Trade Rumors Catch-all

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think those two are the minimum and I’d expect another top 10 prospect would be required to even get their attention.  I’m one of the higher guys here on Colas (I think he’s a legit top 100 prospect already with top 40 upside), but I think him & Colson are a pretty attractive pair of headliners.  Other teams could beat it, but most clubs are hesitant to trade legit blue chip prospects.

Usually for good reason - cost controlled 2+ WAR players are the backbone of successful organizations.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don’t get how you trade a potential solution to our decades long issues in RF. Above average defender, left handed stick, power, Cuban, cost controlled. Just don’t see how you can trade him. 

If it's for Soto, maybe. Otherwise I agree.

23 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There's a Happ to the Sox trade that makes sense, but it definitely isn't this one

Take Colas out of it and it's bit easier to stomach. The Sox just drafted a ton of pitchers. Losing Vera would suck, but there's at least more arms in the system now. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don’t get how you trade a potential solution to our decades long issues in RF. Above average defender, left handed stick, power, Cuban, cost controlled. Just don’t see how you can trade him. 

3 & 1/2 years with the possibility of extending Reynolds further is a long time to have him under club control. I wouldn't trade Colas in a deal for someone who isn't a star with multiple years of team control remaining. But Reynolds was a 6 WAR player last year and he has a higher career wRC+ vs RHP (131) than any player on the White Sox. If they can't land Soto, then acquiring Bryan Reynolds is the next best thing. I love Colas as a player, i'm extremely excited about him etc etc but the odds are overwhelmingly against him ever being as good as Reynolds is right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Take Colas out of it and it's bit easier to stomach. The Sox just drafted a ton of pitchers. Losing Vera would suck, but there's at least more arms in the system now. 

I'd rather do Crochet as the headliner personally, but who knows where the Cubs stand on how realistic it is for him to eventually be a starter

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

if you think he can become as nearly good as Reynolds or better you don't trade him. Just not sure how likely that is . He'd have to make an impact very quickly.

That means the Sox fast track him through the minors based on 100AB sample sizes if they are very good at AA and AAA and then he has to just be better than what they already have next year. It's not a high bar to clear but the steps along the way to get to that point are bound to have some glitches. Just a 20 AB slump will have people freaking out about him.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Crochet only has 4 years of control left. And one of those years is going to be him rehabbing and maybe getting stretched out to be a starter. So any team getting him really only has 3 arbitration years with him. 

Can’t they option him?  I believe he has three of them left, which means a club like the Cubs could give him a couple seasons of minor league time to develop and still have four years of major league control.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

if you think he can become as nearly good as Reynolds or better you don't trade him. Just not sure how likely that is . He'd have to make an impact very quickly.

That means the Sox fast track him through the minors based on 100AB sample sizes if they are very good at AA and AAA and then he has to just be better than what they already have next year. It's not a high bar to clear but the steps along the way to get to that point are bound to have some glitches. Just a 20 AB slump will have people freaking out about him.

Colas isn't ready and won't be until mid 2023.  Reynolds is surely a better player now and will be for the next couple seasons at least, no debate on that. But not sure why Colas has "to make an impact very quickly". 

But its not just Colas for Reynolds, its Colas +++, and really 6.5 seasons of Colas (3.5 of which at league minimum or close) for 3.333 seasons of Reynolds at likely around $10-12M AAV.  

I am not saying I am completely opposed to moving Colas for Reynolds, but for me, Colas is going to be valued very highly based on his proximity to the bigs and the fact that he shores up a ton of weaknesses with this club's construction. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re vastly undervaluing Reynolds.

Let him put together a package of our spare worthless parts and then be dumbfounded when the organization actually has to give up something of value to acquire an asset.  Rinse, repeat.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually I think it is you my friend looking at this all wrong. 

Of course many teams want Crochet. His upside is huge! However if you are weak at pitching prospects in the minors, then you give away position players vs your potential top pitching prospects you already have. The one thing we do have a lot of in the minors are position players. Or perhaps the Sox trade as a package using the pitchers like Ruiz, Martin, Bummer, Foster, Lambert, VV and Banks to name a few.

The Cubs gave up on Cease because they thought he would never reach the potential he has reached...and thus why they felt it was worth giving him up to get Quintana. Btw, that just might just be the worst Cub's trade only second to Lou Brock, especially if Eloy ever reaches his potential.

Be careful what you wish for. If our pitching is still a problem in a few years and we see Crochet go off and have greatness with another team...how will Sox fans feel then? I have many Cubs friends and it sickens them to see Cease killing it and not even have Quintana to show for it. 

The Cuba gave away Cease because he didn’t fit their window and they needed help right now.  Crochet doesn’t fit our window as a starter and if a rebuilding club is willing to commit to him, then he may prove more useful to us as a trade chip than a major league reliever.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

34 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Paying up for a star is almost always the correct play whether that's in FA or a trade, I agree. However, the Sox aren't going to be shopping in that bucket until there's an ownership change. We all know that.

yes, will never get old though pointing out how their "disciplined" FA/player acq strategy ends up wasting just as much if not more money (but over more players, joy)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

.795 isn't bad, but certainly not "one of the best in the game" unless/until he repeats that 2021 a few times.  Sox are 18th in OPS, so, no kidding, he would be one of our best hitters.  But not for our top 2 prospects (good orgs don't trade their top 2 prospects and few in the top 5 anyway).  The package is Burger, Sheets,  maybe Crochet, a low level minor leaguer or 2.  That should do it for the Pirates.

Re our top 2 prospects, they aren't just out of thin air.  They are based on what the Sox do well:

Players from Cuba
Middle infielders:  Escobar, Anderson, Tatis, Semien is top shelf in development.

Oh and Hahn  castoff Luis Gonzales has a .777 OPS with the Giants.  We may not be even having this conversation if the GM was current on analytics and didn't jam the 40-man with  high K reliever who can't throw strikes.

The Sox farm is better than advertised.

The Pirates would laugh at that package.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas isn't ready and won't be until mid 2023.  Reynolds is surely a better player now and will be for the next couple seasons at least, no debate on that. But not sure why Colas has "to make an impact very quickly". 

But its not just Colas for Reynolds, its Colas +++, and really 6.5 seasons of Colas (3.5 of which at league minimum or close) for 3.333 seasons of Reynolds at likely around $10-12M AAV.  

I am not saying I am completely opposed to moving Colas for Reynolds, but for me, Colas is going to be valued very highly based on his proximity to the bigs and the fact that he shores up a ton of weaknesses with this club's construction. 

He has to make an impact very quickly because the window is closing very quickly if we aren't seeing the end of it right now already.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He has to make an impact very quickly because the window is closing very quickly if we aren't seeing the end of it right now already.

If we're worried about a shortened window, maybe we shouldn't trade from the handful of guys that can actually extend it.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If we're worried about a shortened window, maybe we shouldn't trade from the handful of guys that can actually extend it.  

Sure they can extend it but who will be missing from the team in that extended time ? Who will be the starting 5 besides Kopech and Cease? Giolito is gone after 2023. Lynn likely gone also after 2023 unless they pick up his option when he's nearing 37. Will Eloy and Moncada be earning their money? Abreu might finally start showing his age by then. Cueto gone after this year. Then there's the mystery Robert illness to contend with. I mean that can end in less than a week but what if it doesn't ?

We're supposed to be at the height of our window right now and we have a club full of DH's ,under performers and guys who cant stay on the field,and playing .500 ball.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure they can extend it but who will be missing from the team in that extended time ? Who will be the starting 5 besides Kopech and Cease? Giolito is gone after 2023. Lynn likely gone also after 2023 unless they pick up his option when he's nearing 37. Will Eloy and Moncada be earning their money? Abreu might finally start showing his age by then. Cueto gone after this year. Then there's the mystery Robert illness to contend with. I mean that can end in less than a week but what if it doesn't ?

We're supposed to be at the height of our window right now and we have a club full of DH's and playing .500 ball.

Luis Robert's Tragic Illness could the the name of a new White Sox blog. 

• Like 1

Willson Contreras generates the most public speculation among Cubs trade candidates with the deadline a week away, but teammate outfielder Ian Happ has emerged as one of the more in-demand names on the summer market, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports. That’s particularly notable when paired with Happ’s recent acknowledgment that the team has not approached him about a contract extension (link via Patrick Mooney of The Athletic).

Happ is “likely” to be traded within the next week, Passan writes, adding that some interested parties have approached the Cubs about package deals that would see one of Contreras or Happ traded alongside a reliever such as David Robertson or Mychal Givens. (Passan doesn’t specifically mention righty Chris Martin, though as a pending free agent, he’s surely available as well.) More interestingly, Dennis Lin of The Athletic wrote over the weekend that the Padres have expressed interest in adding both Contreras and Happ in the same trade, though the ask on that would surely be immense.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/cubs-trade-rumors-ian-happ-likely.html

" Other bats worth keeping an eye on: Cincinnati utilityman Brandon Drury, who's set to cash in this winter in free agency after a career year; Washington's Nelson Cruz, the perpetual trade-deadline darling; Arizona's David Peralta, a more economical alternative to the bigger names; Cincinnati outfielder Tommy Pham, whose fantasy scenario is joining a contender; and Baltimore's Trey Mancini, a free agent-to-be who could potentially stay but who might be part of a buy-and-sell strategy. "

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/34293330/what-jeff-passan-hearing-one-week-mlb-trade-deadline-offensive-edition

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Want to see the worst trade proposal ever written?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-deadline-trades/

This trade proposal is ass. See this is why I don’t want the front office to touch anything until the off season. Don’t hastily trade away any valuable prospects to try to save this dead ass season. Let this shit die on the vine and maybe our Weekend At Bernie’s manager will go TF back home.