2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

Just looking at the money, picks 6, 8 and 10 were punted:  that's a slot value of $684,900. If I just knock of 100K to pay those 3 picks (pretty conservative as they are all 4 year players) that leaves $584,900.   In addition, it seems to me that picks 2 and 3 are prime for under-slot.  Harris is a small overslot.  Everyone else seems about right.
Wolkow's slot at 7 is $248,300.  That plus the $584,900  = $833,200 which is about the slot for pick 84; that sum I would think is more than enough to please Wolkow.
It looks like they might have some funds left over if Wolkow signs for less and #2 and #3 go underslot; not sure who in 11-20 would need overslot to sign; maybe some of the JC guys.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Just looking at the money, picks 6, 8 and 10 were punted:  that's a slot value of $684,900. If I just knock of 100K to pay those 3 picks (pretty conservative as they are all 4 year players) that leaves $584,900.   In addition, it seems to me that picks 2 and 3 are prime for under-slot.  Harris is a small overslot.  Everyone else seems about right.
Wolkow's slot at 7 is $248,300.  That plus the $584,900  = $833,200 which is about the slot for pick 84; that sum I would think is more than enough to please Wolkow.
It looks like they might have some funds left over if Wolkow signs for less and #2 and #3 go underslot; not sure who in 11-20 would need overslot to sign; maybe some of the JC guys.

I think Gonzalez might be underslot because Teel supposedly is. Even if it’s like $4.2 million, I’m guessing Taylor is in $1-$1.3 range and Keeler is like 800-900K. Wolkow should be around $1.2 million as well. That’s pretty close to their pool. 

• Like 1

A snippet from Keith Law:

Wake Forest righty Seth Keener (3) moved to the Deacons’ rotation as the spring went on, showing three average pitches with the changeup as his best weapon, and throwing a ton of strikes despite a rough delivery that has some effort to it. I know scouts who see him as a potential starter long-term, but I’d bet on a bulk role or a short relief role. Catcher Calvin Harris (4) doesn’t throw well for the position but has power from the left side and can receive well enough to stay back there. He’s more likely a backup than a regular, but in the fourth round, even getting a guy to the major leagues is what you came for. Lefty Christian Oppor (5) was a draft-and-follow last year for Oakland, but declined to sign with them after his velocity jumped to 95-98 mp this spring, with huge life on the pitch. He has a slider and changeup but both are a work in progress. I love this kind of shot at upside in a round this late. Texas lefty Lucas Gordon (6) was 90-92 early but slid to 88-90 later in the year, with a solid-average to 55 changeup and a fringy upper-70s curveball. It’s funny that the White Sox took him, because when I saw him in February I wrote in my notebook: “6-1, looks smaller, Jim Parque build.”

Gonzalez was as you'd expect, solid across the board, no plus tool. Though: "I could see him getting to Double A quickly, and I do think he stays at shortstop long term."

https://theathletic.com/4681470/2023/07/12/mlb-draft-2023-american-league-report/

Here's the deal with George.  He's 17 years old with 70 raw power.  That should light the models on fire.  I mean they should be making a mess on themselves.  But it didn't.  That's how bad his batted ball data is.  Most young hitters swing and miss at something. Velocity, fastballs up, breaking balls out of the zone but not George.  He swings and misses at everything.  Fastballs in the zone, fastballs out of the zone, breaking stuff in the zone, breaking stuff out of the zone, velocity, soft tossers.  He doesn't discriminate.  Obviously he has time to get better (some say his age is his best tool) and hopefully they can make a mechanical or approach adjustment or simply reps to help him to at least occaisionally get to that masssive power.  I do hope they give him the time he needs because it's going to be a long process as he has other holes in his game but he is a worker and a nice kid so I hope it works out for him.  

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Here's the deal with George.  He's 17 years old with 70 raw power.  That should light the models on fire.  I mean they should be making a mess on themselves.  But it didn't.  That's how bad his batted ball data is.  Most young hitters swing and miss at something. Velocity, fastballs up, breaking balls out of the zone but not George.  He swings and misses at everything.  Fastballs in the zone, fastballs out of the zone, breaking stuff in the zone, breaking stuff out of the zone, velocity, soft tossers.  He doesn't discriminate.  Obviously he has time to get better (some say his age is his best tool) and hopefully they can make a mechanical or approach adjustment or simply reps to help him to at least occaisionally get to that masssive power.  I do hope they give him the time he needs because it's going to be a long process as he has other holes in his game but he is a worker and a nice kid so I hope it works out for him.  

I think he's going to be popular because he's local (everyone in organized baseball around here would talk about him), but the big thing is suddenly these really tall players went from one single anecdote to multiple. Add to that he's young. Add to that, just less reps in the midwest. 

Unfortunately the sox drafted him, and his hamstrings will likely rip in half soon.

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Keep drafting those low ceiling college guys.  Dumbasses

thank god that's updated, hahn puffed his chest out a lot when the 2010-2020 looked so favorable on the sox because of Anderson/Sale/Semien.

Going into a tear it down rebuild and picking hostetler to give the top ten picks to...woof.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It seems like Calvin Harris, Christian Oppor and George Wolkow will all be overslot signings and Seth Keener might be as well. I’m also expecting Nishida and LaCombe to receive more than $150K. 

Keener looked somewhat like a reach and also a possible reliever. 

Keener was 97 in Law's rankings, 108 in mlb pipeline, he was drafted 87th or something. Of the 500 or so prospects they rank they accurately pegged that guy around the back of the 3rd round and the sox picked him middle of the third. Not really a huge reach there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Keener was 97 in Law's rankings, 108 in mlb pipeline, he was drafted 87th or something. Of the 500 or so prospects they rank they accurately pegged that guy around the back of the 3rd round and the sox picked him middle of the third. Not really a huge reach there.

And Baseball America had him ranked 131.  I’m not suggesting he’s a big under-slot guy (and again I really have no idea), but I think that’s more likely him being an over-slot guy.