Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?

ron883

Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying a LHH ar the deadline?

• Strive mightily to buy a LHH
    • Don't buy a LHH at the deadline

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Then Happ is it of the big names because no Benintendi and Orioles/M's not selling anymore.

Has to be a Naquin under the radar type.

Don't necessarily need a big name. Need a good young LH OF with speed and defense and some power. He could hit .200 like Suwinski from the Pirates or Jesus Sanchez from the Marlins as long as he hits some bombs off RHP and is above average with speed and defense . Trouble is bad teams are more likely to keep good young players as they continue to build. Pirates have to trade Reynolds sooner or later and Sox just have to convince them to do it sooner.

2021 Naquin would be good. Might be a prime candidate for a bounce back in the 2nd half.

I'll vote him as most likely to end up on the Sox in the 2nd half. FA in 2023,down year , plays RF although not particularly well . Outside of his rookie year (2016) and 2021 hasn't played much and already 31. Nothing to get excited about. More Hahn type working along the fringes and giving up youth for it . You know they wouldn't take Pollock or Leury for him.

Go big or go home .

9 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

The argument is maybe they weren't good enough despite the giddyness of getting Grandal.  You can trace the Sox history back to Jake Peavy.  The other factor is how it worked for other teams.   They are not the White Sox.   It just doesn't work for the Sox.   A scout can watch all day and we can look at paper but yet it rarely works.  Even in Vegas setting the odds they look at history.  

In your mind, at what stage of one's career (In years or games played) should the Sox scratch a player from their want list for having NL Cooties?

I'm assuming it's somewhere between say Lucas Giolito & Paul Konerko's brief NL start to their career and established veterans like Jake Peavy and Adam Dunn.

Also, is there a cut off when this began? Say Kenny Williams' or Rick Hahn's GM stints?

In my life, I recall several solid to great White Sox who started in the NL:

• Dick Allen (9 Year NL Veteran)
  • Tim Raines (12 Year NL Veteran)
  • Paul Konerko (2 Year NL Veteran)
  • Jim Thome (3 Year NL Veteran after 12 year start in Cleveland)
  • Javier Vazquez (7 Year NL Veteran, 1 Year with NYY in between)
  • Lucas Giolito (1 Year NL Veteran)

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

In your mind, at what stage of one's career (In years or games played) should the Sox scratch a player from their want list for having NL Cooties?

I'm assuming it's somewhere between say Lucas Giolito & Paul Konerko's brief NL start to their career and established veterans like Jake Peavy and Adam Dunn.

Also, is there a cut off when this began? Say Kenny Williams' or Rick Hahn's GM stints?

In my life, I recall several solid to great White Sox who started in the NL:

• Dick Allen (9 Year NL Veteran)
  • Tim Raines (12 Year NL Veteran)
  • Paul Konerko (2 Year NL Veteran)
  • Jim Thome (3 Year NL Veteran after 12 year start in Cleveland)
  • Javier Vazquez (7 Year NL Veteran, 1 Year with NYY in between)
  • Lucas Giolito (1 Year NL Veteran)

"Not a hall of famer", per our great owner Jerry Reinsdorf. 

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

"Not a hall of famer", per our great owner Jerry Reinsdorf. 

Yes, and Jerry's take is among the worst takes in MLB history. 

Also gave us Harold Baines HOF, which by that standard there should be a several hundred players in the HOF.

Career bWAR (Past 50 Years)

• 58.7 Dick Allen (18th All Time among 3B)
  • 39.2 Jake Peavy; Curt Davis
  • 39.1 Carl Crawford; Rico Petrocelli
  • 38.9 Russell Martin; Paul O'Neil
  • 38.8 O-D-O Magglio Ordonez & Harold Baines; (58th/59th All Time Among RF)
  • 38.7 Juan Gonzalez
  • 38.6 Jason Heyward; Kent Hrbek; Anthony Rizzo
  • 38.5 Lonnie Smith; Tim Wallach
  • 38.4 Lorenzo Cain; Kirk Gibson; Charlie Hough

JAWS (Active RFers vs. Baines)

• 52.3 Dick Allen (17th All Time among 3B)
  • 37.5 Jose Bautista
  • 36.5 Nelson Cruz
  • 35.6 Jason Heyward
  • 31.9 Shin-Soo Choo
  • 30.1 Harold Baines (76th All Time among RF)
  • 29.1 Nick Markakis
  • 28.5 J. D. Martinez
  • 28.5 Hunter Pence
  • 28.3 Jayson Werth

chuck-swirsky.jpg

On 7/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, Sarava said:

I'm ok with our catching situation for this year. Seby has been really good filling in lately.

Rick Hahn owes this team a big trade win here. Most of his moves (or lack of moves) the last year or two have been failures. It's time to justify that he deserves to keep his job after this season. Because right now I'm not sure that he does. And I used to be a big fan of his. And honestly, I'm not even sure what he can do, because he has cornered himself with a relatively weak farm system that he has built (or not built).

Whatever he does though, do not trade Montgomery, Colas  or Vera. They can't have nothing in the pipeline. That just doesn't work.

Seby has been good as u say. I'd try my hardest to dump Grandal on somebody. Anyway they could get rid of Grandal for a couple minor league pitchers?

If it isn’t Soto…Kete Marte or Chisholm would still look good. Marte probably more realistic and maybe you do him and than swing Eloy for someone else (if you wanted to retool a bit). 

If they wanted to go cheaper - go acquire Hernandez from the Nats. Older Cuban who is a good hitter, especially vs righties. Not very athletic and minimal upside but solid bat from left side (meh defense at best). Not my preference but a cheap option. His stats have gotten worse each month this year though. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, Chisoxfn said:

If it isn’t Soto…Kete Marte or Chisholm would still look good. Marte probably more realistic and maybe you do him and than swing Eloy for someone else (if you wanted to retool a bit). 

If they wanted to go cheaper - go acquire Hernandez from the Nats. Older Cuban who is a good hitter, especially vs righties. Not very athletic and minimal upside but solid bat from left side (meh defense at best). Not my preference but a cheap option. His stats have gotten worse each month this year though. 

I haven't even brought Ketel Marte up at all because the D'backs extended him through 2027 for 5 yrs. $76M through age 33 season with a team option for another yr. D backs are loaded with LHH in the OF . The young ones are pretty good.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I haven't even brought Ketel Marte up at all because the D'backs extended him through 2027 for 5 yrs. $76M through age 33 season with a team option for another yr. D backs are loaded with LHH in the OF . The young ones are pretty good.

Considering the fact everyone is putting Corbin Carroll and Druw Jones in the 2026 All-Star game already…it’s going to be difficult to live up to those lofty expectations.

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Makes sense why the scout I sat behind at the Dodgers / Giants game last night was taking notes pretty much only on left handed hitting infielders, outfielders, and relievers.

Maybe he's there to scout LaStella? I'm not sure why the Sox would make a trade with the Dodgers. 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Every good position player + starting pitcher on the team could be hurt and Hahn's assessment would still be that bullpen is the biggest need.

We do need a left handed reliever if Bummer is gonna be out till September, but to call that the biggest need is pretty funny. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Wade on the Giants?

Possible too - he was taken out of the game last night before I saw our scout so I don’t know if he was invested in Wade’s play time prior or not.

It was interesting to see him there. Only scout I saw… and when I said hello with my Sox hat on he asked,

”Are you really a Sox fan?” as if I was trying to snoop his observations for another organization or something.

The guy was very guarded. ?