2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox need to target high-end upside in round 2.  My biggest beef with the Gonzalez pick is a lack of ceiling.  Outside of Montgomery, I’m not sure there is a single prospect in the system with “star” potential on the positional side and Jacob doesn’t change that calculus.  And that’s highly problematic when your owner is unwilling to buy stars in free agency.

It’s gonna be wolters. 

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

I don't necessarily have anything against Gonzalez being the pick (though the speed is a bit boggling), I just moreso had hope for Teel after he had gotten so close to being available.

I know nothing about these kids, I'm just so jaded that I can't help but feel Hahn drafted a left handed Nick Madrigal and will fast track him to fill a need.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I know nothing about these kids, I'm just so jaded that I can't help but feel Hahn drafted a left handed Nick Madrigal and will fast track him to fill a need.

Teel would have went a LONG way towards fixing the gaping whole in the organization at C, and for Boston to yank him right before us, is a gut punch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox need to target high-end upside in round 2.  My biggest beef with the Gonzalez pick is a lack of ceiling.  Outside of Montgomery, I’m not sure there is a single prospect in the system with “star” potential on the positional side and Jacob doesn’t change that calculus.  And that’s highly problematic when your owner is unwilling to buy stars in free agency.

Someone said at this point Hahn is hijacking the thing and the whole concept is short term thinking for self preservation with high floor low ceiling guys that they can move up to the big club fairly quickly on the cheap.

Makes sense....RH can tell JR "Hey look yeah the rebuild failed but I am ok with only 130-140m payrolls the next few years and we can still be a semi competitive club to keep the stands relatively full in a s%*# division with a bunch of average MLB regular picks, so can I keep my job?"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He hit forty home runs in college and is a 6’2 former QB who can carry his weight. 

Come on now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Except he's 6'2 with 55 grade power and a 55 grade arm. So, basically nothing like Nick Madrigal whatsoever. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Teel would have went a LONG way towards fixing the gaping whole in the organization at C, and for Boston to yank him right before us, is a gut punch.

Counterpoint: Last time the Red Sox blocked the White Sox was Benintendi, so that means we'll sign him in 8 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1