2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

With the ability for colleges with big baseball programs, to now delve into NLI matters, you'd have to be crazy at round 6+, as a High School kid, to even go straight to professional baseball....that is assuming you have a big program offer.

Just now, Capn12 said:

With the ability for colleges with big baseball programs, to now delve into NLI matters, you'd have to be crazy at round 6+, as a High School kid, to even go straight to professional baseball....that is assuming you have a big program offer.

Are baseball players getting crazy NIL deals? I only ever hear about football.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

At bigger programs, absolutely. I know here (South Carolina) has quite a few players on multiple NLI deals.

29 minutes ago, T R U said:

From what I just read, it sounds like players at larger programs could be looking at $50k to $100k per year.  So meaningful if you’re past the first few rounds, but also not life-changing money completely impossible to pass up.

Baseball America on Calvin Harris (#167):

Ht: 6'0" | Wt: 205 | B-T: L-R

School: Mississippi Source: 4YR

Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted 
Age At Draft: 21.7 
BA Grade:40/High
Tools:Hit: 45. Power: 45. Run: 40. Field: 55. Arm: 50. 

Harris showed impressive defensive skills out of high school, when he ranked as the No. 287 prospect in the 2020 class, but after making it to campus at Mississippi hasn’t been able to showcase his catching much at all. Royals second-rounder Hayden Dunhurst was the team’s primary catcher in 2021 and 2022, leaving Harris to catch in a part-time role and play the corner outfield. He moved into the everyday catching role in 2023 and hit above .300 for the second straight season, with a .321/.398/.579 slash line and a career-high 12 home runs. Harris has shown solid home run power from gap-to-gap and managed a 90 mph average exit velocity this spring. He will expand the zone a bit, but has solid overall contact skills, particularly against fastballs. Harris has a chance to be a solid receiver, with quiet and strong hands behind the plate. He does a nice job presenting balls on the edges of the strike zone, and employs a one-knee setup. He also has a strong and accurate arm—though he has previously had UCL surgery—that is much better than his 11.3% caught stealing rate (7-for-62) would suggest, with many runners stealing off pitchers who took their time to the plate.