Benintendi to NYY

Jack Parkman

29 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yankees gave their 18th, 24th and non top-40 prospects for Benintendi (fangraphs, 1/22).  None top 20 per Law.
  If the Sox, can give the 18th, 24th and an unrated prospect for Happ, that would be fine.

Yankees gave up their #13, #23, & #29 prospects per BA’s midseason rankings.  They also acquired a rental with limited track of success who is more or less limited to LF.  Happ is a better, more versatile player with an extra year of cheap control, which means the Benintendi price isn’t comparable and our prospects in the 20 to 30 range aren’t nearly as valuable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Yankees system is way deeper than the Sox is.

Yes, as are 90% of them.  That's the nut of it.
 For us to give equivalent talent (or more, as some suggest is necessary), would severely hurt the farm.  We'd likely have to give top 10s.
But I look at opportunity cost when evaluating these trades.   And to give top 10s is just way too high from the Sox perspective, considering the wins added (a couple). 

Edited by GreenSox

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yes, as are 90% of them.  That's the nut of it.
 For us to give equivalent talent (or more, as some suggest is necessary), would severely hurt the farm.  We'd likely have to give top 10s.
But I look at opportunity cost when evaluating these trades.   And to give top 10s is just way too high from the Sox perspective, considering the wins added (a couple). 

Then you won’t find trade partners

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Then you won’t find trade partners

Very difficult in July with the premium prices, yes.    But, as I've posted before, we sold 2 late-inning relievers for 1 Rule 5 guy each, so perhaps that's a possibility.  

This is kind of a circular point, but if the front office actually knew which prospects had ceiling and which didn't, that would help. But it's hard to have confidence that they do - if they were that good with prospects, the farm probably wouldn't be at a deficit.  But they seem to be getting better.
To that end, while trading for Kimbrel was dumb (we didn't need him) trading Madrigal, a known quantity with limited ceiling, was smart.    Should have saved Madrigal for a good player that we really needed.

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Gallo is a loser player.  You don't win important games with loser players which is why the Yankees replaced him with his exact opposite.  This guy knows a loser player when he sees one.

Wow I feel so sorry for that guy and all Yankees fans.  They really lead a tough baseball life, especially this season.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Gallo is a loser player.  You don't win important games with loser players which is why the Yankees replaced him with his exact opposite.  This guy knows a loser player when he sees one.

A majority of the board say Lucas and Moncada are terrible, and Abreu should bounce after this season, despite the fact they are consistently the Sox best performers.

Soxtalk also wanted to dump Cease, Rodon, and Reynaldo Lopez before Katz arrived. A solid faction loved the La Russa hire, the Kimbrel trade, and dumping Rodon last offseason (though some wanted him to get a QO which would have been smart).

Gallo may continue to hit poorly, but that would mean he is on par with the existing group, and at least he is a major league capable defensive everyday RF, which cannot be said for Sheets and Vaughn.

28 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

A majority of the board say Lucas and Moncada are terrible, and Abreu should bounce after this season, despite the fact they are consistently the Sox best performers.

Soxtalk also wanted to dump Cease, Rodon, and Reynaldo Lopez before Katz arrived. A solid faction loved the La Russa hire, the Kimbrel trade, and dumping Rodon last offseason (though some wanted him to get a QO which would have been smart).

Gallo may continue to hit poorly, but that would mean he is on par with the existing group, and at least he is a major league capable defensive everyday RF, which cannot be said for Sheets and Vaughn.

Look man, I’m not looking for a guy whose bat fits in with a shitty offense.  I’m looking for an offensive upgrade not a occasional home run packed around 30 strikeouts every week 

42 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

LuPuss Giolito is terrible. Hopefully Lucas returns soon.

I like Beinintendi but his vax status freaked me out as well as the fact that he doesn't hit for that much power.  The Sox need a big left handed thumper.  If the Sox can't get Soto, and quite frankly given the price tag I don't think Soto is being dealt, Bryan Reynolds would be the ideal fit.

26 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Look man, I’m not looking for a guy whose bat fits in with a shitty offense.  I’m looking for an offensive upgrade not a occasional home run packed around 30 strikeouts every week 

Agreed, but among the guys who are realistically available, there are question marks. I was laying out the worst case scenario (doesn't improve leaving NY). Think there is solid upside based on his splits, the fact he isn't injured, and the fact he has a solid record outside of this season and is still somewhat young (28).

Naquin doesn't have upside, Reynolds and Soto are beyond the Sox ability to acquire. Happ in CF and Robert to RF would work defensively, but don't see Tony or Hahn having the balls to move Robert, even though he has had issues in CF since 2020. Also like moving Robert as far away from Eloy as possible to protect his bat.

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Agreed, but among the guys who are realistically available, there are question marks. I was laying out the worst case scenario (doesn't improve leaving NY). Think there is solid upside based on his splits, the fact he isn't injured, and the fact he has a solid record outside of this season and is still somewhat young (28).

Naquin doesn't have upside, Reynolds and Soto are beyond the Sox ability to acquire. Happ in CF and Robert to RF would work defensively, but don't see Tony or Hahn having the balls to move Robert, even though he has had issues in CF since 2020. Also like moving Robert as far away from Eloy as possible to protect his bat.

A lot of people love Gallos on base skills I just can’t get past how much he can’t hit anymore.  The guy is over a year as a.160 hitter now,  I just don't see a new setting helping him get better nor do I see him making this offense better.  If gallo were the only choice I guess I would say long live Engel 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I like Beinintendi but his vax status freaked me out as well as the fact that he doesn't hit for that much power.  The Sox need a big left handed thumper.  If the Sox can't get Soto, and quite frankly given the price tag I don't think Soto is being dealt, Bryan Reynolds would be the ideal fit.

• Haha 1

The top two players the Yankees' traded at MLB.com have FV45 ratings and having solid years.  The Sox prospects with 45 FV ratings are #7-15 for reference.  That was for a two month rental.  I think Royals did well.

Edited by BamaDoc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I’d rather have Tyler Naquin than Joey Gallo for the rest of this season. That’s how highly I think of Gallo.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

I don't claim to know anything about the guys they gave up, but it always seems like the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Dodgers, etc. pull off these types of trades for non-top prospects.  

Realistically, no one should have been giving up top prospects for a guy like Benintendi anyways.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

A lot of people love Gallos on base skills I just can’t get past how much he can’t hit anymore.  The guy is over a year as a.160 hitter now,  I just don't see a new setting helping him get better nor do I see him making this offense better.  If gallo were the only choice I guess I would say long live Engel 

5 years ago he was among the top 10% in baseball in exit velocity. This year he's at the bottom 1/3. That's a very big difference, with a consistent trend downwards so even though it had a drop this year, it's a drop that fits with what he's done in previous years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Lucass also applies but LuPuss is a better fit.

Really don't understand this.

Top White Sox Pitchers by fWAR

• 2019-2022: 1. Giolito 11.9
  • 2020-2022: 1. Cease 7.2; 2. Giolito 6.9
  • 2021-2022: 1. Cease 7.5; 3. Rodon 4.9; 3. Giolito 4.7
  • 2022: 1. Cease 3.2; 2. R. Lopez 1.5; 3. Cueto & Kopech 0.9; 5. Giolito & Hendriks 0.7

Good teammate. Answers the bell. Most fans like him. Actually gives a shit. Brought in Katz who made Cease, Rodon and Lopez better.