If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

No idea why Soto would even consider locking himself into a 15 year deal at the age of 23. He will have generational wealth with a 6/7 year deal and then potentially hit the open market again at 30. With the way salaries are continuously going up I wouldn’t want to be locking in my salary for a decade +.

He could test free agency, get a 6 year $210 million deal and then be a free agent again at age 30, then get an 8 year $400 million deal.

He could also get a rash of injuries and not get any of it.

It's a matter of how much risk he's willing to take.

46 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Soto will eventually wind up on the Yankees or Dodgers, who else will give him 500 million, that's a half billion dollars, gadzooks.

That’s why we have a chance!   Ain’t nobody trading tons of prospects for a guy who’s going to reject 440M!  Nats would be lucky to get Colson now ?

Gotta play big boy ball Jerry/Kenny/Rick.   Do you have big boy pants in the drawer?

On 7/9/2022 at 5:18 PM, South Sider said:

I agree with this, and for Soto I would trade anyone on the farm. For years we have passed up on opportunities for great players - Machado, Harper, Betts etc. 

It's time to stop fucking around and go and get one of the best LH hitters in the game. If we need to deal with TLR and all this other bullshit, at least go get us Soto.

What would it take to get the deal done? 

Soto (Boras) rejected a $440M offer from the Nats. Don’t get your hopes up.  He is out of JR price range.

He is 23.  Locking in 15 years is nuts, even if it is the highest dollar contract ever given out.  Unless he has opt outs every few years, I don't blame hit at all for turning that down.  $10/$350M with opt outs after 3, 5, 7 or so would be a much more favorable deal IMO.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He is 23.  Locking in 15 years is nuts, even if it is the highest dollar contract ever given out.  Unless he has opt outs every few years, I don't blame hit at all for turning that down.  $10/$350M with opt outs after 3, 5, 7 or so would be a much more favorable deal IMO.  

Can you imagine a guy with a real good job who makes 100,000 a year would have to work 5000 years to amass 500 million dollars.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Let's not compare regular jobs with pro athletes, m'kay. Not a fair comparison. 

True but still....

I remember when Ted Williams being the first 100,000 ballplayer, my dad was making about 10 grand a year so for comparison sake it would take him 10 years to amass 100K.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Some real OKC vibes to Washington in they had that incredibly star laden team and the only one they could keep was Strasberg.

But they won a chip so respect.

The Sox will not be a player but you should do everything for Soto.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

True but still....

I remember when Ted Williams being the first 100,000 ballplayer, my dad was making about 10 grand a year so for comparison sake it would take him 10 years to amass 100K.

Who was first Million-dollar player?  MLB and NFL?

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Who was first Million-dollar player?

Triple Crown winner Citation in 1948.

Bowler Don Carter is the first human after signing a $1M endorsement in 1964 for Ebonite.

It's possible, perhaps likely, Lew Alcindor, aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, was the first $1M team sport athlete during his time at UCLA.

Lew most certainly took a pay cut to join the Milwaukee Bucks upon graduation in 1969 ($1,4M / 5 years) after rejecting the ABA New York Nets offer of $3.2M. Was already financially secure via "Papa Sam" Gilbert at UCLA to pass on $1.8M.

John Wooden's Pyramid of Success

pyramid-on-one-dollar-bill-picture-id920

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Fegan's offer: Eloy, Vaughn, Montgomery, Colas, Vera

I think the only real way Sox can do it is if they trade out giolito.

Trading Vaughn defeats the purpose.

The other thing is taking Strasberg back. 

You really can’t do this trade if it depletes major leagues too much. It has to be additive.