvage some of these dudes and it needs to happen soon.  But no, they have to keep fucking around in their supposed window and let TLR drive the clown car completely off the edge into the ravine. 

• Like 4

I was at the game but forgot my phone...that was a mess.  Nice bobblehead.

First off why didnt Engel run for sheets intially.  He ends up at third on moncadas hit.

Moncada was half way to third ..first time he hustled in 2 years and makes history being may culprit in first ever 8-5 triple play.

Tim Anderson is not a leadoff hitter.

Tony guys thrown but nobody ever knew it. 

The offense is beyond broken Robert and Vaughn don't even try and pull the ball moncada doesn't even swing hard any more.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

At least he caught it, get back…in the end, it would have been 2 outs recorded and a runner on first.

Engel’s out was the killer.  Like Zavala and Mendick a few times recently. 

go back and watch it though... what yoan did was equally if not more baffeling.

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Just watched the replay over and over and Moncada took off and put his head down well before Buxton caught the ball.

Just made no sense......it was like we were throwing this game tonight

ya - wtf was yoan doing?

9 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Hahn should have spent the Kelly money instead on a good every day lefty outfielder.  Hahn seems obsessed with relievers instead. The Needless Kimbrel acquisition last season started the decline of the Sox.

Well the team was sharper when they had the scrubs in the first half providing the energy and focus for sure. Kimbrel was just a dumb move that poured gas on the fire. This group is a bad bunch of coconuts. In the FO you gotta be able to see problems and weaknesses, and react ahead of time in some instances. They desperately need a new set of eyes like the Bears.

4 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

He was watching the play in front of him after all…

He either thought it was a homer or Buxton wasn’t going to make the play.

Bad baseball IQ all around in that situation, but Engel has to be on third standing.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

Haha…well, Lincoln Riley in the Big Ten West is going to doom Iowa and Wisconsin unless he goes to the pros.  Probably have to deal with Oregon/Nike, too.

I hate that USC and UCLA are in the big ten now but this is the unfortunate reality of modern day college sports. I long for the days of the 11 team Big Ten.

Adding Nebraska made a ton of sense for the Big Ten but the Rutgers/Maryland additions were a pure business decision. Whatever lies ahead for college football will look nothing like the sport I grew up watching.

Of course, I'll still be tuned in every Saturday so I guess I'm the sucker in this scenario.

Bad baseball IQ all around on that situation, but Engel has to be on third standing.

ya they were both dumb.. but i think maybe engel saw yoan coming at him full speed and threw him off.

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I still believe good coaching might salvage some of these dudes and it needs to happen soon.  But no, they have to keep fucking around in their supposed window and let TLR drive the clown car completely off the edge into the ravine. 

This is so true yet so depressing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Bad baseball IQ all around in that situation, but Engel has to be on third standing.

Either way it's a double play only Engel would be on 3rd with 2 outs . If the both make the right play it's 1st and 3rd 1 out. To have 2 runners make simultaneously stupid plays is the reason why it's never happened in baseball history.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If he thought it was a home run why was he running so hard? I think Moncada assumed that Buxton was not going to make that catch.  It was a terrible play by Moncada in a tied game late.  He lost focus and showed lack of fundamentals.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I hate that USC and UCLA are in the big ten now but this is the unfortunate reality of modern day college sports. I long for the days of the 11 team Big Ten.

Adding Nebraska made a ton of sense for the Big Ten but the Rutgers/Maryland additions were a pure business decision. Whatever lies ahead for college football will look nothing like the sport I grew up watching.

Of course, I'll still be tuned in every Saturday so I guess I'm the sucker in this scenario.

ND to the Big 10…has to happen.   Utah CO ASU AZ to Big 12.  WSU and Oregon State are now isolated along with UC Berkeley…

Or they skip Wash and Oregon and go after UVA UNC (most likely) or Miami (one of the three) to pair with ND.

That might force FSU and Clemson to the SEC?

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

If he thought it was a home run why was he running so hard? I think Moncada assumed that Buxton was not going to make that catch.  It was a terrible play by Moncada in a tied game late.  He lost focus and showed lack of fundamentals.

I guess he was just excited…?  There’s really no good explanation that makes sense.  The ball wasn’t carrying well to the gaps all night long.

11 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Engel was very close to second base when he took off as Moncada was barreling down.  Engel should gone back to second and tag the base before he started running.  At least we would have had a man on 3 rd with 2 out and saved the embarrassing triple play, that will put the Sox in laughingstock lore forever.