2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

56 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Taylor was a reach and he signs for full slot.
Gonzalez was picked around where projected, and he goes way underslot.
Weird.

Baseball draft is all about leverage. Taylor was a draft-eligible sophomore, meaning if he didn’t get a number, he could go back to LSU next year. Gonzalez was a Junior. If he didn’t sign, he’d be lowballed next year as a senior.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Baseball draft is all about leverage. Taylor was a draft-eligible sophomore, meaning if he didn’t get a number, he could go back to LSU next year. Gonzalez was a Junior. If he didn’t sign, he’d be lowballed next year as a senior.

I feel real dumb because when I initially saw they drafted him on the draft tracker, I saw 4YR-SO and my brain just saw "4YR-S_"

I thought we punted with a senior as our #2 pick for savings. Getting a sophomore (who is apparently talented, just coming off injury) to sign for slot value instead of returning to LSU (where he could possibly up his value) seems like a pretty sound gamble from both sides.

31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think I'm the only one that likes the Keener pick.

I love that pick. Quick mover who can start. Bargain at that price IMO. This bonus leaves the Sox right around $1.6 million to play with. George Wolkow is signing officially tomorrow. He's in Kannapolis. I'm guessing he's getting close to $1 million. Gordon is probably $150-$200K. $10K or so for Franklin. That would allow them to do like $250K each for Nishida and LaCombe if they need to as well. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I love that pick. Quick mover who can start. Bargain at that price IMO. This bonus leaves the Sox right around $1.6 million to play with. George Wolkow is signing officially tomorrow. He's in Kannapolis. I'm guessing he's getting close to $1 million. Gordon is probably $150-$200K. $10K or so for Franklin. That would allow them to do like $250K each for Nishida and LaCombe if they need to as well. 

Why is he in Kanny?  Just working out?