2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

Wolkow being 17 makes for an interesting case study. A lot of orgs struggle developing younger guys, which explains why the draft keeps getting more college heavy. I wonder if, as the minor leagues shrink, you may see a system develops similar to hockey in which you draft guys but the play 2-3 years in college anyway OR if baseball takes a page from soccer and starts fielding teams that are all 19U. Complex leagues can be useful, but I think nothing helps development more than actual competition and the minors don't really provide that.

Wolkow would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't reclassify.  He is the closest thing the Sox will ever get to a top J2 guy imo.   They need to not waste this chance and develop him fully.  

He is the best pick of the Sox draft imo.  Definitely the highest ceiling, the perfect type of player they should have drafted 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

According to Shirley, the Sox had some guys in the organization who wanted to take Calvin Harris in the 2nd.

There is literally nothing more meaningless than these types of statements after a draft. Every team makes them in every sport.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:28 AM, bmags said:

Yeah, not sure there is a bigger indictment of Hahn to his PD staff than that they have felt a need to get hitters who didn't need to have their approach built out.

But problem isn't necessarily strength to me, it's his ichiro finish. Changing a swing on the sox requires Burger's wife.

His defense is weird because it's one of those things where basically everyone seems surprised its as good as it is considering his difficulty getting going to top speed. But he did hold the SS position down for Team USA, and Law did write he can see him sticking. It's a shame for him he didn't go to the Cardinals, a team that could make a similar profile like DeJong play plus defense at short.

It's funny because I actually think it does these players no favors going to the sox. They need some support in getting that extra 5% and can rely too much on what has worked. Compare that to a Colson Montgomery who knew they needed to add stuff (while still needing to do it 100% themselves)

I just can’t ever get out of my head that the Sox developed Marcus Semien, whose only flaw was that he had no position, and he turned into a gold glove SS and got 40% better as a hitter within 12 months of getting traded.

Whatever Gonzalez and Montgomery turn into, and I’m confident they’ll be good players, it’s almost certain they’d be so much better anywhere else and it’s so sad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Wolkow would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't reclassify.  He is the closest thing the Sox will ever get to a top J2 guy imo.   They need to not waste this chance and develop him fully.  

He is the best pick of the Sox draft imo.  Definitely the highest ceiling, the perfect type of player they should have drafted 

Maybe.  Or maybe he continues to struggle and plummets.  There have been tons of guys over the years that looked like first round picks the year before their draft but had their stock tank and ended up nowhere near the first round.  He’s a great 7th round and worth the gamble though.

37 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just can’t ever get out of my head that the Sox developed Marcus Semien, whose only flaw was that he had no position, and he turned into a gold glove SS and got 40% better as a hitter within 12 months of getting traded.

Whatever Gonzalez and Montgomery turn into, and I’m confident they’ll be good players, it’s almost certain they’d be so much better anywhere else and it’s so sad. 

Imagining the soon to be broken up team with a different player development department makes me sad.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don't even know. I feel like montgomery emerges, or TA emerges, and have overcome so much adversity in this system to get their they were that special player who just hits their 100th percentile.

But why this org fails is it can't turn guys like Sosa into anything remotely passable because they come up with average defense, they have no approach and are just eaten up and spit out as not good enough.

• Like 2

Number 479 on the ba500

Nishida is an outlier in many ways in the 2023 draft class. It starts with his physique, which is one of the smallest in the class—high school or college—at just 5-foot-6, 150 pounds. Next is his setup at the plate, where he starts with an extremely open stance before taking a large leg kick to get back toward an even setup. He’s very active in the box and will constantly shuffle his feet and move back toward the catcher or further up in the box toward the pitcher in the middle of a delivery. Despite all the moving parts, Nishida has excellent pure bat-to-ball skills and struck out at just an 8.7% rate through 63 games, while slashing .312/.394/.443. His overall miss rate was just 16%. Nishida has 20-grade raw power and will be more likely to bunt for a hit than hit a ball over the fence in pro ball. He is an expert at bunting, and has plus speed that could allow a slap-and-dash approach to be viable when paired with his contact ability. He’s an aggressive base runner who went 25-for-33 (75.8%) in stolen base attempts this spring and scouts praise both his defensive ability at second base and his overall instincts on the diamond. The list of successful big leaguers at Nishida’s size is exceedingly small, and because of that he faces an uphill battle and is unlikely to command anything greater than day three draft stock.

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Why do I love atypical profiles for baseball players? Boy do I want him to succeed.

Kind of agree. I'm sure he won't because it's the Sox, but fun to have a unique guy in the system

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

Number 479 on the ba500

Nishida is an outlier in many ways in the 2023 draft class. It starts with his physique, which is one of the smallest in the class—high school or college—at just 5-foot-6, 150 pounds. Next is his setup at the plate, where he starts with an extremely open stance before taking a large leg kick to get back toward an even setup. He’s very active in the box and will constantly shuffle his feet and move back toward the catcher or further up in the box toward the pitcher in the middle of a delivery. Despite all the moving parts, Nishida has excellent pure bat-to-ball skills and struck out at just an 8.7% rate through 63 games, while slashing .312/.394/.443. His overall miss rate was just 16%. Nishida has 20-grade raw power and will be more likely to bunt for a hit than hit a ball over the fence in pro ball. He is an expert at bunting, and has plus speed that could allow a slap-and-dash approach to be viable when paired with his contact ability. He’s an aggressive base runner who went 25-for-33 (75.8%) in stolen base attempts this spring and scouts praise both his defensive ability at second base and his overall instincts on the diamond. The list of successful big leaguers at Nishida’s size is exceedingly small, and because of that he faces an uphill battle and is unlikely to command anything greater than day three draft stock.

Joe Doyle has him at #350 fwiw: https://futurestarsseries.com/2023-mlb-draft-the-top-614-prospects-dylan-crews-max-clark-paul-skenes/

• Like 1