2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

Hopefully its not a "Were having a bad season but we can rebound next season with these guys, lets see how quickly we can get some college players up to help in the next year or two" type of draft.

Drafting a guy who just had TJS and a guy who needs to be converted from a reliever don't sound like that.

• Like 2

brooks boyer losing his damn mind at a calvin harris/kaskade double header

Harris showed impressive defensive skills out of high school, when he ranked as the No. 287 prospect in the 2020 class, but after making it to campus at Mississippi hasn’t been able to showcase his catching much at all. Royals second-rounder Hayden Dunhurst was the team’s primary catcher in 2021 and 2022, leaving Harris to catch in a part-time role and play the corner outfield. He moved into the everyday catching role in 2023 and hit above .300 for the second straight season, with a .321/.398/.579 slash line and a career-high 12 home runs. Harris has shown solid home run power from gap-to-gap and managed a 90 mph average exit velocity this spring. He will expand the zone a bit, but has solid overall contact skills, particularly against fastballs. Harris has a chance to be a solid receiver, with quiet and strong hands behind the plate. He does a nice job presenting balls on the edges of the strike zone, and employs a one-knee setup. He also has a strong and accurate arm—though he has previously had UCL surgery—that is much better than his 11.3% caught stealing rate (7-for-62) would suggest, with many runners stealing off pitchers who took their time to the plate.

via ba

Maui Ahuna just went to San Fran, who definitely owns the most vicious scouting reports of the draft. 

Keith Law's:

Ahuna transferred from Kansas to Tennessee for this spring, perhaps hoping to improve his stock by competing in the SEC, but his offensive production fell off across the board, including a jump to a nearly 30 percent strikeout rate and a 54-point drop in his OBP. He’s always had trouble with good offspeed stuff but he didn’t even hit quality fastballs this spring. The native of Hilo, Hawaii, has a busy approach at the plate with a big leg kick, long stride and an abrupt move back with his hands to start his swing, any or all of which could be affecting his timing at the plate and certainly isn’t helping him get to velocity. A left-handed hitter, he was particularly bad against lefties this year, punching out nearly 40 percent of the time he faced them.

keep in mind he's still ranked a strong 63

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely worried that in a draft loaded with prep talent and with a scouting director who loves prep talent, we’re going all in on college players.  I get it’s not that simple and you got to go with how the board shakes out, but two straight college pitchers taken well above consensus of the major publications (I know they aren’t perfect) worries me of Hahn over-involvement.

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Hahn drafting for need.  Desperation to make up for the lack of upper minors talent before they start cutting costs this winter.

16 minutes ago, T R U said:

Hopefully its not a "Were having a bad season but we can rebound next season with these guys, lets see how quickly we can get some college players up to help in the next year or two" type of draft.

10000% this.

Rebuild failed. JR/limited partners unwilling to keep spending when they didn't get dick in terms of ROI, so the pursestrings are shut and we need to fill short term holes with high floor low ceiling players who can contribute in OK but unspectacular fashion relatively quickly. 

Focus is entirely on short term, self preservation and getting a .500-ish product that will keep people semi interested and watching despite a low payroll to keep ownership profiting. If RH can do that, he can keep cashing checks and string his gig out some more. 

• Thanks 1

That review seems pretty fine to me? He is a fourth round pick. A left-handed catcher who has a compact stroke with real power but ground balls eat into it, and who is still developing as a catcher after sitting behind one of the top ones in baseball his first two years. 

• Like 2

Just now, bmags said:

That review seems pretty fine to me? He is a fourth round pick. A left-handed catcher who has a compact stroke with real power but ground balls eat into it, and who is still developing as a catcher after sitting behind one of the top ones in baseball his first two years. 

Yeah the BA review was actually fine. I dont have an issue with the pick at all....apart from the fact that we're trying to draft the whole Ole Miss team apparently.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Hahn drafting for need.  Desperation to make up for the lack of upper minors talent before they start cutting costs this winter.

Hahn probably had some influence at pick #15 but GM's arent making these picks anymore. The scouting report is taking the guys who they think are best in each spot who also fit into the bonus pool. White Sox should have some extra $$ to play with. 

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Drafting a guy who just had TJS and a guy who needs to be converted from a reliever don't sound like that.

Right, I didn't expect them to be up next season but more so sacrificing long term potential to try and hurry advanced players up to the big league team.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm with you. No problems with the pick.

I missed that Keith law was the high man on Seth Keener, at 97 just a few spots past Grant Taylor

Scouting Report
Bats: R, Throws: R

Keener has bounced between the bullpen and the rotation for the Deacs, dominating George Mason in the regionals for his best outing of the season before a tough outing against LSU in Omaha. He’s 95-96 mph in relief and more 92-95 mph as a starter, but in either role he will show a 55 changeup and a 50-55 slider, missing bats with both pitches all season. It’s a rough delivery between a long arm action and very abrupt finish, but to his credit he throws a ton of strikes anyway, and I assume someone will send him out as a starter with bulk guy a more likely MLB role for him.