Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?

ron883

Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?

• Strive mightily to buy a LHH
    • Don't buy a LHH at the deadline

Where are we at in the season? Are you buyers or sellers? Left handed hitter still seems like the biggest and most obvious hole. Are the Sox good enough to be buyers? Who you going for?

Happ, Benintendi are both options in the OF. Would be nice replacing Gavin with one of them. 

Edited by ron883

We’re going to be .500 at the break, 3 games out of the divisional lead, and 3.5 games out of the sixth WC spot.  We have three against the Indians when play returns before 18 straight games against the Rockies, A’s, Royals, Rangers, & Tigers.  Yes, we should be buying and a LH bat is a must.  No more fucking excuses Hahn, get it the fuck done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re going to be .500 at the break, 3 games out of the divisional lead, and 3.5 games out of the sixth WC spot.  We have three against the Indians when play returns before 18 straight games against the Rockies, A’s, Royals, Rangers, & Tigers.  Yes, we should be buying and a LH bat is a must.  No more fucking excuses Hahn, get it the fuck done.

I haven't even looked who is available really. Assuming the Sox wouldn't be able to get Soto. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s the problem…the options aren’t great for RF or 2B.  Hahn will need to get creative and that’s not really his strength.

If you think Benintendi or Happ can slide over to RF, they're decent options. Easily better fielders than Gavin Sheets. I can see Benintendi reverting back to his normal self though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know playoff odds aren't everyone's cup of tea, but Fangraphs is likely to have the Sox over 50% and as division favorites after today's game. They have to be buyers at this point.

Your idea of Pollock+ for Gallo has stuck with me. I'm not sure if the Yankees would go for it, but it's something I'd be very interested in if they would. Tyler Naquin is LH and has a 117 wRC+ vs righties. He'd be a good cheap target even if I'd want them to aim higher. David Peralta has a 110 wRC+ vs RHP and would likely be a Tony favorite since he played for him in AZ. Benetendi and Joc are obviously better than both of those guys, but the vaccine issue would have me uneasy about trading for Benetendi & the Giants are 1 game out of a WC spot so I don't foresee them as likely sellers.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If you think Benintendi or Happ can slide over to RF, they're decent options. Easily better fielders than Gavin Sheets. I can see Benintendi reverting back to his normal self though. 

Happ is an interesting target, particularly because it seems clear Hahn & Hoyer like trading with each other. Problem is, I don't know if the Sox have the pieces to land him without including Montgomery.

Only if a rental and cheap.  
Long term planning when buying at the deadline is counterproductive.  Buying now usually means paying a premium for career years, trading young for old, instead of retooling.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Happ is an interesting target, particularly because it seems clear Hahn & Hoyer like trading with each other. Problem is, I don't know if the Sox have the pieces to land him without including Montgomery.

Happ would definitely cost an ass and a leg. I don't see Montgomery getting traded. It would certainly cost Vera or Colas in the deal. 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Only with 2 or more years of control.

This. No way I give up anything valuable for someone who's a FA at the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

No way it should take Montgomery to get Happ.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know playoff odds aren't everyone's cup of tea, but Fangraphs is likely to have the Sox over 50% and as division favorites after today's game. They have to be buyers at this point.

Your idea of Pollock+ for Gallo has stuck with me. I'm not sure if the Yankees would go for it, but it's something I'd be very interested in if they would. Tyler Naquin is LH and has a 117 wRC+ vs righties. He'd be a good cheap target even if I'd want them to aim higher. David Peralta has a 110 wRC+ vs RHP and would likely be a Tony favorite since he played for him in AZ. Benetendi and Joc are obviously better than both of those guys, but the vaccine issue would have me uneasy about trading for Benetendi & the Giants are 1 game out of a WC spot so I don't foresee them as likely sellers.

Benintendi has also never played RF in his career. Same issue that Pollock has basically. Both are probably fine in LF but they probably end up looking lost in RF. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I honestly think a Pollock for Gallo swap could have worked, but AJ has been so bad as of late that his player option becomes a legit risk of being accepted.  After that, I really struggle who might make sense.  Naquin is probably the best cheap rental option for RF, but’s not going to be a game changer for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly think a Pollock for Gallo swap could have worked, but AJ has been so bad as of late that his player option becomes a legit risk of being accepted.  After that, I really struggle who might make sense.  Naquin is probably the best cheap rental option for RF, but’s not going to be a game changer for us.

It's a lateral move for the Yankees. Pollock is probably a platoon player for them and I don't even know who they'd play on the strong side of the platoon along with him if they don't have Gallo. 

• Like 1