Benetti adding to his resume

southsider2k5

12 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

Hmmm

This is weird timing just coming off of what happened with Eddie O.

For the record, I always had the impression this was Jason's dream job, so I wouldn't imagine him leaving, but he sure as hell has the leverage.  Steve Stone, not so much.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is weird timing just coming off of what happened with Eddie O.

For the record, I always had the impression this was Jason's dream job, so I wouldn't imagine him leaving, but he sure as hell has the leverage.  Steve Stone, not so much.

Hopefully the level to which Jason is in demand for national gigs around the country isn't lost on management.  They would be foolish to let him get away.  But with the willingness and frequency they put milquetoast Len Kasper or god awful Gordon Beckham on the broadcast tells me they aren't overly worried about maintaining a high quality product.

• 4 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/3457551/2022/08/01/jason-benetti-fox-espn/?source=twitterpcads&ad_id=37084642&twclid=214cogvudsvg8ta4zx1375bt4g

Benetti has not officially signed a new contract with the White Sox that extends beyond this year but said he feels confident he’ll be with the team for some time. (The White Sox were kept abreast of Benetti’s negotiations with Fox.)

On 7/29/2022 at 10:47 AM, Tnetennba said:

Hopefully the level to which Jason is in demand for national gigs around the country isn't lost on management.  They would be foolish to let him get away.  But with the willingness and frequency they put milquetoast Len Kasper or god awful Gordon Beckham on the broadcast tells me they aren't overly worried about maintaining a high quality product.

They care, I can say that with knowledge since I've been a friend to Bob Grim for years. (Bob was the Director of Broadcast Operations who retired last year) but once again "loyalty" matters over quality.

Ed Farmer was exceptional as an analyst, he and John Rooney were an outstanding broadcast team and it was uncanny how often Ed predicted things in a game which came to pass. But as a play by play guy (and I should know being one myself) he was pretty bad, yet the Sox kept him in that spot until he passed away.

Same thing with Hawk. The last few years he was a shell of himself (go to you tube and find the games he did with Don Drysdale in the 80's for the Sox, he was terrific). The constant bating of umpires, the silent minutes when he was pissed off, that's not good broadcasting. Yet he was allowed to stay until he decided to leave.

• Hawk 1

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They care, I can say that with knowledge since I've been a friend to Bob Grim for years. (Bob was the Director of Broadcast Operations who retired last year) but once again "loyalty" matters over quality.

Ed Farmer was exceptional as an analyst, he and John Rooney were an outstanding broadcast team and it was uncanny how often Ed predicted things in a game which came to pass. But as a play by play guy (and I should know being one myself) he was pretty bad, yet the Sox kept him in that spot until he passed away.

Same thing with Hawk. The last few years he was a shell of himself (go to you tube and find the games he did with Don Drysdale in the 80's for the Sox, he was terrific). The constant bating of umpires, the silent minutes when he was pissed off, that's not good broadcasting. Yet he was allowed to stay until he decided to leave.

Huh.

It's almost as if this organization tolerates mediocrity in its public-facing product out of some sense of loyalty.

I hope it doesn't bleed over to the on-field product. That would be a shame.

• TLR 1