Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?

ron883

Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?

• Strive mightily to buy a LHH
    • Don't buy a LHH at the deadline

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Myers is hurt. Welcome to Chicago. Mazara has replaced him but they're also looking for another OF bat down the stretch.

Merrifield is anti-vax...unless he's on a contender and has to play meaningful games. Toast.

Those options pretty much suck.  Laureano would be the choice there with Blackmon too expensive.

Merrifield also sucks now. 

Blackmon actually has solid numbers this year, but he's got reverse splits and a near 200 point difference in OPS between home/away. 

Edited by chw42

Perhaps trade a LHH for Jason Heyward. :o

Chicago White Sox send AJ Pollock (34) LF, Gavin Sheets (26) DH, Prospects

Chicago Cubs send Willson Contreras (30) C, Ian Happ (27) CF/LF and Jason Heyward (32) DFA

Lineup: (Career OPS)

1. Tim Anderson (SS) .763
  2. Yoan Moncada # (3B) .768
  3. Luis Robert (RF) .833
  4. Jose Abreu (1B) .865
  5. Willson Contreras (C) .809
  6. Ian Happ # (CF) .806
  7. E. Jimenez (LF) .803
  8. Andrew Vaughn (DH) .740
  9. J. Harrison (2B) .716

Bench: Leury Garcia # (INF/OF) .648; Adam Engel (OF) .644; Yasmani Grandal # (C) .793; Jake Burger (INF) .769

Cubs save $10M. Heyward likely would be DFA'd. Willson Contreras would really help the pitching staff, IMO, and also the lineup. He has only caught 47 games this season, so will be fresh for the second half (unlike overworked Kimbrel last year).

Grandal would catch veterans Lynn and Cueto, WIllson catches Lucas, Kopech and Cease. Grandal and Burger can also DH once or twice a week depending on pitching, Vaughn spelling Eloy in LF. Shift Robert to RF when Happ is starting, otherwise, Robert plays CF and Engel RF.

If not able to pull off, I'd just target Ramon Lauerano or Tyler Naquin for RF.

Fire Menechino, tell players to lift the ball and let's take this horseshit AL Central and perhaps make some noise in the playoffs.

I'm ok with our catching situation for this year. Seby has been really good filling in lately.

Rick Hahn owes this team a big trade win here. Most of his moves (or lack of moves) the last year or two have been failures. It's time to justify that he deserves to keep his job after this season. Because right now I'm not sure that he does. And I used to be a big fan of his. And honestly, I'm not even sure what he can do, because he has cornered himself with a relatively weak farm system that he has built (or not built).

Whatever he does though, do not trade Montgomery, Colas  or Vera. They can't have nothing in the pipeline. That just doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'm ok with our catching situation for this year. Seby has been really good filling in lately.

Rick Hahn owes this team a big trade win here. Most of his moves (or lack of moves) the last year or two have been failures. It's time to justify that he deserves to keep his job after this season. Because right now I'm not sure that he does. And I used to be a big fan of his. And honestly, I'm not even sure what he can do, because he has cornered himself with a relatively weak farm system that he has built (or not built).

Whatever he does though, do not trade Montgomery, Colas  or Vera. They can't have nothing in the pipeline. That just doesn't work.

That's a lot of confinement.  The best trade Hahn can do is none at all. Let it be a lesson and be active in the FA market for 2023. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

That's a lot of confinement.  The best trade Hahn can do is none at all. Let it be a lesson and be active in the FA market for 2023. 

I mean, yeah. Are we feeling good enough about this team that we want to sell our future down the river? Maybe the answer is yes. I don't think the answer is yes from me though.

19 minutes ago, Sarava said:

My eye is on the playoffs. Preventing runners from running at will. Handling the staff. Pitch calling. Being able to allow pitchers to throw their best breaking pitches and not worry about the catcher not handling the balls in the dirt. Catching plays at the plate.

It's a key position and don't trust what the Sox have back there on the big stage. If the Sox win 3 of 4 vs. Cleveland, perhaps 4 of 5 from Colorado and Oakland and are buyers at the deadline, 2 or 3 solid difference makers could give the Sox a legitimate chance to make and compete in the playoffs.

Looking at three players, Ramon Laureano, Willson Contreras & Luis Castillo. Landing these three or perhaps two and another solid player would rejuvenate the team and would be comparable to what Atlanta did last year. Would tell the clubhouse the organization is serious this season and beyond.

Laureano is controllable for two more seasons, Castillo for one more season. Contreras wants to stay in Chicago (perhaps more so the Cubs) . If it's a good fit (clubhouse, the staff likes/loves him), perhaps they can work out a solid 3 year deal with a 4th team option.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s the problem…the options aren’t great for RF or 2B.  Hahn will need to get creative and that’s not really his strength.

If you expand the search to CF it gets a bit better and the fielders become better. Still there are too many among them who are RH. With Robert's troubles assuming he can come back relatively quickly moving him to RF might be the best idea and looking for a LH CF.

With the Orioles looking better not sure if they would move Santander but him or someone like him looks like a good choice. Happ, Reynolds are options. David Peralta would be cheap most likely as a rental but he's strictly LF. Prefer younger anyway.D'backs have a lot of LH OF guys Alek Thomas , Daulton Varsho, Pavin Smith (1B/OF like Sheets so not likely an upgrade), Jake McCarthy ( no power).

Blackmon is a rental but plays DH more than RF now, still a good hitter.

Pirates Reynolds would be awesome . They also have Jake Suwinski really promising kid from Chicago (Taft HS). Already has 1.2 fWar despite hitting below .200. Having 14 HR's helps .

Odubel Herrera doesn't move the needle much,no power , doesn't walk but capable of playing all OF positions

Cole Calhoun . Bleh.

Jesus Sanchez , 24 ,CF Marlins, big kid like Robert. Playing every day with the Marlins. Has the good physical tools but his approach not great. Wouldn't help Sox OBP but stick him in CF or RF against RHP and he'll hit some bombs and help a lot defensively . Say what you will about Menechino and Robert's stance, if Robert is listening to Menechino you can't really complain about the results. He shows flashes of superstardom, like for the last month. We'd all like him to hit 40 bombs and walk more,but I'd be thrilled with healthier versions of Robert and maybe Sanchez can become that. Doubtful Marlins part with him.

The best targets have to be Reynolds, Santander,( not a good fielder) Happ (hasn't play RF at all this year) or target a young guy who might not be the Solution now. I love Colas but he has a ways to go . Maybe offer Colas for Suwinski or make him part of a Reynolds so yeah slim pickings.

My advice: fast track Colas or trade him. He started lower in the minors than I thought he would. 3 yrs ago he got a cup of coffee at the highest level of Japanese ball unless someone tells me the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks aren't top level.

15 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I wouldn't assume any NL bat is going to come in and make a difference right away since they haven't faced AL pitching.  Sox have back luck with NL guys.  How will it be different this time?

You always make so much sense in any argument you make but this thing you have about NL players coming to the Sox has got to stop especially in trade deadline moves. The talent available is going to come from teams you aren't in direct competition with. Teams in your own division are likely out, other AL contenders are likely out. Doesn't leave many teams in the AL , Angels, Texas, A's , Tigers and KC probably .Orioles have really come together nicely once Rutschman was brought up. That kid is special behind the plate. Everyone in the AL East is in the wild card hunt.

That mostly leaves the NL where you can trade with the Phillies, D'backs, Cubs, Marlins,Nationals, Reds and Rockies or find a guy not needed much on a contender and it won't matter since it's  unlikely a trade would bite you in the ass because both teams getting to the World Series is unlikely.

Maybe it's not the NL guys coming to the AL that makes them bad . Could be they were old or our scouts , GM and talent evaluators in general are bad. Lemahieu's done well since leaving Colorado and coming to the Yankees despite all the fuss about hitting in Colorado. When you deal for fringy type players you get fringy type results.

• Thanks 1

They'll probably make a silly trade with the Cubs; young for old and average.  Something like the KImbrel trade:  Crochet and an interesting prospect for Happ.  Hahn might throw in Burger, too.    Doesn't require much energy and ya gotta pay for Happ's career year.

Edited by GreenSox

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They'll probably make a silly trade with the Cubs; young for old and average.  Something like the KImbrel trade:  Crochet and an interesting prospect for Happ.  Hahn might throw in Burger, too.    Doesn't require much energy and ya gotta pay for Happ's career year.

I'd do Crochet and Burger for Happ, personally 

30 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am swinging big at the deadline. Land a star left handed bat. Just make sure it is a long term play. 

I'd be good with that.  This is our window, for better or worse, so we should go for it if the right "big" move is there.  I'm not in favor of swinging light, though.  I don't want to keep giving up long term pieces for things we don't really need, or for lateral moves.  I'd put a Happ trade more in the second category than the first.  I wouldn't be shocked to see an improved Pollock put up numbers comparable to Happ without giving up a thing.

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You always make so much sense in any argument you make but this thing you have about NL players coming to the Sox has got to stop especially in trade deadline moves. The talent available is going to come from teams you aren't in direct competition with. Teams in your own division are likely out, other AL contenders are likely out. Doesn't leave many teams in the AL , Angels, Texas, A's , Tigers and KC probably .Orioles have really come together nicely once Rutschman was brought up. That kid is special behind the plate. Everyone in the AL East is in the wild card hunt.

That mostly leaves the NL where you can trade with the Phillies, D'backs, Cubs, Marlins,Nationals, Reds and Rockies or find a guy not needed much on a contender and it won't matter since it's  unlikely a trade would bite you in the ass because both teams getting to the World Series is unlikely.

Maybe it's not the NL guys coming to the AL that makes them bad . Could be they were old or our scouts , GM and talent evaluators in general are bad. Lemahieu's done well since leaving Colorado and coming to the Yankees despite all the fuss about hitting in Colorado. When you deal for fringy type players you get fringy type results.

The argument is maybe they weren't good enough despite the giddyness of getting Grandal.  You can trace the Sox history back to Jake Peavy.  The other factor is how it worked for other teams.   They are not the White Sox.   It just doesn't work for the Sox.   A scout can watch all day and we can look at paper but yet it rarely works.  Even in Vegas setting the odds they look at history.