Kiley's Midseason Top 50

DirtySox

Colson on the list at 35. Also lists the next best prospect for each time at the end. Ramos for the White Sox.

35. Colson Montgomery, SS, White Sox

Montgomery was a player many numbers-oriented draft rooms were low on due to the fact that he was already 19 years old as a prep prospect on draft day last summer. He went 22nd overall, at the low end of his expected range (I ranked him 13th), so kudos to the White Sox, whose hauls I historically haven't liked much at the time of the draft. He's still probably a third baseman long-term, but there's easy plus raw power and he has shown a better approach with more hit ability than many expected. If you want to imagine a best-case scenario: Though they aren't the same player, this is similar to what Gunnar Henderson's early returns were like.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/34404296/kiley-mcdaniel-2022-midseason-top-50-mlb-prospects

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The progress the system has made this year has been huge.  My hope is really that the reason we were dead at the break is because the franchise believes these guys are the real thing and they weren't willing to sell them short for short term gain.

I hate to add that we are at the higher end of our payroll and they will need some of these guys to come through while some of the longer term contracts escalate.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some off season trades that change bodies but also probably drop salaries. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I hate to add that we are at the higher end of our payroll and they will need some of these guys to come through while some of the longer term contracts escalate.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some off season trades that change bodies but also probably drop salaries. 

It will never happen, but I like the roster balance more if you do the following, which allows you to keep the payroll similar to this year without losing too much:

- sign Conforto for LF

- put Colas in RF

- Eloy to DH, assuming Abreu is back 

- trade Vaughn and more for Jazz

As for cutting salary, you know I’m on board for trading Yoan and putting Burger at 3rd

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fathom said:

It will never happen, but I like the roster balance more if you do the following, which allows you to keep the payroll similar to this year without losing too much:

- sign Conforto for LF

- put Colas in RF

- Eloy to DH, assuming Abreu is back 

- trade Vaughn and more for Jazz

As for cutting salary, you know I’m on board for trading Yoan and putting Burger at 3rd

This is where you lose me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Lot of people on here eager to trade our most consistent bat

Ya we definitely have a lot more a Grandal problem than a Vaughn problem. Don’t know how much $ and/or prospects we’d have to include to get out of the last year of his deal, but that route should be explored before trading Vaughn. I think a LF/DH platoon of Vaughn and Eloy is more than sufficient if they are both hitting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Lot of people on here eager to trade our most consistent bat

I understand where fathom is going with roster balance, filling out holes, getting this team more athletic...don't disagree with that. 

I also understand Vaughn is a 1B/DH which already lowers his value/impact on the field. 

Having said that, I don't like using a 24 year old cost-controlled bat to acquire another one. Additionally, Vaughn still has less than 1000 PA's in the ML and has shown a ton of improvement in Year 2. I expect him to continue that climb as he matures, I said last week I think Vaughn can put Mike Sweeney type numbers which would be just fine. 

I think I'd actually be more inclined to trade Eloy at this point than Vaughn.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

I understand where fathom is going with roster balance, filling out holes, getting this team more athletic...don't disagree with that. 

I also understand Vaughn is a 1B/DH which already lowers his value/impact on the field. 

Having said that, I don't like using a 24 year old cost-controlled bat to acquire another one. Additionally, Vaughn still has less than 1000 PA's in the ML and has shown a ton of improvement in Year 2. I expect him to continue that climb as he matures, I said last week I think Vaughn can put Mike Sweeney type numbers which would be just fine. 

I think I'd actually be more inclined to trade Eloy at this point than Vaughn.

Eloy won’t get you nearly as much back which is why people like fathom prefer moving Vaughn.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Eloy won’t get you nearly as much back which is why people like fathom prefer moving Vaughn.

Which also works in reverse...it speaks to the value Vaughn has, both to the Marlins...and the White Sox. 

50 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d keep Eloy and Vaughn and let Abreu walk. That’s the solution 

Abreu is our best player and will likely come at a discount.  As we saw with Rodon, letting guys coming off ~5 win seasons go who can be retained on short-term deals is usually bad business.

I guess my question to you would be what are using the savings from not resigning Jose on?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Abreu is our best player and will likely come at a discount.  As we saw with Rodon, letting guys coming off ~5 win seasons go who can be retained on short-term deals is usually bad business.

I guess my question to you would be what are using the savings from not resigning Jose on?

A left handed outfielder would be a good use of that $

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Savings? Jerry Reinsdorf likely isn’t spending any money without playoff revenue. If they bring back Abreu, I think this is essentially the team again. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Letting their best hitter walk away to "fix" a problem would be the most White sox thing ever.

Maybe but his presence creates roster issues. It’s too easy to say Vaughn/Abreu split DH/1B because Grandal and Eloy still exist. It just doesn’t fit. Vaughn should never play the outfield again but he will a lot if Abreu returns 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Then where does Eloy go

Traded if it were up to me. But if he stays, LF and DH and just pray. Eloy is bubble wrap. He can play DH all season and still would get hurt running the bases or swinging in the batters box.

Edited by SoxAce