2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I want them to get the best player at the best price.  That's their job. I also want the FO to not interfere and let them do their job.

I’m conflicted a bit. I want Mike Shirley making the pick because he’s the best scout in the room. There are a few players I really wouldn’t be happy with though such as Morales and Bradfield. 

I get that the white Sox seem unlikely to make bradfield playable…but he’s also got the most translatable skill. I’d be ok with it. I’m not sure there is a player I despise in this class if selected. Even if they selected Schanuel I’d be like “well at least he’s lefty”.

I get Chase Davis under slot at 15. Not my least favorite option, for the record, that’s Morales. My worry is that Davis is a left fielder who’s power over hit. Sox have done a lot of that type of player both in the draft and internationally. Puts a ton of pressure on the hit tool, and leads to the one-dimensional offenses we’ve seen for 20 years.

I’m not sure I would call Davis one dimensional. Brings a lot tools to the table!

Scouting Report
Bats: L, Throws: L

Davis is one of the most improved players among the college prospects in this class, cutting his strikeout rate from 22.8 percent as a sophomore to 14.4 percent this year as a junior for the Wildcast, while hitting for more power. A good chunk of the improvement came from closing up the whole he’d shown on the inner-third as an underclassman; he still does most of his damage on stuff middle-away, but he doesn’t whiff as much on stuff inside, and if there’s any weakness here, it’s on velocity up. His game power is at least a 60, and he’s a 55 runner who plays center now and should at least begin his pro career out there, with the downside of an above-average defender in right if he can’t stay up the middle. I think he’s at least a regular and has more upside than some of the safer college bats who’ll go before him.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Soxtalk dislike of Yohandy has me thinking he's definitely the guy they should target.  

Reminds me of the “summer of George”. He does everything the opposite of what he normally would and it turns out perfectly. 

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Soxtalk dislike of Yohandy has me thinking he's definitely the guy they should target.  

I don’t think this is fair. It’s just a profile that the organization hasn’t shown the ability to get the most out of. I’ll root for the kid but I wouldn’t bet on him succeeding. Not here. 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think this is fair. It’s just a profile that the organization hasn’t shown the ability to get the most out of. I’ll root for the kid but I wouldn’t bet on him succeeding. Not here. 

It was supposed to be a joke.  Like a Sox pitching prospect I will work on my timing and delivery.  

Obviously most will judge a scouting director by the Major League value brought in by the classes. But I also think there is a big value in bringing in players with your top picks that retain or improve prospect value after drafting.

Basically - one thing I really like about Shirley's classes, with a caveat, is with not great draft positions he's taken two super tooled up profiles that have entered the system and immediately entered top 100 prospect lists or conversations. This mainly by these guys entering the system and showing that their big tools played already while the rest develops. Maybe Colson and Schulz never make it as big leaguers, but if we weren't a trash team, it would be a huge boost to have big trade pieces like this as well. 

I think Crochet could have been an example of this, except the sox raced him up and 2020 was so weird. He showed that top level stuff immediately.

Now I don't want to give too much credit for picks not made, but we were rumored to be watching Patrick Bailey in 2020, and ultimately chose Crochet. But it's still an example I hold in my head. I did not want Bailey, everything read kind of average. Now just 3 years later he's blowing up the league.

It's what I keep in mind with Yohandy. The guy has the looks for this, and Shirley has prioritized "last-look". He obviously finished incredibly hot, and I was reading he really adjusted to different pitching looks in the playoffs. Maybe something clicked.

We do just have a incredible dearth of power in this org. Liike Luis MIeses is now our best power hitter. His K-rate is really above the top of what I'd consider, but who knows. He's not Jeren Kendall thou.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I cant' buy Cherington going pitcher 1-1. 

I get that. There’s just no other way to get a pitcher of that caliber if you’re PGH though. With that being said, I love the Draft Kings odds on Clark and Langford currently….

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I get that. There’s just no other way to get a pitcher of that caliber if you’re PGH though. With that being said, I love the Draft Kings odds on Clark and Langford currently….

Who is Skenes agent? Maybe if he takes a lower slot, but feels like an LSU baseball player has no need to take a discount

Fangraphs 

15. Chicago White Sox
Pick: Chase Dollander, RHP, Tennessee

At some point, Dollander’s fall will come to a stop, and I think it’s most likely to be with a team that seems to care less about fastball shape than others do. The White Sox fit that bill.

1. Pittsburgh Dylan Crews OF LSU
2. Washington Paul Skenes RHP LSU
3. Detroit Wyatt Langford OF Florida
4. Texas Max Clark OF Community HS
5. Minnesota Kyle Teel C Virginia
6. Oakland Rhett Lowder RHP Wake Forest
7. Cincinnati Walker Jenkins OF S Brunswick HS
8. Kansas City Noble Meyer RHP Jesuit HS
9. Colorado Hurston Waldrep RHP Florida
10. Florida Jacob Wilson SS Grand Canyon
11. LA Angels Brayden Taylor 3B TCU
12. Arizona Colin Houck SS Parkview HS
13. Chicago Cubs Blake Mitchell C Sinton HS
14. Boston Chase Dollander RHP Tennessee
15. Chicago WS Yohandy Morales 3B Miami
16. San Francisco Enrique Bradfield OF Vandy
17. Baltimore Aiden Miller 3B JW Mitchel HS
18. Milwaukee Nolan Schanuel 1B Florida Atlantic
19. Tampa Bay Arjun Nimmala SS Strawberry Crest HS
20. Toronto Matt Shaw 2B Maryland
21. St Louis Bryce Eldridge OF James Madison HS
22. Seattle Joe Whitman LHP Kent St
23. Cleveland Colt Emerson SS John Glenn HS
24. Atlanta Thomas White LHP Phillips Academy
25. San Diego Sammy Stafura SS Walter Panas HS
26. NY Yankees George Lombard SS Gulliver Prep HS
27. Philadelphia Jacob Gonzalez SS Ole Miss
28. Houston Chase Davis OF Arizona
29. Seattle Kevin McGonigale SS Monsignor HS
30. Seattle Charlee Soto RHP Reborn HS

31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Houck or Miller please. Chase Davis if we are trying to save money to allocate to later picks.

With you on Houck just don't think he gets to them.  I'm not on Miller or Davis.  Miller likely ends up at 1B and Davis has a jacked up swing. Of all the underslot college hitters I think Morales gives them the best bang for their buck.  

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I am fine with a whole bunch of guys including Bradfield and Dollander. Morales scares me with our hitting development. Also righty corners are not a glaring need.

power is a huge huge glaring need thou.