2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Wolkow is practically an international signing - $1 million, 17 years old. Gonna take a lot of development and may never get out of complex league, but I think it's an interesting upside play. Will be fascinating regardless of outcome.

Didn't James say he's in Kannapolis?

Which feels wild. It'd be exciting if he succeeds, but would be wild.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Didn't James say he's in Kannapolis?

Which feels wild. It'd be exciting if he succeeds, but would be wild.

He did. Maybe they're hosting a rookie mini-camp there. They have done that in previous years at Birmingham.  There's no way he starts his career in A ball.

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He's in Kannapolis because that's where everyone is going to sign. My bad, guys. He'll be in ACL 

Oh is this like that Birmingham camp they had last year? Guess they rotate

Wolkow is 17 and hit most of these balls over 100 mph, including one at 109.9, with a wood bat. Nice short swing, too. He’s gonna be a monster if he can work out the swing and miss issues.

Edited by almagest

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Right now, the White Sox are around $8.9 million spent. They can go to like $9.5 million. They've spent over every year but may not utilize it this season very much. Still need bonus for Lucas Gordon and Franklin plus any overages on day 3. 

Not leveraging the full potential spend is pretty frustrating.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Lucas Gordon is getting $300K. That puts the White Sox at $9,207,800 before the totals for Franklin, LaCombe and any other overages on day three. They can go to $9,526,000. They won't do that but they're definitely over the pool. 

Franklin got $10k so Lacombe is the only wild card and it’s doubtful he gets anything too crazy if Nishada only got $170k.

I'm not that perturbed at the whether they go over or not. The cost for HS talent may be increasing, not sure what the breakdown was this year. The depth of this class was college position players, and I don't think they chose Gonzalez from a budget perspective. There was a ton of top 100 high school talent that didn't sign, maybe they had their eye on one and it didn't work out. Nonetheless, we've seen that even going over can come with lots of budget cuts on individual picks. I like that this is a pretty well-rounded class. 

• Like 1