White Sox select Noah Schultz #26

southsider2k5

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The reason I don't love the pick is that the bust rate is massive. Sure, if they hit they get a superstar talent, but guys his size just don't last as starters in the big leagues in general, and high school arms also are a very risky pick. 

The Sox love love love these huge ceiling arms, but with the exception of Sale none of them have really worked out and Sale was much more polished.

I don't disagree with paragraph 1, I'm just much, much more ok with it at 26. Did not want prep arms when we were in the top 15 ever.

And I'm not sure I agree with paragraph 2, I know the acquisition is different but Cease/Kopech are huge ceiling arms, and they were still in A ball. Obviously had shown more than, say, a Kelly at that point. 

I don't really know what to do with the sox ever though. Ideally we create a pitching machine like the indians and draft uber command pitchers and develop velo and stuff into them. But the sox don't have that, but they have some track record, some, of harnessing big stuff at this point.

Not sure where on the spectrum Giolito falls.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's a complicated issue. I will always want the team I root for to go for BPA, at all times, in the MLB Draft. Different for other sports, but I never believe in drafting for a need with MLB. So if the Sox thought he was BPA, I'm for it. 

It becomes more complicated when you don't have faith in the structure of the White Sox and their development plan. If there is an argument to be made that they are more successful with college bats than a high school arm, I can see taking a player that fits that profile more to try and hedge your bet, so to speak. 

I want them to go BPA as well, and like I said I do appreciate the pick. You're right, its very complicated because I don't trust them at all to be able to 1.) Develop this kid and 2.) be worth a shit if/when he does make it to the majors.

At least if they had taken one of those LH college bats we would hopefully see them making an impact in the next year or two and assisting this window.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Also he chose to enter the draft

Imagine how much pressure gets relieved for these high school guys that need to develop?

If a kid goes to Vandy (or any top program) he is immediately in the blender, fighting for opportunity every single step of the way, like his career depends on it.

Now, he gets shipped off to AZ, where he will pitch 50 or so more innings in perfect weather, for crowds smaller than his 15u travel baseball games where the end result is meaningless.  The scoreboard isn't even on.  That has to be super attractive to guys... that and the millions of dollars.

Edited by GREEDY

14 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Imagine how much pressure gets relieved for these high school guys that need to develop?

If a kid goes to Vandy (or any top program) he is immediately in the blender, fighting for opportunity every single step of the way, like his career depends on it.

Now, he gets shipped off to AZ, where he will pitch 50 or so more innings in perfect weather, for crowds smaller than his 15u travel baseball games where the end result is meaningless.  The scoreboard isn't even on.  That has to be super attractive to guys... that and the millions of dollars.

Also, you can go to college at any time. This is a once in a lifetime situation that may never come again.

if someone offered me six figures at 18 years old to focus on baseball im taking it. 99% of these kids in the draft have baseball as their dream goal, not getting a degree to work in an cubicle. They can always go to college if their dream fails, plenty of people do and are fine. The opportunity doesnt disappear after the age of 22. 

10 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I would say college does develop pretty well. That's why the reds stole derek johnson from vandy, and the tigers took michigan's pitching coach. There was a thought, not sure if it's been closed, but that college had begun doing a much better job at player dev than mlb minors were. That was the thought in 2018 at least.

Just now, bmags said:

I would say college does develop pretty well. That's why the reds stole derek johnson from vandy, and the tigers took michigan's pitching coach. There was a thought, not sure if it's been closed, but that college had begun doing a much better job at player dev than mlb minors were. That was the thought in 2018 at least.

They should, being able to recruit a kid and tell them "hey come here and we will get you drafted" is a huge draw.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The reason I don't love the pick is that the bust rate is massive. Sure, if they hit they get a superstar talent, but guys his size just don't last as starters in the big leagues in general, and high school arms also are a very risky pick. 

The Sox love love love these huge ceiling arms, but with the exception of Sale none of them have really worked out and Sale was much more polished.

How many guys his height have been drafted in the first round over the past 10 years or so?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How many guys his height have been drafted in the first round over the past 10 years or so?

i kinda want to see the breakdown of total 6'8 and taller draft picks in general and miss rate.

Sucks but now the rule is we all have to root for Bailey Ober just so we can increase the numerator when we yell at keith law.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are a lot more pitchers over 6'8 (who played in the minors at least) in the past 30 years than I think we really assume; I don't have the full list in front of me, but the rate of success is incredibly low. 

Law said only 3 have thrown over 500 innings in the games history. If we're talking in the first round the sample size is smaller, but I think that dwindles down the list too much to be viable.

Tall pitchers in general have always taken longer to develop. I think Alec Hansen is a lazy but great example of how difficult it is for big guys like that to maintain their delivery and their durability. 

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

They're forcing players to choose between going to college and being a kid, or immediately starting their "pro" career. I'd wager the overwhelming majority of these 17 and 18 year old high school kids lack the maturity to be a "professional" anything. Let alone thrown into an MLB farm system. 

Yes, the higher round picks are well compensated, but how many rounds are there in the MLB draft, again? And from what I understand, that college scholarship program is a negotiated part of their first contract. Meaning, not all players get it? Do we really believe an owner like Reinsdorf is paying for college for ALL of the guys that they draft? Lol, come on.

My statement really wasn't about Noah Schultz. It's a general statement about the MLB's draft policy. 

The MLB is the only sport that works this way, and forces kids to choose college or a pro career immediately. Hell, the NBA won't even let you draft high school kids. I think kids having to make those decisions right out of high school is fucked up. But to each their own.

This is one of the more bizarre takes I've ever seen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

That’s a weird take. MLB is the only sport that gives prep players options to go to college or turn pro. NFL and NBA forces players to go to college. Great players in college basketball turn pro after a year if they think they’re a lottery pick anyways. In facts players have long complained about having to play in college with minimum compensation that now NBA allows prep players to play in the G League for a year and become eligible for draft.

False... NHL allows kids to play wherever they choose until they sign post-draft (3~4 years).

So you'll see incoming NCAA freshmen get drafted, then play NCAA for 2~4 years before signing their entry level contracts.

I don't understand why other sports can't do a "draft and follow" thing.... You'd think that MLB would be all for this, calling "dibs" on players and then letting other non-affiliated teams spend THEIR resources to do the equivalent of rookie ball development.

Would say it's good baseball players have the option between MLB and College, versus the NFL / NBA system play uncompensated and subject to injury for 1-2 or 3 (not sure what the NFL rule is at this point) years in the NCAA before being eligible.

All college athletes (including MLB) can lose their scholarship for any reason, including injuries and performance. They are renewed year to year, at the discretion of the Coach/AD.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I hope TLR is getting his 2 cents in regarding the draft strategy 

I hope they don't listen to a manager trying to win now and get players to restock the farm so this can last longer than a year or so.  Or we will get a ton of reliever types and lance broadway guys.  

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There are a lot more pitchers over 6'8 (who played in the minors at least) in the past 30 years than I think we really assume; I don't have the full list in front of me, but the rate of success is incredibly low. 

Law said only 3 have thrown over 500 innings in the games history. If we're talking in the first round the sample size is smaller, but I think that dwindles down the list too much to be viable.

Tall pitchers in general have always taken longer to develop. I think Alec Hansen is a lazy but great example of how difficult it is for big guys like that to maintain their delivery and their durability. 

I’m not challenging it, but just curious how small of a sample we’re talking about first round talents who happen to be that tall.

• Like 1