Fire Rick Hahn

That said there has been a lot of times where I thought a job was extremely unattractive and they still got top talent because there are only 30 jobs and it can be very tough to time correctly if you are in line for a GM role.

Also want to correct - when I said top international talent I meant to clarify that was about the 16 year olds in the LatAm pipeline. They clearly feel more comfortable with older players as seen by success of Abreu/Robert.

Just now, bmags said:

That said there has been a lot of times where I thought a job was extremely unattractive and they still got top talent because there are only 30 jobs and it can be very tough to time correctly if you are in line for a GM role.

Also want to correct - when I said top international talent I meant to clarify that was about the 16 year olds in the LatAm pipeline. They clearly feel more comfortable with older players as seen by success of Abreu/Robert.

The other thing about it is generally the only GM jobs available are the least attractive ones. The good ones are already filled with competent people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T R U said:

The other thing about it is generally the only GM jobs available are the least attractive ones. The good ones are already filled with competent people.

You're right the good GM jobs aren't available, because they are already filled by the best GM's.

However the key ideally here is for Sox to create a new opening for their new Pres or Exec VP of baseball operations. Then a talented guy like Mike Chernoff for example, would consider leaving his GM job for a bigger title and responsibility, along with a big raise. Then the new Pres could go hire his own GM and other FO people from outside the Sox organization.

• Like 2

David Stearns has had a year to live a normal life and didn't yet go running to the mets. Granted, his contract ends after this year and he probably runs to the mets.

But on the other hand, by all accounts (a quick google search) he has a beautiful home on Milwaukee's east side. You can't just buy that in new york, no way. So I'd point out that Hawk Harrelson probably commuted farther while calling games as an 80 something year old who couldn't see. 

Those are things I'd do if I was a rich person who owned a baseball team that wanted it to be a winning team more than I wanted to pay people a salary to be my friend. That's what butlers are for.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I'd point out that Hawk Harrelson probably commuted farther while calling games as an 80 something year old who couldn't see. 

Did Windy City Limos drive him to/from games and ambassador events at the stadium his final few years, or did he handle it himself?

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Did Windy City Limos drive him to/from games and ambassador events at the stadium his final few years, or did he handle it himself?

We can offer that to David.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I'm sorry but I totally disagree. Hahn doesn't deserve any credit. Baseball is a a unique sport and different from baseball or football. In those sports you can draft players and often they can make an impact right away. Baseball is completely different and no matter how much potential a baseball prospect has, it's takes several years to see that finished product at the major league level. Hahn convinced and fooled everyone that he handled the 2016 rebuild correctly, through all his wonderful and powerful trades and draft picks. Yet in the end, the trades and draft picks were a complete bust and trainwreck.

I'm sorry, but Hahn doesn't get brownie points for getting the Sox close in 2020/2021. He especially doesn't get credit when he arrogantly told the media and fans...to talk to him at the parade. 

Keep in mind, Hahn is the one that was adamant to tear it all down and do a complete rebuild, which according to many sources, was not what Jerry or Kenny wanted to do. As a result, if Hahn stomped his feet loud enough to get his way...then he damn well should have backed it up and finished the job to a WS championship or at least sniffing the World Series.

So who gets credit for getting the team close?

Also, please note that he got the team 70% there. That's not good enough and is a failure, so I don't want you to get the idea that I'm giving him a pass.

My point is that he took a shitty system, tore it down to the studs, and got the team temporarily into respectability.

If he doesn't get credit for that, who does?

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

So who gets credit for getting the team close?

Also, please note that he got the team 70% there. That's not good enough and is a failure, so I don't want you to get the idea that I'm giving him a pass.

My point is that he took a shitty system, tore it down to the studs, and got the team temporarily into respectability.

If he doesn't get credit for that, who does?

How about nobody! The rebuild was a complete failure. How can you possibly give Hahn credit for failing miserably at his job. There is no, "Hey we got close and 70% there."

That would be like a sales rep badly missing his quota for the month, quarter or year and he tells his sales manager, hey, but I came close to those several deals I lost.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

David Stearns has had a year to live a normal life and didn't yet go running to the mets. Granted, his contract ends after this year and he probably runs to the mets.

But on the other hand, by all accounts (a quick google search) he has a beautiful home on Milwaukee's east side. You can't just buy that in new york, no way. So I'd point out that Hawk Harrelson probably commuted farther while calling games as an 80 something year old who couldn't see. 

Those are things I'd do if I was a rich person who owned a baseball team that wanted it to be a winning team more than I wanted to pay people a salary to be my friend. That's what butlers are for.

I would be fine if David Stearns was the new Sox pres of baseball ops. He is one of a few young modern GM's that understands building a strong farm system and major league roster. 

• Like 1

I’m not buying that KW is taking the lead here. If he was, he’d be talking to a lot of teams and it would leak IMO. Besides, Hahn has been hiding behind decisions being collective. They all have to go. Trade the free agents to be. Leave the others to someone who may be competent. 

it just amazes me no one has lost their job yet. It’s beyond crazy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m not buying that KW is taking the lead here. If he was, he’d be talking to a lot of teams and it would leak IMO. Besides, Hahn has been hiding behind decisions being collective. They all have to go. Trade the free agents to be. Leave the others to someone who may be competent. 

When was the last time JR fired someone in mid season? Gene Lamont in May of 95?????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

John MacBeth Paxson makes Kenny Williams (36 years of service) look like “the new kid in town”.

• Player October 29, 1985 - August 22, 1994
  • Bulls Announcer August 22, 1994 - August 29, 1995
  • Assistant Coach August 29, 1995 - August 29, 1996
  • Bulls Announcer August 29, 1996 - April 14, 2003
  • General Manager April 14, 2003 - May 21, 2009
  • Vice President of Basketball Operations May 21, 2009 - April 13, 2020
  • Senior Advisor, Basketball Operations April 13, 2020 - Current

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

How about nobody! The rebuild was a complete failure. How can you possibly give Hahn credit for failing miserably at his job. There is no, "Hey we got close and 70% there."

That would be like a sales rep badly missing his quota for the month, quarter or year and he tells his sales manager, hey, but I came close to those several deals I lost.

Giving credit for a shitty job done = holding them accountable and making sure they know they failed.

70% done is an F in the baseball industry.

“Credit” can be good or bad. In this case, it is bad, because the result was only 70% successful.

• Love 1

59 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Giving credit for a shitty job done = holding them accountable and making sure they know they failed.

70% done is an F in the baseball industry.

“Credit” can be good or bad. In this case, it is bad, because the result was only 70% successful.

Especially starting out in THIS division with Sale Q Eaton Rodon (result of 2013 disaster season) and the group sent to the Yankees to kick things off as the rebuild started officially.  Let's also not forget already having a stud in Abreu and future near star in Tim Anderson!

Ofc, we dubious ended up the competing/retooling middle third of the 2010s by accidentally trading away Tatis after previously giving up on Semien and Bassitt before they even had an opportunity to establish themselves.

Great job, Hahn!

At least you failed to double down with an extension for Shark...?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 8/3/2022 at 7:37 AM, maloney.adam said:

man, i kinda forgot how ridiculous it was that our trade deadline last year netted us just diekman lol. And all the huffing and puffing from Hahn.

I love how they are probably this season sitting back like "Well we put it on the players to prove themselves and they didn't!" just acting completely removed from the failure.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

serious question: do you guys think Hahn even believes in himself anymore? I would guess these last few weeks have taken any last remaining wind out of his sails 

That's an interesting question he's got to know in his heart of hearts that he has failed as a G.M. The question is will he ever admit it to the media/fan base?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

serious question: do you guys think Hahn even believes in himself anymore? I would guess these last few weeks have taken any last remaining wind out of his sails 

Although he will never admit it to the media and fans, I believe he probably does question his abilities. TBH though, I am think there is a lot of rationalization on his part for this debacle, where he blames the players for not performing better, because in Hahn's delusional mind, he feels he made the right trades, draft picks and free agent signings.

More importantly, he is probably questioning and having nightmares thinking about, "How in the hell will I ever get another gig like this after I'm fired?"

• Fire 1